Is this where we post our NMS pics?

A few more from last night… (I’ll need another to post after this since this is the point where the forum is all like “Shut Up!” afterwards :wink: )

The feeling of illness from the VR lasted longer than I thought it would, sad to say… we’re talking “Eat a big meal then drive the Blue Ridge Parkway” levels here. So yeah, I’ll pop it back on from time to time, but mostly stick to playing without, and keep my time divided between PS4 and Xbox One probably.

And nothing like logging into Twitter to 99+ notifications like last night. :astonished: Down to 82 this morning at least. :rofl:

1 Like

I haven’t played NMS in about 2 years, I think I’m going to have to pay it a visit to see how it is now. The miniscule inventory space and ridiculous inventory management is what finally put me off.

3 Likes

It is almost a new game from a couple years ago, there have been so many changes. :slight_smile: Beyond did make a big QoL improvement with the number of things that can be stacked in a slot.

2 Likes

I wonder whether my game save would still be compatible and even if it’s worth using or whether to just start from scratch… I’m just a bit worried that I might get into it again and then not have time for Boundless.

2 Likes

I’m still using my day one save. :slight_smile: Though old files are having some crashing issues, they’re working quick to fix it, there were like two patches in 24 hours I think.

In my own case, it was Boundless that pushed my NMS addiction to the edge. :rofl: I had THOUGHT VR might bring me back in more, but because of the issues I had with it, though I’ll be playing more than before as I mentioned, I don’t think the addiction will be coming back like before. I definitely won’t be in VR much. Put it this way - yesterday I skipped NMS and just did Boundless. :wink:

I’ll probably binge some on Beyond this weekend though. :slight_smile:

A lot of what makes NMS for me is the community on Twitter, sharing all the discoveries, sharing in our excitement.

1 Like

I used to have an unofficial NMS app on my phone which was pretty good for posting pictures etc …I really did love the exploring and looking for crashed ships to repair but eventually found the tedious storage system too much of a pain and extremely limited considering you’re meant to be exploring and gathering resources to build a base etc even the tankers storage was limited and having to interact with the captain to shuffle stuff around.

2 Likes

To be honest I was a little ticked right after 2.0 update. Crash to desktop every 5 minutes and suddenly I did not own a FREIGHTER!! OMG. That’s a 150mil freighter with a full S fleet. I crapped my pants. And I could not leave the overseer hub without crashing!

But I sent a support ticket and day 2 all my problems/fears were assuaged.

I was just thinking the other night how lucky we are to live in this era of gaming and to have grown up and seen what we came from. How lucky we are to have producers like Boundless and NMS crew. I really think those of us “awakened” enough to enjoy both of these games have tapped into something truly unique and wonderful. These two games go together like ice cream and chocolate drizzle. The future is production quality and sustainability. We are spoiled to this better way of gaming :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve commented on this a number of times online elsewhere… that I’m glad I was born when I was, to see games sort of grow up. :slight_smile: It is really incredible that we have come from amazement at watching a dot move around on the screen to VR in the space of around four decades or so.

Also, that if I was my age back in the 80’s, the games that captured my imagination as a kid might not have held the same appeal… conversely, that if I were a child now, it might be overwhelming, or draw me in too much to the exclusion of life (though it almost did that back then anyways, along with books they were my escape!).

2 Likes

Games are the new escape for readers. Books will always serve their function and have for generations. I love to read. I find it fascinating that humanity now has a new medium for leisure and escape and video games don’t get the respect they deserve. All of us gamers would be readers a century ago.

2 Likes

Yep… games and books really did keep me sane as a kid. These days, since I can use an e-reader/web reader at work (we actually have access to a HUGE collection here online for free, coolest thing ever), I still do read a lot, not nearly so much in my true “off” time though. Though there is still nothing quite like sitting out in the sun in a hammock or lounge chair with a real book… I still do that by a pool we go to (like tomorrow, gotta get some sun before I go back to vegging with NMS and Boundless!).

1 Like

Thinking more on what you said, yeah, games as a platform for storytelling don’t get nearly the respect they deserve - the addition of agency really knocks the immersion potential way up. I was sort of going over in my head my favorite stories from both books and games, and the feelings they inspired and how the games probably have the edge there, and the fact that for fiction, I’ve gotten away from books - my reading has gone MUCH more heavily towards non-fiction in the last decade or two.

