Lighting Poll

Hi,

a lot ppl like the new lightning effect, but some dark areas are too dark. At least thats what ppl say.
So James asked if we want them to tweak it, or we want a special option in the settings to we can do the correction ourselves.

So here is the poll :slight_smile:

• Seperate option in the setting
  • tweak done by devs permanently

0 voters

Of course final decision is up to devs. This is just for them to see our preferation.

1 Like

I think the developers are facing a loosing battle if they make one setting for everyone. Too many different monitors and GPU’s as well as the differences in the rooms where people play. I know I play on two different devices.

10 Likes

Not only do we have to deal with rain, but now lightning?

2 Likes

I wish there were more options xD

I am kinda in the middle of both, some things definitely needs more tweeking but others are very nice. I just think certain things they could have polled, as for which stuff gets a lot of reflective lighting and which removed, how dark colors get etc. Now many builds look pretty weird cause they are built on a certain color pattern which is no longer in the game.

Overall, I am very pleased with the lighting, even though my base looks so weird atm,

I have not seen the changes in person so I cannot vote right now. I think people need to focus on the best thing for the GAME and not their build. Move beyond a selfish stance and think about the game as a whole.

IF someone was starting out today with nothing they would build a place that met these lighting changes. They would be fine with it.

We need light levels that show true black to brilliant white. We need variation and the ability to have lighting that looks real. We can easily add more “lamps” or “storage lamps” or things that give focused lighting to help people that might feel their build is a bit dark. It is easy to add assets and use the current light design to help problem areas versus a holistic change.

We survived EA changes… this can be worked through… adjust the builds not the whole game.

11 Likes

If they add a setting in an individual’s menu, then I think it will be like a local file mod & the other players won’t be able to see it the way the creator/builder envisioned it.

I think there are a few things that are a bit too dark for everyone: plinths, machines, & shelves.

As far as blocks and other things…I personally like the lighting & think it makes everyone’s builds look more amazing…but that’s just my opinion.

7 Likes

White is too dark anyhow with the lighting changes :joy:

1 Like

the Problem is if i fix it for my self… you go in my house and See nothing?!

8 Likes

Neither? Leave it at is.

3 Likes

Lol depends on what the fix would look like to EVERYONE. perhaps do both?

I have to completely redo at least 3 full builds now because of the update. 2 of which I’m just going to completely get rid of because there is no fixing it without it looking like ■■■■

1 Like

An option to tweak, please. And make it on PS4, too. PS4 gets ignored, by many games, when it comes to graphics settings.

6 Likes

Personally, I’d much rather it be done globally.

If we have individual settings, each build will be targeting different settings (and look bad to some people).

Prediction (if it’s a setting): there will be posts like “why does this build look so dark/bad?” with responses of “turn up your lighting setting” …which then just becomes a de facto default

7 Likes

I like it.
Good work devs :grinning:
Darth Pain

4 Likes

This new lighting is not what i paid the game for.

2 Likes

I like an idea of a setting that users can adjust. That being said I LOVE the new lighting! I like the darkness. If I have lighting issues that bother me I will make adjustments to them. Things look so much better now.

3 Likes

Hmm. The lighting in my workshop is now very dark. I’ve tried placing lanterns and torches to see what effect they’d have and my conclusion is zero effect. I can barely see what’s on my storage. The place should be lit up like a Christmas tree, but it’s not casting any light towards the face of the storage blocks.

Perhaps a global tweak will be better. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Make it a beacon option. That way the lightning is the creators choice.

4 Likes

I think it looks absolutely horrible, especially at night. To be very honest, a lot cheaper than it did before. Gold & silver (or metals in general) do look good but marble, for example, looks terrible. I don’t understand why it reflects light like that. If marble does reflect, it’s because it’s polished - making it smooth and straight. It should be less reflective or smoother. I don’t know any material that looks like marble does in this game. It looks more unrealistic now and definitely needs a fix. All I do in this game is to build stuff. With most materials looking terrible and light that bad I will have to stop playing until they change it.

before and after (screenshot at daylight, much worse at night)

also - why those stripes suddenly?

I tested on 2 computers and 4 (all different) displays - doesn’t make any difference. Everything’s so dark at night and during the day it looks like someone’s turned the contrast up to extremes. Devs do need to tweak it

3 Likes

I think marble is way too shiny right now. Also Shedu Tier got now dark nights and new ambient lights there make stuff look little bit strange.

Building looks like it was made from ice, but it is white marble. :confused:

Still I like light system better than it was before, below two pictures to compare. I really like how lights on floor give better characteristics than before

Before

Now

2 Likes