"Illegal Protocol Message" - cannot get to homeworld or exit sanctum

I have tried to report this issue 5 times now from in-game. The stupid error reporting system keeps sending the darned message before I’m done typing it. That is incredibly irritating. Also, the fact that I can’t type more than 2 sentences or so to describe a problem? come on. seriously.

In any case, I have been having this problem for 15 hours or so - I cannot get 2 of my characters out of the sanctum. They are the 2 that I play the most, so this is incredibly frustrating. I had been on an exo, the exo ended, I am trying to portal back to my home beacons/homeworld (Sorissi) and I just keep getting the “illegal protocol message” error.
I really want to play the game. I have tried rebooting the computer, the router and modem, steam, and the game multiple times now. Nothing is helping. My 3rd character that had been on the exo planet got home just fine - why can’t these 2?

I really really appreciate any help you may be able to offer me. I’d really like to play the game. Thank you!

Came to say the same thing, cannot use the warps in the sanctum. Luckily was not on an exo, sorry that you’re stuck friend

Which of the reporting options were you using? Also, are you playing on PC or Mac?

@blake @james @lucadeltodecso

I apologize for the late reply, it’s just morning here now.

I play on PC, through Steam, and I used the menu to report from within game: Esc > Support > Report Issue

I checked, and my characters are still stuck this morning, unfortunately. Please let me know if you require any more information. And thank you so much for your attention to this! <3

Thanks for the reply. Could you submit a game log just after the message appears on screen once more? To do this, select Main Menu → Support → Report → Submit Game Log.

Alternatively, if you want to submit a game log when the message is currently on screen, you can follow the instruction in the link below:

I can do that, I think.
So, just after I have tried to warp one of them home and it’s giving me the “Illegal Protocol Message” error on the portal, I should use the escape > support menu to submit a game log? Do I need to manually go to the game log in local appdata and copy it to pastebin first or anything? or should the game just automatically grab it if I use the “submit game log” option through that menu? OR do you want me to grab the log manually and paste it (or a link to it) here in the forum? Sorry, just don’t quite understand what I need to do here to successfully get you the log. Thanks so much!

I tried just using the “submit error log” option from in-game (from the sanctum) right after it gave me the message (I hope that’s okay - not sure when the errors get written to the log) - I submitted it with the following message (to hopefully identify it as my log/issue being sent to you):

“I was on an exo, it ended. Tried to warp 3 characters home to Sorissi. 1 was able, 2 (LilliSandrya & CarmelaBella) are stuck in sanctum with “illegal protocol message” when they try to warp home. I can’t get them out of sanctum if they can’t warp home.”

Please do let me know if the log did not send properly or I did something wrong, or if you need anything else from me. Thanks again, so much!

We should receive the game log eventually.

As for the other question about using Gist or Pastebin, you use that if you want to grab the game log from the path specified in that link.

okay, well, just let me know, of course, if you guys don’t receive it. I can post it here or something, if needed.

Your game log has been received and has been passed over to the relevant software engineers. As for posting the log on the forum, you can still do that if you like, in the event that another player might come across the same issue and may want to check if the game log information is the same.

Glad to hear it. thank you!

I know these things can take time, so I’ll do my best to be patient, however eager I may be to play. :smiley:

I really appreciate all of your attention to this and your help, in the meantime. thank you so much!

Is there any chance that there’s any news about what’s going on with this?
It’s been a week since I’ve been able to play them - is there at least some way that someone could aid me in getting them out of the sanctum again, please?
I’d really really appreciate it if I could play my characters again.

Thank you, again, for any help you may be able to offer with this! <3

I can try and find out from the software engineers to see if there’s been any update on this.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that.

Do you also have options to warp to other worlds, or is your home beacon the only warp location available?

I think they have options to warp to other beacons (or at least one does, not sure about the other), but they don’t have the skills. I’d really rather not waste respec points and, I believe, something like 10k to get the both of them home, if there are any other options.

If I spend the coin and the respec points, is it at all possible to have those somehow credited back to me?

The game just did it again, with a third character. ::sigh:: I forgot to breathe for a moment. hahaha
Super luckily, though, she was coming from an exo that hadn’t yet disappeared - so I was able to change the warp to another location, leave sanctum, reenter, and then it let me teleport home.

Just figured I’d note it. It may very well have just been a random, unrelated occurrence of the illegal protocol message, like you get sometimes on random portals - or it may have been related to the same problem that the other 2 characters are having. Just wanted to let you guys know. I didn’t think to send a log this time - if it happens again, I will try to remember to do that for you guys.

So you’re still able to play with that third character?

Sorry - yes, the third character is fine. I was able to get her out with a bit of fiddling around. Was just reporting it in case it might be related.

Thanks for confirming

How many saved locations do you have in total?