Lighting Poll

yeah, the lighting is fine, it looks better, black is actually black and isn’t super shiny and everyone else, the lighting we are used to was broken as hell, some blocks were way to shiny and another thing, gleam wasn’t even meant to be a block you used to light your entire base, it was more meant to be a fancy expensive accent piece, but changes to the lighting made it brighter and as Havok has mentioned, the gleam is more like it was back in alpha, which is a good thing. I love the way the lighting now looks like, it looks stunning. as me and xaldafax and Havok learnt, when you are outside in the daylight lights like gleam appear duller, but you run inside and stare at the gleam, while not seeing the outside world, the light sources get brighter looking, which is absolutely amazing.

so it is wrong to trash the entire new lighting system without giving it a proper look at, just because “your” build no longer looks quite the same is selfish. everyone on this forum are the worst of the worst, shutting down conversations because it doesn’t “benefit” you and turning legit arguments into petty arguing.

You come and state that players who don’t like it are being stupid, arrogant and selfish to want it changed.

How about it go both ways. It is hurtful to my eyes, which gives me migraines so I can’t play. I can’t see what is in the room, I have problems now moving around outside at night and so it is stupid, selfish and arrogant of you to want me to have to suffer because you like it that way.

So, how do you like how I stated that? You don’t? Well, I didn’t like you calling me selfish and stupid because I find it painful in some areas, that because I can’t see at night at all now either I have to spend the time waiting in the sanctum for daylight, which means I lose a lot of play time. Or take a chance in running around in what is to me total darkness and fall into pits, lava, over cliffs and die from any of them.

This isn’t a I just don’t like it for some of us, it is that it affects how we can play, how we can enjoy the game (NOT for some) and if we feel we can even continue to play the game with how it affects us.

Each player is different, some just don’t like it, some are bothered by it and find it uncomfortable, some find that it is making it so difficult to play that they don’t feel it is worth it.

Try walking a mile in their shoes, see it from their side instead of your superior attitude that others feelings are of no value and you can put them down for having them.

3 Likes

Problem with going and seeing what they see is that you don’t see what they see because you aren’t on their computer, looking through their monitor.

I have a 10 year old I think 16 inch monitor. My son has a curved 27 inch monitor that he paid $2k for. His computer is a fancy gaming one that cost him $6k one year ago. Mine is a cheap okay brand gaming computer that I paid $1,100 for it three years ago.

I know for a fact that what I see at times he sees differently. I have my setting on Ultra, he has his on low but his view is further than mine, he sees things before I do and they are clearer and even more detailed when I can finally see them, they are blurry at first, then get clear.

He had to come and see what I was seeing from my monitor before he understood why I wasn’t seeing what he was seeing when we were out one day.

That is what is happening here, five players can take their characters together out and look at the same building, same planet in the sky, the same whatever it is and they will all five see it differently. the only way to get a idea is for one to make a video recording and even then it won’t show up exactly because of how your monitor will show it.

Everyone here needs to realize that what you see is NOT what the other players see, so stop acting like they are lying, that they are just being selfish, self centered, uncaring, whinny babies, whatever you want to label it and realize that for some, the change isn’t good.

Do I want it to go back to what it was? No, some of the colors are brighter, much nicer. But the darker ones, the colors at night, they are just not good. I already know that a lot of my gathering may have to be cut back as I won’t be able to be out at night on some planets. That I will have to spend coins buying more mats to make my forging mats because I can’t spend even more time gathering as I can’t see at night to collect depending on what I am gathering and where.

So, the only “stupid, selfish, arrogant, and self-centered” people are the ones who don’t want to realize that each and every person who has a computer or laptop or PS4 system so have to a TV will see something different from each and every other person who is playing.

Hubby and I have a old plasma tv and our son has a nice big screen tv in his room so what he sees is different from our little 40 inch plasma tv. Right now, remodeling the bathroom is more important than a TV, Maybe not me getting a bit larger monitor, but that won’t cost us 10k like the bathroom is going to.

