Lighting in Release 225 Status

Hey Everyone.

Thanks for all your feedback about the lighting in the Release 255.

There are quite a few post talking about it - so I wanted to make a list of the items and what we’re doing about them.

1. Night time darkness balance - the darkness balance is very display dependent. Different displays can present a different range of dark colours. We balanced the lighting against our displays, laptops, and TVs. But there will definitely be displays where the game appears too dark (and too bright). Given the variation in display the best solution is to expose a slider for players to find a balance that matches their display.

RESOLVED - with Release 225.2: add an option for all players to balance their own darkness balance.

2. Others have raised the issue of nyctalopia. We’ll need to investigate what options there are for making sure the game is playable with anyone who is affected by this. Can anyone point to other games that offer good solutions?

TODO - learn about how best to help players with nyctalopia - assuming #1 isn’t enough.

3. Shiny blocks no longer whiten the block colour - previously shiny or polished blocks would be presented with a whitening over their base colour. This made it impossible to have a dark shiny block. For example, the decorative blocks would all be noticeably whiter. The whitening also made dark shiny blocks appear much brighter when lit with gleam and torches. So a marble or decorative dark floor could appear quite bright when lit.

With the rendering update the shiny blocks now retain their natural colour. Dark remains dark, and black stays black. This does mean that if you have built with dark shiny blocks then the environment will be darker - as the whitening has been removed. All material variations (wood, stone, brick, etc) should retain their colour much more consistently. We don’t plan to change this. Blocks should present the correct colour independent of the shininess.

If you still find that you’re unhappy with your build and actually want the shiny blocks to be brighter then the easiest solution would be to use the new Goo farming system to create some lighter spray colours and redecorate your build. The advantage of this is that there is no need to rebuild. Just spray the blocks and the colours will change.

TODO - Review the luminance of the black and white balance based on the new lighting intensity.

4. Gleam lights the environment proportional to the gleam colour: previously gleam blocks, independent of their colour, would emit the same brightness as white gleam. So a black gleam would light the environment the same as white gleam. There are many builds that used darker gleam blocks that will now appear much darker.

The advantage is that you now have much more control over the brightness of your build. If you want subtle red lighting, you can now get it from a darker gleam block. Where as previously it was impossible.

The disadvantage is that if you’ve built with darker gleam blocks then your builds will be lit darker.

So it gives you much more building control, but it will leave a legacy of darker builds.

One idea would be to allow the Transformation Chisels to change the brightness of Gleam, Refined Gleam, and Gleam Lanterns. In the same way that you can use the chisel to program the LED blocks, we could use the chisel to brighten the gleam blocks. They could go from “dark gleam” where they emit almost no light, through the current config, up to a bright version. This would allow players to rebalance their own builds. This would also give players much more variation when building. The advantage of using the chisel is that there would be no need to rebuild - instead blocks could be brightened by simply chiselling them.

TODO - explore the idea of using Transformation Chisels on Gleam to change their brightness.

5. Mesh lighting broken - the mesh lighting is definitely broken - sorry! The meshes are much darker than they should be when lit by the world light (instead of sun light). So for everyone who has shared images of their builds with under powered lighting we’ll get this fixed asap.

(Reminder that dark meshes, for example black storage - will remain black - see #3. But machines and plinth will all recover their correct brightness.)

RESOLVED - fixed with Release 225.1.

6. Bloom balance - we’re still working on the bloom balance. It’s not quite doing what we want. It’s basically making too much of the scene a little blurry, rather than just making the bright areas glow.

RESOLVED - with Release 225.2: get the bloom working as desired.

7. Day/Night Cycles and Fog - the new day/night cycles normalise the scene brightness. This basically means that the scene has the correct brightness throughout the different times of day.

• Day should be dominated by the sun brightness which overwhelm the gleam / torch light.
    • Night should be dominated by the gleam / torch light and supported by the moon / sky lighting.

I think this balance is pretty good, but we will continue to tweak it. There are still a few parts of the scene that are unbalanced. For example, the planets in the sky are too bright during the night and will make the landscape darker whilst you look at them. (They’re too bright, because we tried to make them bright enough to be seen during the day!)

The fog helps add a sense of depth to the landscape, it’s a little strong at the moment and also needs more balancing.

TODO - continue to normalise and polish the day/night cycles and fog.

We’ve put a lot of work into the farming update to try and make the rendering much more consistent so that you would have more flexibility and control. Ultimately we want the worlds and builds all looking great! The (impossible) challenge is that there is also a huge legacy of builds in the universe. It would have been impossible to change the rendering without changing anything.

