Interactive blocks

I know some of these suggestions will not be liked by some. But a couple of searches left me without much for these suggestions so I’ll put them here.

We have lots of great looking blocks to build with currently. Our interactive blocks are a fair bit more limited. When I say interactive, I mean when we walk on, jump, fall, or hit a block it causes some behavior with our character.

Currently we have:
Slide block
Trampoline block
Ice

Currently ice and slides do similar things, they reduce friction when we stand on them. Trampolines negate fall damage, and are “bouncy” and… that’s about it.

I would like to see some more types of blocks which alter our characters. For instance:

Healing liquid - you restore health faster, like a hotspring bath.

Track block - has slightly increased friction meaning you both run and stop faster (like a track and field track)

Lift block - reduces gravity, allowing you to jump higher when you jump on the block.

Mud/muck block - why does mud not make us move slower? If we leave mud alone, we could still add muck to reduce movement speed, and make increased jumping skills not work.

Conveyer belt - move players and creatures in a preset path.

Feel free to add your own ideas! Just think of all the fun playground stuff we could make with some of this stuff. With some more tools like this we could make new kinds of games and competitions.

13 Likes

I think we need more… There was a post at one point for dungeon triggers and other things like that. I do think it is time for blocks like these that create the options where people can create their own things and content for interactions.

3 Likes

Some things that have popped into my head recently… data gatherers… guild management features, etc. I’m sure this could be built upon.

2 Likes

I think being able to bestow the properties of these special blocks on to normal blocks would be really useful.
It would be unpredictable for one, and secondly it would help to combine functionality with asthetics for example if I could combine trampoline with some metal blocks I could change out the floor at the tnt megahub and it would look much nicer but still retain being able to launch yourself from the top without dying.

3 Likes

Great idea @Envyv77

I’ve often thought to myself its a shame the trampolines are necessary in your place.

I’ve never used a trampoline before funnily enough. Can it be chiselled and covered with a liquid? Maybe petroleum for example? No idea how that would look but just a thought.

1 Like

I am a strong advocate of more interactive blocks, the ice/slide, trampoline, and door/trapdoors are all brilliant blocks and can’t wait to see if/what more blocks like that we get in the future!

I think that Thorns was originally meant to do some damage and Tangle was meant to make a player move slower when coming into contact with it?

4 Likes

This one?

I’d also like to see a change made to the trampoline block too. Currently you bounce and it diminishes, even if you are still holding jump. If you’re holding jump, I think it should continue to make you bounce at whatever height you originally interacted with it. Could make for some fun mechanics.

4 Likes

Musical blocks

Perhaps each color could make a different note or sound?

2 Likes

Thanks buddy some good suggestions there I might give that a try

1 Like

+50% run speed blocks would turn roads into… actually useful roads. Of course you’ll take 2k+ damage if you step on a pebble while running barefoot though…

3 Likes

super slippery blocks would be good for short slides. it’ll make them even faster!

1 Like

Im waiting for some blocks like this so i can start building some competitive slides, Mud is not yet enough of an obstacle…

I suggest a quick modification on how @Fiffer13’s ideas are displayed.

Could be nice to edit the OP with all the ideas suggested if @Fiffer13 likes them. :wink:
@DKPuncherello’s musical block idea sounds awesome… < cough > pun intended.

And here are a few I just thought about.

Ungraspable block

Grapples don’t work on this block. Could be useful for platforming challenges.

Signal block

If you place this block while targetting the face of another block, it will generate a beam of light in the same direction (so, aim at the North-facing side of a block, the beam will be oriented to the North).
Gleam could be part of the recipe to affect the color of the beam. A transformation chisel could change the style of the beam. This could be a way to add the Sanctum effect we see next to the plinths and warps.
As an example, what I have in mind would be like the Beacons in Creativerse :

Pressure plate

It wouldn’t be an actual block in terms of shape, but it would look like a plate with a set of footprints on it.
Walking on it would interact with all unlocked doors/trapdoors in a range similar to how a lock selects doors/trapdoors/chests.
Maybe further down the line, it could activate other things such as…

Jump pad

This is a block which would throw the player forward in a curved jump, like the jump plates in the Portal games which have a setting option to change the curve of the jump.

2 Likes

I’d give my first born for some of those conveyor blocks- however I agree that we really need some kind of conveyor most of all- an ability to move players along a preset track without any input on the players part
it’d be even cooler if we could stack those same blocks vertically and have them double as a track elevator :wink:

1 Like