1 Like

I do not want anyone to suffer, and if you have problems that cause migraines when playing the game then maybe some changes need to be made

1 Like

I don’t care, because I know I am not selfish and arrogant and assuming I am upset about that is stupid. I am not calling anyone specifically arrogant and selfish and I am completely open to discussing problems with the lighting, what I am saying is that those that demand it be changed, because they don’t like it because it affected there build in a way they don’t like, are selfish and arrogant.

no one is saying they are lying, people who go and have a look at someone else’s base is just trying to see if it is as bad as they say and it is wrong to assume people are saying other people are lying.

and others like xaldafax, do know that he is seeing somethings different then others, he is not trying to say others are wrong with what they are seeing, so stop assuming things, how about instead you politely asks by what he means about it

Some of us haven’t demanded it be changed back. Like myself I just find no joy in this now since the lighting change. It can stay how it is and I’ll just go enjoy a different game and spend my money on those. They don’t need me in this game, what’s the loss of one more player going to do. If I was to think it mattered if I was here or not I’d be completely self absorbed.

I do know that other people have different stuff and that will change how they see things, but demanding something be changed because it doesn’t work for them is not the way to fix problems

I’ve seen screenshots of one of my builds from a pc player and it looks slightly better than it does for me on PS4. Tho I still dont think it looks good.

I am not saying everyone who dislikes it is demanding it be changed and if you find no joy in the changes then that is okay, I am not saying everyone has to love it, people can disagree and I respect that.

I am not saying my opinions are better are that I don’t see where others are coming from with their opinions, I am saying those who demand it changes because they don’t like the way it affected there builds are arrogant and selfish and as I have said in other posts, people can dislike it, I don’t care if they do.

I think all views are of value even ones I do not think are good, maybe I could have worded my rants better and I am sorry if I have offended you or anyone else for that matter.

but directly attacking me and assuming what I meant with what I wrote is wrong and I will not back down on some of my views. sorry but that is just what I think.

I figured out what was hurting my eyes. In dark areas I tend to use a diamond torch. For whatever reason I now find using that light source harsh and uncomfortable. I’m now using a lantern. Using a lantern may look a little silly but it’s easier on the eyes. So maybe that information will be helpful to any other players with similar issues.

1 Like

If you can find a developer saying this then fine otherwise it is your opinion. Since EA we have been able to use gleam to light builds, I used it in my builds, not torches or lanterns and everything was fine. Before they made the lighting changes in EA and after so gleam was used to provide light even before they changed the lighting to the way it looked at launch.

In any discussion with the developers, even now they are not saying it was not meant to be used to light builds. So not sure where you are getting your “facts” from.

4 Likes

Havok who has been around since alpha

I’ve not once seen him say that. @Havok40k

Also he’s not a dev. Just a player. So it’s just his opinion not a fact.

2 Likes

Many people have been around for a long time, but that doesn’t mean they have all the answers. While I can appreciate how @Havok40k helps moderate the forums and like him as a person, Havok is not a developer. I have never seen, nor has anyone provided, any forum posts from a developer stating that people shouldn’t use gleam as a primary light source or even the only source of lighting for their builds. While that may be Havok’s personal opinion, it would really surprise me if you could find a post by @james or any of the other developers who share that idea.

But hey, he has been around a long time so he may be able to provide it. Lots of stuff are lost to the forums so you never know.

2 Likes

In any case, whether is was meant or not doesn’t matter.
It’s like if I say “my build was meant to be a small workshop and nothing more”. It was, but the original idea evolved organically into something else.
We did end-up with gleam being used very commonly as an alternative for torches. That’s just a fact. Do you really think the devs would tell us “you guys are not using gleam as it was intended!” ?

3 Likes

In fact let me show you a developer quote basically saying the opposite

Also developers have told us to use gleam and lanterns in place of torches to get away from complex blocks.

4 Likes

Please keep all discussions on these forums away from name calling and attacking other players. This forum is here to discuss Boundless, the game… not the people that play it.

Everyone here is entitled to an opinion about the game and should be free to provide input and discuss those opinions, we don’t all have to agree with them… but we do have to be civil towards one another.

If you have an opinion about other players, keep if off the forums please - it doesn’t belong here.

4 Likes

My apologies are the @Stretchious. I know better. Years and years ago I was a forum moderator and I know that I should have looked for a way to defuse this, not added fuel to the fire.

Just too much of the underdog protector and forgot that we have moderators here want us player to feel we can speak freely, but also know that they have the responsibility to stop it before it gets out of hand and remind us that we should act as adults, not children.

So to Stretch, sorry for my getting out of line, I meant what I said, but shouldn’t have said it here, just in my mind, or typed it in word and then deleted it. Something that many of us need to learn to do, keep our mouth shut, support others instead of tearing them down, try to see things from their point of view and not our own viewpoint.

That I failed in doing. Will work more on doing so as I read more forum posts, which good things the farm has been released, I have too much to do to get on the forum and get snarly in my old age. :slight_smile:

1 Like