Anyways, some more screenshots, but first, since this is OT and the NMS thread, I’ll share this… I mentioned my NMS shirts awhile back I think? Well, got another. :slight_smile: This time a black tank, used Redbubble once again - just wish I could support them directly. I would sooooo love some Boundless gear too, a Boundless Pink tank would get worn to ribbons I think! :wink: Anyways, I’ll just put the Tweet link rather than post the pic directly since it isn’t a screenshot haha; ignore my silliness there, I couldn’t resist wearing the thing into work but I hid it-

https://twitter.com/NMS_Screenshots/status/1162115976667762690

2 Likes

@bucfanpaka

+100 street cred for the NMS tank. It’s basically cooler than anything I own.

+72 fleet cred for the gorgeous pics.

+41 tweet cred for the um… I forgot… Oh tweets

And +13 l33t cred for the inner thoughts on books and games

1 Like

Aww thanks!! :blush: Ditto for you my fellow NMS and Boundless fan… Major cred!! You started this thread after all haha, so glad you gave me this chance to spam my NMS stuff even more! :wink:

1 Like

So I decided to play a little NMS this morning before indulging in a big Boundless binge a bit later… :wink:

Found this beautiful blue gem!! :heart_eyes:

This is on Xbox - had it been on PS4 I might well have pulled the headset out to explore this one a bit.

1 Like

Some more from the pretty blue world, and a lush moon in the same system.

Torchlight 2 coming out on console plus Borderlands 3 next month… not sure how I’m going to find the time for them though, with Boundless and NMS! :smile: Sort of have the opposite problem as when I was a kid and teen, when I had plenty of gaming time, but was usually broke so not too much to play. Guess this is the better problem.

(Will need another post again from someone after this :wink: )

nms123 nms124 nms125 nms126 nms127 nms129 nms130 nms131 nms132 nms133

1 Like

This is lovely. I totally get not having enough time. Too many games, not enough me.

1 Like

Thanks!! :smiley:

Haha, oh yeah, my backlog… it is best not to think about my backlog. :open_mouth: I know there are a number of games I own I’ll likely never get around to touching again, particularly on handhelds.

And on that note, Switch Lite comes out next month too. I mentioned waiting until March on that with Animal Crossing earlier in the thread, I really don’t need another console for home, but the Lite really appeals to me for when I’m away from home. But how much will I use it right away? Should I buy at launch, then have another model - particularly a CE Animal Crossing edition - that I really want come out?

Ah, well, I’ll get back to the NMS screenshots soon… :wink:

1 Like

Ok, back to the screenshots! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Well played with the purple! Keep em coming.

1 Like

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

BTW, thinking more on the growing up with games, and well, this is OT so I’ll go OT: :crazy_face:

Thinking on how NMS and Boundless capture my imagination, was thinking back to the games that really pulled me into gaming and what exactly it was about them that captivated me. Although I started messing around on the Intellivision as a tot - I have a very early memory of what I know now is Star Strike, games were enough to make an impression on me that far back - I really got into it with the NES and Sega Master System.

The two that really jump out are The Legend of Zelda and Phantasy Star. Phantasy Star in particular sort of had me thinking of my love of games that let you explore different planets. PS I think was pretty advanced for it’s time - early sci-fi RPG, beautiful game for that era. It really drew me in, was a huge escape from the real world for the childhood me. I loved the whole original series, I-IV so much - didn’t like it once they went the online route. The Legend of Zelda… wow, I think I bombed every square inch of Hyrule. :joy: I pestered my parents til they got me a recorder since there is one in the game - I still do this stuff, I have an OoT ocarina, triforce earrings, and such. Love my nerd stuff. :wink: Also, some of the graphic adventure games early on, I think the mental challenge, the freedom to experiment, and the humor of some of those were a huge appeal. The frustration and reward of finally figuring out King’s Quest puzzles, the laughs of deaths (some suicidal) in stuff like Shadowgate, the epic silliness of Maniac Mansion. :smiley:

Ok, sidetrack over, I’ll go back to screenshots again soon. :wink:

1 Like