IMPORTANT: Beacon reservation abuse is officially banned!

Nothing. People can still continue to do so, they just need the plots to fully fill-in the “reserved” areas.

5 Likes

I think there should be some way in game to plan a giant build you don’t have the plots and reserve them for future use. Perhaps giant reservations (more than 50x50 plots say) might be restricted to limited planets.

I know a lot of people want to start a giant build and slowly create it over time without being plotblocked, but they don’t have the plots at the start and by the time they do their ideal spot is blocked. Like with hearth guard. I think there should be a system to help these sorts of builders achieve their goals.

There are some people who want an undisturbed vista. They probably need private planets, or at least private regions (hmmm now that’s an idea, I probably couldn’t pay for a planet long long term but a region I could do).

rent regions in your rental planet to pay for your rental planet…

4 Likes

That’s a lil too meta :wink:

But what happens when someone doesn’t pay their rent?

For that matter what happens to a rental planet if rent isn’t paid?

2 Likes

If a rental planet is not paid for after 60 days it should turn in to a exo!

1 Like

Yeah but is all my stuff debeaconed?

Yes it would be a free for all if you didnt take it all within the time frame

1 Like

What’s that guy’s name, the one who loves scavenging? This idea/implementation would make him so hype

They should do something clever for this. Like have a NPC oortian with a clipboard and tie follow you around going “tsk tsk” and preventing you from using machines until you fix it

6 Likes

I will not disagree that it would be useful to have more information on how exactly the mechanic will work. However, what we have had in the past is that once the rules are explained, players then find a way to use the mechanic in a way that is not intended but is still within the rules. The buffer zones are a clear example. James stated the buffers were there to protect builds from being merged.

It was not intended to be used as a way to reserve more area than you have plots. Of course being the smart people we are we quickly figured out how to use it in a way not intended and within the rules. Now they are letting us know the rules are changing. If they get too specific then do they end up with players doing just enough of what they are trying to prevent but still be in the rules?

I also do not think a public comment period is necessary or a good idea. After all they are responsible for the game and its mechanics, we can either play the game or not play the game. We vote with our wallets. I think all a public comment period does is have players pick sides and create more of the drama so many players want to avoid. The developers are going to have to be able to change game mechanics in small and large ways if we hope to have the game grow. They cannot and should not have a relatively small group of players trying to dictate what direction the game takes.

As far as giving current violators time to adjust to the change, I very much agree. They should get (if possible) a warning when they log in and at least a month to remedy their build.

4 Likes

Public comment might have alleviated the damage from the prestige variation nerf. And it would have outright prevented the marble fiasco. The devs are generally pretty open to input too.

2 Likes

I think this actually depends. If you are saying it would be better to let players have more notice when a change like this is going to happen, I would agree. However, we both know if you do then you get players quickly using or doing something before the change. This can be seen as good or bad.

If you are saying that because there was a group of players that was not happy and therefore they should not have made the change then I would disagree. There are always going to be players that are not going to like a change in a game that they are already playing. So if there are enough players that do not like a change then the developers should not do it? This is where I have a problem. There are not enough people playing Boundless. The game is going to have to change and players are not all going to be happy with every change. For example, the prestige change, while I agree did affect some players a great deal more than others, was in the end needed of you really want a system where the more effort or harder to get items have higher prestige.

edit: A personal example for me is the lighting change. I ruined my build and I was forced to either never be able to see anything in my workshop or storage area or rebuild. I detested the change as you can see if you check my post history. But in the end, I did rebuild and the developers did what they thought was best for the ongoing success of the game.

2 Likes

There are ways they could have alleviated it. I think that mistakes were made and lessons were learned.

In general there will always be people unhappy with any changes. Or any other thing you do. But I think it’s good for the devs to have numbers on how the player base feels. I think James is like me and likes polls. That’s why I post so many, I figure it helps the devs. Also I’m typically curious as to how people feel. Polls are like the evening news for boundless :wink:

1 Like

Would like that npc running around would make it busy er every where. The only thing now missing is a tumbleweed rolling around every where.

1 Like

I’ve previously thought it would be neat if dust collected on your build if you didn’t visit once a month. If nothing else it would help people recognize inactive shops.

6 Likes

Nothing i would say. I am on my 2nd try to build “alone”, more or less succesful Right now, planning a build for 22k plots.
But i build slow, making the plots while i build. Yea i Risk getting blocked or having to actual talk with People how/if they want to merge or move.
Should i spend Money and plot all 22k plots so i dont have to bend rules? As People Keep saying “plot what you actually use”. Its what i do Right now. If i get stopped cold i quit the game, Nothing to worry in the end.
I could plot the whole area i Need for the finished build, except now it is to late as People are allready in the area with builds.
So what is left? Leaving game or interacting with the owners of the Areas my Building will encompass eventually.
So far, i had 2 People who were/are Blocking my build.
! of them clearly quit the game so it was a matter of time before the beacon vanished. With the other Person i got a deal to build around his build, which Needs some Talking with Devs in the near future About the walling-in aspect.
You see, the solution is allways there, it Needs work and talk or simply quit. But bending the rules to a Point where it interferes with to many other unwilling People is a no for me. It would go against me to simply overrun a persons build, even i have the Money and plots to do if i want to. I rather stop playing and try in the next game.
But plotting half a planet for a "Maybe i get there " build IF that even was the thinking, that i would never do.

This is derailing and not on Topic, so if you still think i attacked you personally lets do PMs.

1 Like

I don’t see it as an attack, and I understand your point of view even if my own differs.

In any case its up to the devs, and right now it seems pretty clear what their stance is ahah.

1 Like

If you Need plots to protect you build, fill in the protect zones, let me know.

Gaaahhh!!! You guys, everyone. Claim large areas! Go nuts!! But use plots instead of your current preferred method of large square of one or two plots in a ring, then abusing the buffer of reserved land in between followed by another ring of plots touching your buffer, and repeat as much an needed… Just use your plots.

Many having an issue with this are guilty of abusing the systems reserved function each beacon gives by laying out your plots in this fashion, which then abuses the reserved land feature treating it as a multiplier to your plots…where your plots should be…

You don’t want to have people building inside your area that’s cool, use your plots to claim an area. The reserved land protects the outside of your land, not all this empty inside land which is the abuse part of it.

5 Likes

I would If I had the plots for it, but I dont, which is why I use reservation plots.