Is Mid-game still a problem for new players?

I think you dropped your mirror.

You keep tossing out made up numbers, but never have any solid receipts from the devs or the company itself. Your opinions ≠ facts.

I’m not acting like anything. I’m just stating facts. I made stuff. I progressed. I had fun. I am still having fun.

Again, let me hand you your mirror. Hmm, I seriously doubt that anyone thinks Boundless was created for me. It was created for anyone that wants to play it.

It’s a public forum. I referred to your recent similar post because wade44423 mentioned it (as if I was the one wanting MC…I was just pointing out it was in fact you, the OP who said that, not me). I prefer facts & receipts over feelings and drama. If you don’t want it repeated, then don’t post it on a public forum.

I did. He was talking about what you said on your post.

Oh, no. Lots of people playing an MMO together…and forming guilds, trading, and socializing. The horrors!!

We all know what being a solo player means.

OMG that’s awful! Other players trying to help out someone else? We’re all so selfish. Shame on us.

I guess that one’s for me, but I don’t want to be arrogant, so I’ll just wait for you to tell me if I can reply or not.
Or not. It’s a small amount of items & I hope we get a lot more awesome things in the future.

7 Likes

Well, I came here to write the suggestion, not complain lol. To be honest i don’t care how new players will suffer or not. Because i have money and a city (dead T_T) and a nice workshop and a beautiful house. I don’t even care if devs will take my suggestion or not because i don’t earn any profit if they get more players to join the game. However as an Alpha player, it really sad to watch the player base go down monthly and only get better when the free weekend release lol. I do love Boundless, i really do. This why i quit 3 times (each time around 1-2 month, after that i still come back) People care so they write their suggestion here, if not people just quit and never come back. During last December to Feb, I remember we helped around 60 new players, guess how many still in the game now day? 3 only lol. Most of them not leave the city or guild, they quit the game.

You have your fun, and i have my own fun too. But both of our fun won’t help the game get more players because the fact is current game only has peak payers 250± at steam chart, and plus ps4’s players i assume won’t pass 600 player base.
As any kind of MMO this is a very sad number which is the fact you can’t deny it. Or if you think Boundless only deserve this number of player base, then yeah go to hell new players lol.

??? Pretty sure it only took me 20ish hours total from create a character to full power workbench.
Granted, a lot of this game is “if you dont know i wont tell you”. However, not everyone likes the hand holding super indepth tutorial shoved in your face, either. A happy medium is needed. But how do we find it?

1 Like

Which gives me an idea! It’s been said that the sanctum info is stored client side. Meaning it’s saved to your pc/ps4. How big is the sanctum’s alotted space? Is it enough space such that it could be used as a permanent tutorial area? A small farm, a forge, a mountain…signs everywhere with tips and tricks. A reworking of the ingame tutorial to take you through the most basic steps like beacon fueling before picking a location to warp to. Uhhhh more other stuff :grin:

2 Likes

I know it’s bad to rely on a 3rd party resource, but have you tried Forge Simulator [v1.2] ? It’s not a tutorial and on mobile the information about ingredients and boons is minimal, but at least you don’t have to spend materials while trying to figure out how it works :woman_shrugging:

@Bryethewizard Sanctum is static since it’s local, meaning no simulation occurs there. Crops don’t grow, water doesn’t flow, machines can’t function :confused:

2 Likes

But crops could be placed in different stages of their development for “simulation”. Water can exist in both solid and liquid form. Signs Everywhere! As long as one can interact with the machines, they could be set up in such a way to give info about certain processes. Like stop motion. Machine has Glass and copper in it and atlases in the “contents”. If you look at the “recipes” page you see only the recipe for atlases. and in the queue same situation.

Edit: An argument I thought of involves load speed. If there’s too much information in the sanctum it would take longer to load up the game, correct? But not if it’s not part of the load-in part of the sanctum. If they are some distance off and accessible via Warp conduit, then it only has to load when the player wishes to access the information. Of course, it’d be the very first area for tutorial purposes, but then, generally speaking the first time takes the longest to load anyway…

You know I gave up reading after so many post of ANTI SOLO PLAYER GRAAARGH

It’s really not. The game has a barebones tutorial and sets you off to do whatever the heck you want. I’ve been playing a couple of months now (or is it a few, I dunno…) and for the first time I’ve really actually played WITH other people, only now. I’ve never traded, I’ve never gone on hunts, I’ve never gone out of my way to be part of a community, and I’ve only just joined a guild for the first time.

