Introducing the PS Planet Explorer

So I’ve definitely got fresh css/javacarp from the server in Firefox, the alignment issue in the binocular icon is still a problem in Firefox.

Awesome, thanks!

Still fails for me now. After 20 sec or so (presumably loading the 15mb file) it crashes both in chrome and safari incognitos

I like the spinner though!

This should now be fixed in Firefox. You may need to clear cache before you see the fix.

1 Like

So over the weekend, I rewrote the main portion of the Planet Explorer in a new framework (Vuejs) for better rendering performance over the framework I was using (Knockoutjs). Everyone should now see significantly quicker rendering once the initial dump file is finished downloading from Boundlexx.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at a spinning symbol now for 10 minutes, is it supposed to take this long with the new framework?

It loaded in 8 seconds for me (it was taking much longer before). PC/chrome

Am on WIn10/Chrome too, still not done with loading :frowning:

Hmm, when I open it in incognito mode it loads rather quickly!

Not added yet, I saw??

It works great for me , I check for Black ancient wood every day :slight_smile:

It shouldn’t take longer than 10s or so to load. Could you try clearing your cache and such? You could try opening it in an incognito window.

Then it works indeed yes… Weird tho, caching issue?

Yeap - caching. If you clear your cache you should be good. I made sure sand and gravel were part of the watcher as well.

1 Like

Minor update today:

1. Updated header of each planet to be consistent across all three views and am now just displaying all three planet view options within said header. No more “jumpy” buttons as you switch between planet views. This also has a small performance boost as it reduces the divs needed to be rendered.
  2. Added the ability to sort by non-gem resources including coal and all metals.
  3. Quadruple-made-sure that sand and gravel were added to the watcher (binoculars) <3
2 Likes

Now that everyone has had just under a week to play around with the Planet Explorer, I’m curious what enhancements/changes you’d like to see?

For example, here’s a couple things I was thinking about doing:

1. Provide a “special” filter that allows you to select from among specific block types and then type in a color. Click “Search” and it will filter down the planet list to just those planets with an exact match on the block type and color (partials would be fine) you typed in. This would make it easier to find that specific block of a specific color and know exactly where to go to find it

2. Make the top bar with the filter and sort icons into a “command bar” that stays fixed to the top of the view even as you scroll the page.

3. Continually improving performance. It’s a lot of data but there’s always opportunities for better performance.

What things would you like to see?

#1 from your list for sure. If you add this, a link from the binoculars feature to the special search would make it easier to go from “gleam comes in Strong Turquoise” to looking at the “Strong Turquoise Gleam planets” search.

Permalinks to searches would be cool, though idk how useful with the long load times.

I suggested it before, but some kind of comments system with timestamps would be great so we can add comments on where we’ve seen portals and/or tokens available, if there are gleamballs, etc. Definitely not quick or client side, but it would be awesome.

Thank you for making this tool! It’s shaping up to be everything I thought “Oh, I should make this” but never had the energy to do!

Buttons that look and feel like buttons and not nondescript icons floating off in space. This was my original problem I had when I first saw the tool, as people kept telling me there’s a button when all I saw were icons and didn’t know any better. As a user that doesn’t have a mobile phone or any sort of mobile device, I had never come across such a thing before.

Would a small circle or box around each icon help? This would (imo) preserve the minimalist style of the website.

I think it will also be cool when most of the data processing is done server-side and the user is only delivered the data they look at instead of all 15mb.

I been usin’ this tool to help people find colors on the main discord. good job!

this no longer loads for me :frowning:
I have tried multiple browsers and different computers.