IMPORTANT: Beacon reservation abuse is officially banned!

What are buffers vs reserved plots?

You find a spot when you have all the plots you need.

2 Likes

@james

Does vertical plot density play a factor in the equation?

I am not shy to say, I used this to reserve where I want to build on Phem, where I have been since live. I have been slowly expanding my base claiming all the way to bedrock as I build underground, but I have the spiderweb above ground.

Say my inner base is 6k plots…but that is a very dense tight square that owns bedrock/sky box…and I have spiderwebs going out 10 plots around the base. Does this system calculate the weight of that inner square or does it only matter that my 6k plots are in a 6x6 square and therefore are limited in this new method?

I am actively plotting now to update my base, just wondering as I plan how to use the plots I have

Seems to be addressed. Probably easily handled if you have so many empty sky plots but it might impinge on your sense of totality for a while.

1 Like

The rules apply to all, the rule would be enforced by the game code preventing the addition of plots to a beacon once the proportion if the beacon’s horizontal reserves to its plotted plots hits level spaghetti web. It’s calculated on the 2D grid.

I hear ya there, it would not be fun to have that happen but i suppose its the risk you take for starting a project thats bigger than you can handle at that time. Just wait till you have enough plots.

2 Likes

Mmhm because this works when you have an ever growing build.

We seriously need private planets.

4 Likes

That is a very good step to more realistic using of areas.
As older the game will be, as more plots people will have and as less space we have at the planets with this total reservations. That i think is the main cause. And i am totally up for preventing this.

I just have a question about the line you will draw.
We plotted some areas at the sides around Ultima Network at Eresho, to be able to expand later on.
But that are all supposed to be roads with some free obtainable space inbetween, always with a possibility to open more space, if needed.
Will be this kind of reservation affected too?
I guess not, but surely good to know a clear statement in this case.

1 Like

Isn’t the buffer off in the mall? I understood that if the ratio of plotted land to reservations gets high enough it gets triggered. If you have don’t have reservations on, the ratio should stay as high as possible, no?

I assume that the ratio threshold will be set to such a point where false positives aren’t a thing. In the example image the ratio seems to be close to 50%, I can’t imagine how someone would accidentally plot like that and want to keep the buffer on. (Other than the exact case this change is aiming to disallow, claiming more land than you have plots, by abusing the reservations)

1 Like

Other then malls and markets…i dont understand what all the uproar is about. people should not be able to reserve a massive amount of land by cheating the system.

6 Likes

I’m not really concerned about the mall - just really asking hypothetical questions…seeing if this was well thought-out or if it will be another thing tossed at the plotting system that will cause more problems.

If someone does that, I would argue that is the fault of the previous rules, the plotting system, and/or the buffer system. As you can see from the comments, a lot of players have admitted to using the system in this way which means:
A. The rules aren’t clear
B. The system isn’t a good one

4 Likes

Maybe I read too much in to the wording, but to me

Sounds like the game will not allow you to plot this way in the future, ban may be a strong word, but I hope it only means that you won’t be able to add plots to a beacon that has reached the ratio threshold. There should be an error message when you hit this limit so you know what’s up.

But I agree the plotting system has it’s issues, this is simply the devs adding a simple check (the ratio), which doesn’t sound like a hard to implement thing. Maybe they will rework the system in the future, who knows, but if they are focusing their efforts somewhere else atm I’ll survive, I’d rather see the new content they’ve teased :drooling_face:

1 Like

I agree with this - maybe some kinda of statement on that beacon too or maybe the plots will show up as red on the plot viewer? (Especially since this is going to apply to existing builds)

1 Like

or maybe a message at the side of the screen (kinda like how the tips pop up),some people like me use red as the beacon color as you can change it these days.

I’d suggest not banning this, but instead set it so that any reserved plot that is surrounded by reserved plots is removed.

Seeing as everyone wants their virtual space would it not be easier to do away with buffers altogether and make it automatic that you can’t plot within 2 plots of another player unless they give you perms to do so?
Also maybe some beacons settings for build type like mall, town etc which allow plotting in and touching plots?

2 Likes

Good to know

Isn’t this the same as the buffer?

1 Like

So basically i am good and don’t have to worry when implemented. Unless you guys make an mistake and big portions of my builds start to disappear.

Lol “you have plotted to much”. Whoops :sweat_smile:

It is when protection is on.