I want to forge. Part Four: Lets Forge

Lets do this step by step, shall we. I keep being told how easy this is if I know what I’m doing.

So, as an instruction to not only me, but all new forgers, lets do a step-by-step tutorial.

As the thread title states, lets focus, first, on the character.

Part One: Character Set Up

What skills do I need for my forge character? What stats? What level should this alt be before I even consider breaking out the forge?

3 Likes

Bare minimum you need:

8/8 Power
8/8 Vigour
8/8 Intelligence
5/5 Bonus
Forging Epic

which is 34 points, so level 17. This assumes you have a separate crafter character that can make the tools to forge as well as the forge mats. If you want to do that all on the same character you also need

3/3 Forge Ingredient Crafting
2/2 Weapon Crafting
2/2 Tool Crafting
2/2 Tech Crafting
Volume Crafting Epic
Efficient Crafting Epic
Gear Crafting Epic
Tool Crafting Epic

Which comes out to 63 points total, or level 32.

8 Likes

That is a great way to add it all up for a Forger. Never put it all together. Thanks.

1 Like

Good info. So, lets say you only have to worry about forging and, lets say, forge ingredient crafting.

So we are looking at

Forge Character Stats

8/8 Power
8/8 Vitality
8/8 Intelligence
5/5 Bonus
5 - Forging Epic
3/3 Forging Ingredient Crafting
5 - Volume Crafting Epic

42 points.

I’d probably put Forge Ingredient crafting on another character, but lets go with this.

Edit: removed efficient crafting epic.

3 Likes

Unless there is something weird going on behind the scenes, Efficient Crafting shouldn’t have any effect on Forge Ingredient crafting (only makes food, brews, and gear cost less spark per the tool tip, and no forge ingredients use a furnace to get a bonus from the heat reduction). This gets you down to 42 points.

Edit: I forgot that Glass is used to make forge bases, which is done in a furnace, so there isn’t no benefit to it, but you could just as easily have another alt who already has Efficient Crafting make your glass for you.

2 Likes

Excellent. Thank you. Forty-two it is.

Time to update the thread title.

This a step by step progression or max stats and set up :thinking:

Might consider other skills if is a new player like protection skills for gathering, prioritizing other things or maybe Alts to assist your forger.

1 Like

The stats would be the same either way. I’d never suggest someone just starting out try to use the forge before they have the 34 point setup as that is just asking for (more) frustration.

1 Like

Part Two: Gathering Basic Materials

I’m talking the very basics. The Mats that you need for every forge.

What do you need, in what quantities and how are they made?

If they require rare ingredients, what is the best way to gather them?

What is your power situation? Ideally, step 1.5 is “Make/Buy a mass craft of Advanced Centraforge Power Coils and get enough extractor power to be able to make any forge mat…” Or are you coming at this (the thread, not necessarily your setup) from 0 power on both?

1 Like

To dip in the first time,

vital essence (made from most monster drops in an extractor)
glass
charcoal
reactive lamela
syrup
fleshy leaf
thermal sac
viscous blood
creature mantle
flint
sap
ancient vital essence

(optional spitter eyes, and pulsating orbs, if you want to skip pure boon compound 1 and go strait for 2)

amounts vary, but count on glass being the one you need the most of for sure.

All mats can be obtained on tier 3+ planets, on the lower ones I believe lush is the better biome to find most of them.

edit: added setting resin mats

this allows you to make pure boon compounds, effect gum, special gum, longevity gum, and setting resin

4 Likes

I never even considered that. I guess there should be a power section. But “get enough power coils” is pretty self explanitory.

You will need atmospheric resistances. Mainly for reactivate lamella. Volitile resistance level 3.

You can make syrup from berries too but sap is more plentiful I think. So adding points info axe mastery or axe/shovel epic might be good. Plus you need charcoal so you get two items for the price of 1 axe.

1 Like

I kinda figure your forge character isn’t doing the gathering. Same with crafting. By the time you are forging, you should have a pretty high level gatherer.

I’ll make an adendum for this and coils at the end.

I would probably remove all my crafting from my forger. Because they have so many high stats health, damage boost they can make good hunters/Gatherers/Miners but crafting might need to place somewhere else.

Vital essence and Glass are pretty straight forward. Dirt, Sand, and mob drops.

-Reactive lamella I hunt underwater on most planets. I prefer Shedu Tier(T5) or Besverona(T4?)
Shedu Tier is also great for Orbs of all kind and Bitter bean from stardrop plants on Ice bioms.

-Charcoal and syrup and Sap come from harvesting trunks, I hunt Giant trees with an AOE axe on Trior or another planet(Gellis?)

Thermal sac, Creature Mantle and Viscous blood can be obtained by hunting. I usually use request baskes for those.

Flint and Ancient Essence come from fossils from mining. Flint is too easy almost.

I have gathered most my ingredients in the past from Shedu Tier and trees from Trior and Mining anywhere.

OH and for more advanced forging recipes you’ll need mob trophies. I go through lots of Thermal cores. (I buy them)

2 Likes

What, underwater, is giving you the reactive? I know you can get it from the glowing shrooms on land.

Yessir. Pop a reactive in an atlas of Shedu Tier and watch it light up. After an hour i can come out with 500-600 or more. Movement skill REALLLLLYYY helps your swimming abilities. And recently people have been using the sinking QUIRK to improve efficiency

I strongly suggest going underwater rather than hunting shrooms. For Lamellas at least.

Shimmering Orbs should have a line item.
Can be found in growth fields across Circapous or most T5/6 planets. Galan is great. Im about to open my own growth farm there. (Shout to P.U.R.E. who already has a growth farm.)

1 Like

What mittens said, those squiggly plants in shallow water (i like besevrona) are everywhere and drop reactive lamella

1 Like

Next section, sir. Still on basics. :slight_smile: