IMPORTANT: Beacon reservation abuse is officially banned!

I see what you did there :rofl:

1 Like

@Valkirth
Think i am alt least €300,- not a lot and it might already be far more.

Don’t know because i also bought cosmetics with it. (Not counting GC but thats €100,- give or take).

I like the game so I don’t mind.

(To continue on topic it self)

Saw “Pay to win” plopping by several times.
Because you can buy plots…(or must to keep the land in some cases)

1. Before plot protection was added the general point of view was. plot what you can, as fast as you can.
    So if you wanted a good piece of land claim it as fast as you possibly can.
  2. Don’t see the problem with taking a step back from the “use Plot Protection to claim at leaste half of the land more”.
  3. Some of us already saw this problem in some version happen before plot protection was released. And we got told that wasn’t the intention for this system. And shouldn’t use it to double our land.

So basically we get limited by a ratio of “compact beacon”/plot protection.
(What ever “compact beacon” conditions are).

:wink:

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong there are concerns of what this means because of infrastructure (roads/paths).

I think this works for players willing to spend real dollars for cosmetics, but what about those of us that really do not care about cosmetic items? What will they offer to get me to spend real dollars past the initial cost of the game? Even with Gleam Club I may have used a different color for my character because I could but would not have bought gleam club for that feature. I have bought cubits to exchange for plots, without that my spend would be down substantially. It might also affect if I need gleam club, because if I have fewer plots then I have fewer builds and may not need to have the convenience of getting my portals fueled if I only have one or two.

1 Like

I’ve come across players who have hit level 50 and still don’t know that you have to plot everywhere you put stuff down or looters/world regen will carry it off…

2 Likes

I love your build , please expand . Almost everyday I go and spend time there to see all the changes and expansion. Unfortunately we live in different countries and you are hardly ever there when I am :confused:.

4 Likes

well that is a fair point and not everyone is gonna want/like cosmetics,but then you also have to take into account what’s best for the dev’s in terms of revenue vs perception of a feature many players would consider p2w keeping a vast number of players away which causes the dev’s to bring in far less than they could vs keeping the controversial feature in to keep the minority happy.

What if someone puts up a wall around your town? There are doors and openings that go through it, but it is still there, preventing expansion. And then quits the game. Do you report it or leave it?

was it done deliberately? if so try to resolve the issue with guilty party,if you cant do that you should report it,griefing isn’t tolerated and should be dealt with.

1 Like

I think you would need to have some facts to back up the statement that is keeps only a minority happy or that it would generate more revenue. If we have players that are spending hundreds on plots would they spend hundreds on cosmetics or maybe only a few dollars? Of course we cannot know for sure.

Also as far as what players perceive as P2W also seems to not be easily defined. Is it the fact that after buying the game real dollars can be spent on items for the game? Is it the way the rewards look like loot boxes in other games? What is winning in Boundless anyway? Can we even agree that there is a way to win? I guess my question always comes down to, what can be bought with real dollars that cannot be earned in game? As far as I know the answer is nothing.

1 Like

This game is very easy in a sense to gain plots every single time you level up. Just have to sink time into the game. Build for what you can achieve. If a player wants to actually spend $100’s or even $1000’s of their actual money to buy plots to cover a planet, do you honestly see this as “winning”???

3 Likes

that’s like saying in many games that selling a $30 item to 100 people makes you alot of money vs only charging $10 and selling it to 8000 people,your right that we don’t know for a fact so tbh its pointless saying the only way to generate money is selling plots

for the record i don’t consider it p2w but i have been around awhile and was here when steam blew up with reviews of p2w with over 15k+ comments saying they are going to avoid this “greedy mobile style cash grab” that alone has caused a much smaller player base then we would have otherwise.

to me i define p2w as gaining an advantage with money that can’t be gained by playing the game (like when some of the mmo’s ive played sold stat items you couldn’t get in game)

1 Like

P2W i buy plots plop them down and have to buy some more…
Want to go up buy some plots plop them down and again buy some more.

Am i losing or winning? Unless i reclaim everything it feels like i am losing cubits faster then get them. Might be a hole in my menu and am sprinkling cubits every where.
:wink:

Buy Cosmetic, spend some money ooooh i am winning junk in my inventory that ill prob wear one time a year.

2 Likes

Players can “pay” to get more characters, slots and plots, the rest really doesn’t matter in terms of winning so much. These players paying for plots still have to play the game, still have to gather mats, still have to make in game currency, and still put in the efforts to build within their potentially massive plots. I don’t really see a win there personally…

Unless players whining about P2W are simply blinded by the prestige system and then saying someone having all those plots must have the most prestige? It’s possible, but still requires effort and game time put into those plots for building needs…

5 Likes

@james I reported a similar thing a while back in game and on here but still the same. A player has build a shop in the water near my build and then build long paths in 4 directions out from this which is preventing me from expanding. Once the paths hit land he has dug a tunnel running parallel to my build and then left it like this for over 5 months now and clearly has no intention of building anything.

1 Like

this is exactly the reason i personally don’t consider it p2w,sure you have 50k plots,GL now farming the materials to fill that in to justify buying that many.

1 Like

Agreed and I never said that. The developers offer cosmetics and plots that can be bought with cubits. So even the cosmetic items can be bought by earning cubits in game rather that buying cubits with real cash.

I am not sure where the figure of 15k + comments comes from but I will acknowledge that the game has issues with the perception of microtransactions, probably for a lot of reasons. But in the end, how do you suggest they pay to keep the servers running? How does an MMO continue to be an MMO without a steady flow of money? They can make players buy a subscription to play or offer transactions in game. At least in Boundless, the things I can buy with real cash are no different that the things I can buy by playing the game which is not the case in many games with In game transactions (Fallout 4 as an example). At least with Boundless you are not required to spend any more than the initial purchase of the game and can let other players through Gleam Club or cubit purchases, pay to keep the game you are playing running.

As I stated this I would agree with you on this. If you can buy some super weapon that you cannot get through game play then I would also define it as P2W.

1 Like

If my build is blocked off as a result, which is why this change is being introduced, aggressive plotting using a buffer, then yea I consider that winning because I then can’t finish my build and will have to quit or move.

Just because people have more time to play than others doesn’t mean those with less time should be bullied around with their builds. That’s going to shrink any potential playerbase real fast.

1 Like

tbh the dev’s take a hard stance on this so if you can’t resolve the issue with them speak to the dev’s and see what they say.

1 Like

ok you have a fair point better to have many ways to generate money even if some don’t like it,i don’t have an issue with being able to buy plots personally (without them we wouldn’t have the mall’s or portal hubs which has been a huge help imho and we have a great community) but i just knew when they mentioned being able to buy plots it wouldn’t go down well with most (this was mainly due to the backlash of EA/activision’s loot box debacle that was going on which caused a lot of hate towards anything that remotely looked like loot boxes/p2w)

at the time the top 5 steam reviews alone had 27k up likes and 30+ pages of comments each and the reviews went on into the hundreds like it,ofc many of us try to defend boundless pointing out it wasn’t p2w but most just backlash saying we were defending greed etc.