Lighting in Release 225 Status

You know what…there is no pleasing with you guys. I am fed up with the damn right negativity from some of you.

Maybe instead you could help think about solutions?!

10 Likes

Do you have a screenshot? It looks super good on pc!

im not trying to be negative personally, I just didn’t appreciate having the lights turned off on the game I love, all im saying.

Unfortunately no. I’ll get on later and take a screenshot of the area I think looks worse and get @Ratchel to take one of the same area for comparison

I understand, you are having an emotional response to others emotional response (since it is undoubted everyone cares about the game).

Just remember the little empathy song:
“Empathy, empathy, put yourself in the place of me.”

For thos who enjoyed having a bright build, such a chisel will become mandatory, unfortunately.
To be honest, I’m just concerned about having that sort of tunning feature hidden behind the Centraforge. Way too many features already are. You tie new features like liquid-breaker to the Centraforge at every update, too.

I’d rather you guys worked on this suggestion first (or soon after) : CRAZY IDEA : Chisel pie-menu

1 Like

I kind of would prefer a crafting solution, like raw gleam > refined gleam > gleam lantern, each brighter than the last. Maybe even something like compacted gleam that radiates much brighter than refined.

A chisel option would be fine, but would feel like a stopgap.

6 Likes

We’re on the opposite sides of this and that’s fine.

I just don’t think this is a reason to quit the game at all. IMO not a very valid one either.

2 Likes

Wow, good call there. Black in Boundless is now Vantablack.

If it’s technically feasible, I think the best solution would be to allow the newly proposed ability to adjust the brightness of gleam (using a transformation chisel/tool) also be applied to dark blocks too.

Let us choose if we want extreme black void (as it stands now) that absorbs all light like Vantablack, or allow us to revert to the previous shinier black colors.

This would make everyone happy and gives us more control. (Even help the economy with more demand for tools for tweaking things.)

1 Like

Me no longer liking any of the things I spent countless hours on building is not a good reason to quit? 1300+(Non afk) hours

3 Likes

I apologize for my outburst. Not really my style but when I see constructivism being torn down by self-pity…

I am in the same place all of you are…I too will need to rethink areas of my buildings…I have sympathy for those who show respect and are actually contributing to the best outcome for all.

6 Likes

In the end, I appreciate it but it is probably not worth it. It might be faster to store the good stuff and just let the rest regen. It was all built around blocks and lighting looking a certain way. That has changed and as I have said in many ways for the better. I think being outside is better. I can do less at night since I cannot see as well, but maybe that is to be expected. I think having blocks keep their original color when they are crafted (black stays black) is better. James has said the meshes will be tweaked and that will solve a lot of problems hopefully. So that just leaves the fact that I need a spreadsheet to pick out gleam in the future so I do not have to place and touch every block at least once to get the brightness I want. I can do that, but in the end I do not need a build I just need storage and a place for machines.

Ill message when home and take a screenshot to send you. let me know what areas to screenshot.

This is how it already is: Gleam = 100%, Refined Gleam = 150%, Gleam Lantern = 200% brightness.

7 Likes

Yes changing gleam brightness is would be very word. I also like how the text on signs really pops out now like it glows it looks really cool

The HUGE problem with this, is that it also applies to inside, underground, and all places where the natural lighting should have no effect at all, and the light something emits should not be influenced by whatever it is on the surface.

There is no concept of ‘inside’ and ‘outside’ anymore (probably never was, but this update just makes it super clear), and adjusting the lighting inside a closed off room because it’s day on the outside is extremely unrealistic.

2 Likes

The difference isn’t very pronounced, TBH.
How about some Decorative Gleam, which would be like the Refined gleam without the cracks, and would light-up a place with a brigthness equal to what refined gleam used to before the update?

5 Likes

Thx didnt knew that.

1 Like

TODO - explore the idea of using Transformation Chisels on Gleam to change their brightness

Love that idea! I was just thinking about it!:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Love this idea! I would def use it. This would allow people that prefer a more muted, natural gleam light to have what they want, while allowing those that prefer a brighter gleam light to have what they want.

1 Like