So for players who are unhappy about some of the changes hopefully the above details and actions will reassure you that the game will look better than ever!

74 Likes

So black will act like Vantablack now instead of how normal every day black items work. Ok. Well there goes one of my favorite builds.

4 Likes

Shouldn’t that be release 225, or have I fugued again? Not that I remember ever having fuged before, but…

2 Likes

Lighting changes always make for strange after effects :man_shrugging: just takes some getting used to. Glad there’s efforts being made to improve the areas that are in fact messed up…

Off topic - melee weapons, pants, monster variety (new types, more variants of existing types), end game (protectors, titans, etc) - please give us these ASAP

I love this idea.

14 Likes

Lol good call, you’re right, I didn’t even notice that typo

Brightness chisel sounds awesome

10 Likes

"With the rendering update the shiny blocks now retain their natural colour. Dark remains dark, and black stays black. This does mean that if you have built with dark shiny blocks then the environment will be darker - as the whitening has been removed. All material variations (wood, stone, brick, etc) should retain their colour much more consistently. We don’t plan to change this. Blocks should present the correct colour independent of the shininess.

If you still find that you’re unhappy with your build and actually want the shiny blocks to be brighter then the easiest solution would be to use the new Goo farming system to create some lighter spray colours and redecorate your build. The advantage of this is that there is no need to rebuild. Just spray the blocks and the colours will change."

This comes off as cold and is a deal breaker for me and that saddens me very much.

You make the goo system seem so easy to just go out and do, but it’s locked behind extreme rarity and cost. It’s not something we can just go out and do.

Why can’t we change the brightness of dark blocks like you propose with gleam? With a tool like a transformation chisel?

Why not give us that much more control instead of telling us to just get over it with all the work we’ve spent getting things just right with even more work and cost to fix something we had no control over?

8 Likes

I’d just like to reiterate that the update is amazing. And I know everyone is thankful for the hard work and effort you all put in at HQ. it was inevitable that an update would need tweaks, but I’d hate for any of the Devs to feel disheartened from the feedback people have provided!

Thanks for being amazing and providing us all with this amazing game and platform we can all play on! :heart:

18 Likes

I think we need real light sources. Lantern only illuminate up to a distance of 6 or 7 blocks. This makes it impossible to light an e.g. 2 plot high room. You must put the light into the floor. Up until 255 you could work around this with a glass roof but that doesn’t work anymore during the night.

6 Likes

Sorry, I buy this game and play it till now because I love its’ cartoony look where everything a bit flat and bright. It makes my eye pleased and happy.
Now with this realistic and bloomy update, it against my favor. The light is now look like 2000s video games, many blocks are shiny and reflect too much ( marbles used to be flat ).
So if I cant find a way to change them all back the way they were - I will quit. Although i have put in 1200hrs since.

3 Likes

Sounds like a lot of work to transformation chisel several thousand refined gleam blocks. Some of which are partially behind other blocks. That will take me probably as long as it did to complete the build in the first place.

I do appreciate the fact that you are looking at solutions, but sounds like we now need a spreadsheet to know how much light the various colors of gleam will give before even starting a build.

EDIT: how about doing it the opposite way. All gleam give consistent light and if you want to make it even brighter or darker you use the transformation chisel?

7 Likes

Personally I love the changes. My dark underground base feels deep and dim like it is a true underground base. The atmosphere feels great <3 The changes will be cool additions too. But I already love the new effects.

12 Likes

I couldn’t agree more as it stand given this information I will have to either change all my black to white or rebuild the entirety of my 2 workshop spaces completely and leave them open to the sun so I can actually see them.

1 Like

You’re going to quit over a lighting change that people have been asking for since before the game was released and was in Early Access? The lighting has been screwed up since the Centraforge update. Now it got fixed. This is how it’s suppose to look from the very beginning of the game’s release.

3 Likes

TODO - explore the idea of using Transformation Chisels on Gleam to change their brightness.

i love this idea :smiley: yes please :smiley:

1 Like

I will disagree. All the colors of gleam gave a consistent amount of light and now that is not true. I know I never asked to have the gleam light vary by color and I cannot remember ever reading that anyone else did either.

4 Likes

I do… I remember people complaining about how everything was.

1 Like

I dont know how the game was because I started playing the free weekend at March, love the way it looks, decided to buy it and play with pleasure … until now.

2 Likes

I want to iterate here and say I think overall the visual upgrades we have received are amazing and job well done on about 70% of the changes, there is work to be done though on the part of the devs, I felt like I was surveying the damage in this update as apposed to be wowed or amazed and that sucks as a player when you have spent a large amount of time building something to look a specific way and to have the proverbial rug pulled from beneath you.