I went to shops, sure, and even set up my own… but that doesn’t require me interacting with other people. Just me with their shop stands and they with mine.

This game isn’t anti-solo. It’s just anti-the-way-I-want-to-solo for some people. I guess that’s unfortunate for them.

8 Likes

In my view, the gap between new and experienced / equipped players is too big. Some have earnings so they can tinker their house with diamonds, others are happy if they get enough diamonds for tools and coils together.

Yes, you can buy tools and coils. But for that you need money, which is again distributed unequally. New players have almost no meaningful source of income and old players earn even more money with their surplus of resources.

The sometimes absurd drop chances in connection with the luck skill and the costs from the recipes on the other hand make the problem worse. Somehow you always have the feeling that you are riding your own bike, while the other players in the Ferarri are rushing past you and you still get 50% more loot in front of you.

Tools should be easy to produce and the enchantments on them do not belong in the final content. If the grind is so intentional then it should be evenly distributed over all players so that the image described above does not occur. But if you really want to build your house of diamonds, you are welcome to dig your fingers bloody.

I must not have paid enough attention then since I don’t see that rush of new players on the forum that talk about hitting the gem wall.

Besides, new players should not be thinking about gems just yet, that is more mid game stuff…

3 Likes

I’ll do a full in depth breakdown of what those 89 are. I stated 89 as the most extreme amount because 55 of those items are categorised as “undefined” in the game files and I was short on time. Some of them may not even be building materials at all. I’ll also tally up how many building materials do not require power, for comparison.

3 Likes

If you think it’s helpful. :wink:
Go ahead but don’t think it really matters in this topic.

2 Likes

om nom nom Will need more popcorn if this continues… :expressionless:

4 Likes

@majorvex - For what it is worth, I think you are one of the nicest and most helpful people in the game, and from what I’ve seen everywhere have done as much as anybody to work towards it’s growth. :slight_smile: As I said before, Boundless is lucky to have you. I don’t like to involve myself in others’ disputes and I know as we’re most all of us passionate about the game things do get heated at times, but seeing you receiving unfair personal attacks I can’t in good conscience sit back and not say anything here to set the record straight publicly. Your character and honesty are impeccable. :medal_sports:

10 Likes

Agreed. Don’t have to say alot😉 one of the bestes.

3 Likes

We all basically said.
Yes some aspects of the game need more info and explaining, like the forge.
Yes some aspects of the game need more content.
No the grind is for all a like.
No you can’t compare boundless with an other game (even if you have to grind there to and it looks a like).
If you want to play alone, you make it harder on your self.
If you don’t want hand outs, refuse them.
Don’t forget everyone had to go trough the same process in boundless.
A lot of us occasionally chat in game with others but mostly play alone to.
Most of us made friends in boundless (im ps4 and a lot of my friends are pc).
If you don’t ask, you don’t get the answer.

And basically if you hit a wall, you went to fast to soon. You can do 2 things quit or tear it down, like every one els did.

Probably left out some things.

Like stepping on toes.
Advice recordings on repeat.
And the one way street for some (figure that out yourself).

:wink: thats all folks :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you Vex for having this game made. Appreciate you!

3 Likes

in Less than 2 weeks playing this game completely solo ( which I did for about 6 months ) I got a set of coils for every machine using iron hammers. Some see a wall, others see a challenge.

9 Likes

While I would agree in principle, when the forums are flooded with recommendations that new players grind for enough materials they can sell to have enough coin to buy a forged gem tool and then use that to grind more materials to get what they need and still have enough to sell to buy another forged tool, are we not creating the demand for gems by those players that are not ready to get them on their own?

Edit: Maybe it is also because most of the people playing are end-game past level 50. The forums are a great place to share information but if you are new, how are you to distinguish what is needed as a new player, when all the forums and discord are again flooded with players buying coils or commenting how they have 20 machines all fully coiled. Does a new player think this is how it is done and is that why they are in a rush?

3 Likes

Why new players feel need to get gems and power coils early? Is it something to do that they want to craft portal conduits but it requires power?

I am just assuming it would be big reason that new players want own portal ASAP. So maybe removing portal conduit power requirement would be good so that players wouldn’t enter to that loop they weren’t ready. Get better tools, to mine things and forget original reason why they did start to visit to higher level planets early.

On launch game had power requirement on all signs, IMO it was too much, maybe some recipes could be checked that does those really need power.

4 Likes

lol I wish :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes