šŸ“– Ingame Likes/Hearts for builds (Guestbook)

yes, ok, look at the dictionary, ā€˜prestigeā€™ inside Boundless is a game mechanic, and is based on the blocks you place on your plots. Expensive blocks = more prestige, and this is a matter of wealth

1 Like

But prestige is supposed to be a qualifier of how good the building or whatever has been built is. Allowing for stored items to count would go against this, as a wooden shack with a few storage blocks could end up having more prestige than a well built house that has lots of advanced materials used.

7 Likes

That depends on what your definition of wealth is within the game ā€¦ I can make more expensive blocks if I had more time to gather the necessary materials and I donā€™t have a lot of coin because thatā€™s not my motivation within the game.

1 Like

I think the intent was for prestige to be a reward for builders. That is why it is tied to materials used in the build and not coin or items stored. Personally, I think prestige should not include coin or stored materials. If the developers want to reward wealth, then maybe a new mechanic should be added

6 Likes

Wealth is its own reward. It does not need to be rewarded. Thatā€™s a feedback loop.

12 Likes

How about a guestbook prop that you can craft and place where you want in your build and players interacting with it can leave short messages or just press a heart button to leave a like.
Messages and Likes would be stored in the beacon and guestbooks are just means to access it, so having multiple guestbooks access the same messages and likes and moving guestbooks would be no problem.

That would solve the ā€œwhere to put the interactionā€ problem.

giorgio-cinque-e9135760d1ea245d25746e0e7ab0670f

17 Likes

that would be awesome, I absolutely love this idea.

4 Likes

I can alrdy see people doing "continue the story with 5 words :dd

3 Likes

Iā€™m still thinking on this. I cannot see how prestige is a reward for builders. Letā€™s say I want to create a medieval town or just a castle. My main materials will be just wood and stone. In which way prestige helps me?
On the other hand if I am a miner/crafting I can just mine/refine and place expensive block, and the I will have a high prestige even if my building is just an assorted blocks cube.
I also heard the term ā€˜fake prestigeā€™ for this kind of building, but I think is more a problem of a missleading mechanic (prestige points)
I donā€™t wanā€™t to have an argument with anybody. Itā€™s just my point of view

3 Likes

If you want a medieval castle or whatever made of wood and stone and want to also have high prestige it seems you are supposed to do something like make an underground vault that you totally fill with high prestige garbage or triple thick walls so that the middle layer is high prestige garbage. It is a very poorly named game mechanic as prestige in Boundless has little to do with the definition of prestige. High prestige generally means looks like garbage unless kept out of sight in Boundless since simple stone and wood will almost always look better and usually with no gleam in sight. So, if you want awesome looking builds and high prestige you hide all the high ā€œprestigeā€ blocks underground, in hidden rooms, or inside the walls.

1 Like

Essentially you are right. However there is a way to satisfy both ends - build what you want and have solid prestige. You wonā€™t beat decorative gem castle, however, for medieval style think of this:

1. Use high end wood and stone (refined/decorative) and higher prestige materials (decorative gem, some machined/refined metals) can be added around within that style too. So even without tricks you might end up with quite high prestige.

2. if you make it your main base with crafting machines/power coils and storage inside or basement, it will add quite a lot to prestige as well.

Most of all remember to have fun and build what you love.

2 Likes

or find a talented builder for the surface and a dwarf like me for the underground. :wink:
anyway I really would like to ā€œlikeā€ buildings. Is amazing what people did in this game.

2 Likes

I really like the idea of the guestbook, infact any systems where it lets you leave notes for other players would be great. I could leave notes for friends (ā€œIā€™m away for a week, feed the portal!ā€) , maybe post some mail to people (attach blocks as a gift like animal crossing), And the guestbook for people leaving messages about my build. That would be fantastic.

3 Likes

Sorry, didnā€™t read whole topic, I stopped at this. Thatā€™s an opinion stated at fact. There are many people who does not care about the likes. Imagine, that there are people who really donā€™t give a ā– ā– ā– ā–  about whether other like or not their buildings and plots etc.

I donā€™t mind this whole like/dislike if I could do two things: turn off seeing this narcissistic bullshit when I enter world, city, building, and turn it completely off for my buildings.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly why it should an optional prop that can craft and setup if you want it and where you want it.

3 Likes

Iā€™d love a way to provide feedback on builds, particularly builds that I like in town.

I donā€™t often run into the builder while Iā€™m looking around town, so Iā€™d love a way to leave a simple message or a heart/like on these builds. Iā€™d also like to see what builds or features people like that I make.

1 Like

And actually a guestbook is a great thing. But without that stupid meaningless hearts, likes or whatever. If you truly appreciate the creation (building, whatever), leave a meaningful message.

1 Like

hmm /draws Ascii Art d**ks in all the books :crazy_face:

1 Like

That is actually more meaningfull than a like. Iā€™d rather have ducks (you meant duck right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) in my guestbook then billion facebook-likes.

Incoming ROFLCOPTER!

ROFL:ROFL:ROFL:ROFL
         ___^___ _
 L    __/      [] \    
LOL===__           \ 
 L      \___ ___ ___]
              I   I
          ----------/
4 Likes

of courseā€¦ stupid auto-correct :roll_eyes:
:grin: