Let's Talk About Forge Baby, Let's Talk About RNG

Just got my forge going again. Little shop at Planet Brown, selling my rank 380-400 gem bows and graps :smiley:

1 Like

People said guild buffs were a good coin sink but based off that inflation math it sounds like the game still needs a reliable and broad coin sink of some sort. I think a lot of problems correct themselves with a bigger population, but Boundless has gotten smaller in the year I was gone. There used to be an average of like 400 on in the evening, just using the steam totals, that wasn’t counting PS4 users.

I think things are fine atm.
It all comes done To effectiveness…

You can use pure 1 Or so To Wood one… While pure 3 is almost mandatory For lucent ones… Or even gem ones (now Im speaking of myself… I dont use any other stuff than gum ja boons + fp).

I would like the gear over 300 getting some sort of effect like aura on it To show its “badass”.

I think overall forging atm is good and simple.
You dont have to learn To make complex stuff To get like t5 aoe hammer etc.

Im speaking For experience as i said i just use Basic stuff… Maybe Im just RNJesus but it works For me… I rarely get something that i cannot use.

My biggest grasp is obviously the mats.
I do not like To hunt Or even if i would… I do not have time For it…
Making even boons is hella work For me… Thats why i usually buy them… Wich makes no sense… Cause with that money i would e bought some forged stuff alrdy… But i like forging.

5 Likes

That’s a pretty good point. Maybe if the tools stats were clearer (for example, if a hammer listed that it could one shot rock on t5, etc) then people would be more satisfied with the less-than-perfect forges. I still think that fewer boons per gum would be nice, but, barring that, a clearer display of the capabilities of a tool would be good too.

2 Likes

I usually use just 2 gums per what i would like To get.
Special To get aoe
And effect To get dmg.

Anything more than 2 is waste i Feel… Just how ive experienced.

I tend To get what i want just by swinging 1 each… I put 1 Special. 1 effect. Then 1x fp2. So Im left with around 1400 Or 1500 vigour To work with… Thats how i At least do it… I dont get quirks cause i dont like them… Its poop. I have always had good rng.

What i do like is that making forged grapples and slingbows is easy. I Feel the hardest are the tools with aoe and dmg… But i manage them too quote well

2 Likes

Exactly. I’m just proposing that there be a few more gums added that would reduce the number of possibilities for each gum. For example - special would only add aoe OR magnet on a hammer and there would be another gum for whichever is taken off of special. Likewise, damage would be added with effect while crit chance/effect would be added using a crit gum. The number of gums used of each type would then serve only to reduce the rng of random boons and it wouldn’t be such a coin toss as to which special or effect boons are added.

2 Likes

I dont need… Im have rng level mythic

4 Likes

Lucky… lol

2 Likes

Ye… I actually manage To succeed with 8/10 my forged ruffly.

If i dont make something that i need like with hammers… I usually turn them into horizontal aoe s. Those are golden.

2 Likes

Holy moly, are those the current prices?

I’ve been away for 2+ months while I was waiting for rentals to release so my forgery shop ran out of supply and since I’m back I have been too busy with the rentals to stock up again but was planning to do so soon but if those are the prices I have to compete with then I won’t even bother…

I am no ‘forge goddess’ as per your description, I don’t have minions, I could do lucent but I don’t see the fun in them, they take too long to make and personally I don’t see a reason to want to use them. So I could be like this, but nah, would mean more work than I want.

And if people don’t want to buy my 300+ gem gear for 10+k I won’t open my shop again…

If lucent gear gets a boost in usefulness I would be more inclined to want to make them. To get me to forge more gem gear I feel that it should be a smidge easier to do so (besides the price I can sell them at).

In order to get there I always assumed that one day we would be using lucent based forgery power coils which would up the effectiveness.
Add in 2 more slots in your deck as well.

That means no real changes to how it actually works but a higher level player can more easily get the coils and crank up their forgery output and their business…

3 Likes

Or find a different method of forging, I have seen many people complain about rerolls and how frustrating it is, well don’t use decon resin!

The minter has no limit in how much coin it produces - there will never ever be a coin sink again that can counter the minter because, you can just mint more. (It’s interesting that the minter is the only machine without crafting time)

The less knowledge you have, the less fun you have with the forge. Finding a better method doesn’t lead to a better product (everyone must forge AE4 and DMG8 for a T6 hammer) but to less pain while forging.

1 Like

I do some forging, hard hitting slingbows and a few gem hammers mostly just for myself every once In a while. I’d definitely love to be able to constantly forge stacks of AOE hammers.

but as a proud single dad with kids at home, and that works 60+ hrs a week, I just don’t have the time to sit there for hours learning the process to create stacks of 310+ items. Would be neat though.

2 Likes

I do a lot of forging and I’ve been for a while. I learned how to do it by myself, with lots of experimentation and a few pointers I found in previous discussions about forging.

I’ve also shown a few ppl how to forge easily and I would say that this who aren’t having fun (or good results) need to make changes to their forge deck or lower their expectations of the results.

First, some boons are easier to get because they are alone in their category ( ex: action speed is the only lightness boon when doing tools, but has 3 diff boons in it when doing bows )

Rerolling boons is 100% part of the game, you need Decon resin AND boon removal solvent (1 or 2, I like the 1 cause I’m cheap)
The solvent can give you up to 6 reroll per forge, it can also save you from getting aoe 5.

Anyway @Sterbehilfe I can make you a demo on discord sometime if you want, it’s more a 20 min class and then ur rdy to try

3 Likes

After 2 years consistent forging, Id have to say I got burnt from having to purchase mats like hopper eyes at ever increasing prices, while the average price for T6 hammers dropped. I found myself having to churn out hundreds of hammers to keep my QOL in game.

Im ok with the way the forge rolls. Its the economy id like to see changed. But thats unlikely to happen.

3 Likes

For a long time now I have thought forging needs a major rework. Part of it is that I believe the whole skill tree system needs a rework, and the other part of it I feel that it doesn’t feel like rewarding progression.

Anyone can grind out the mats for forging, create the same ingredients, but then when it comes time to forge an item it feels very disheartening when you spend all that time preparing just to get the worst luck in the Boundless Universe. Even if you are following the best Forge Guide, it still feels like a wash for the most part.

The Forging System, in my opinion, needs to feel like a real progression system for spending the skill points by increasing your ability to Forge higher tier items. Whether that is through every level you put into forging gives you access to new boons you can select to apply to a tool/weapon, and what types of tools/weapons you are able to apply those forges too. Then if RNG would still be a thing, it would be in the form of getting an “enhanced” version of the boon on the tool/weapon. Something to have an “oh ■■■■” moment of surprise and excitement.

Perhaps break the Forge skill up into three different skills. The first one increases your ability to forge higher tiers of tools/weapons and gives you access to new boons. The second affects your ability to forge directly in the form of the increased strength of your boons. The third, if RNG still wanted to be a thing, it would affect the chances of you receiving a quirk, decreasing the risk as you spend more skill points to it, but then it also increases your chances of getting an “enhanced” version of the boons that you are applying to your tool/weapon. That way it feels like you progressing through forging and getting better at it as you increase your skill level.

Then gums require specific materials and are still crafted the same but you have a Liquid Break Gum, an AOE 3x3 Gum, and an AOE Cross Gum instead. Then like I said before the types of Gums you can craft would be based on your skill point investment rather than up to the Boundless RNG Gods.

And if you are worried about a power balance system, then keep it forging as currently is with only a max of three boons can be applied, but put a cap on the max strength of the boon based on the tier of the tool/weapon. Then make it so that you need a decent supply of Boon Compound to apply those gums to the tool/weapon so that it still feels like an investment when you forge. You could even keep the different types of Boon compounds to increase the chances of getting those “enhanced” boons, but make it a risk versus reward type thing with the quirks still in play. Then if you want to still be a high roller on forging you can, and the skill point investment would help affect the chances of you getting a successful “enhanced” boon versus a quirk on your tool/weapon.

These were just some of my thoughts on how the Forge System should be reworked. Not perfect but some thoughts I have had from time to time when forging.

I made a quick mock-up of what I think the forge would look like with these changes. Just the layout not with the applied boon, quirk, and skill images.

TDLR: I think forging should be more about the progression; based on spending skill points that allow boons to be craftable through gums, boons should increase in strength based on how many skill points are invested, and give you access to RNG chances of getting an “enhanced” version of a boon that you have selected at the during your forging.

7 Likes

Wow, impressed with how much you’ve thought about this. Great input!

1 Like

I find the forging absolutely enraging… if the supposedly rng part of this can give you crit boon 14 times in a row before you get the damage boon. Not to mention when you do then invest in the boon removal solvent, and it just rolls the same boon you don’t want back onto the boon bar twice or more…

(My own Part theory… but hard to test on full scale… as it takes a ton of time… but if starting the round and immediately skipping to the end has a negative impact on your options being calculated. Actually reminds me of wanting to go test forging on a idle planet, compared to usually fairly busy one. ) maybe far out… but I have gone through so much deconstruct 3 that it is ridiculous.

1 Like

I’m a beginner level forger who does it as a hobby. Sometimes i sell my stuff but sometimes the forge is so good that i end up keeping my loot!

2 Likes

I used to forge a medium amount, enough to stock stands maybe every other week. I might be the only person left who doesn’t mind the rng; my biggest issue is getting enough stock to forge with. I can buy the tools at fair prices, but collecting oor even buying the forge ingredients takes such a large investment in time and/ or coin that the sale prices cant justify the effort.
As a result i still forge my own stuff like easy lazy t3 topaz shovels when i need them, just not for sale

2 Likes