Long term game funding

This is simply not true. I´ve played over 1000 ranked games in Starcraft II and I could count the matches with/against flamer on one hand.

Yeah but in no way they encourage bad manners. In most PvP games it´s usual to say at least “glhf” at the beginning and “gg” after a game. In Eve Online there is even an unwritten rule that you only shoot down a player until he cant contest the objective anymore and don´t completely annihilate him (of course there are some black sheeps that ignore this rule but that percentage is smaller than you might think).

A slightly increased ore distribution would imo be a good start. Awesome (but highly unlikely) would be if PvP worlds would have a special ore that you can only obtain there.

What systems in New Eden have you been having out in?

1 Like

I was talking about factional warfare.
Mostly Caldary/Gallente border, near Catch if i remember correctly.

Mining OPs were mostly deep in CVA space (providence)

I would rather not have people pay stuff to advance in the game. Maybe to pay for personal protection of their stuff is a better way.

Okay, that makes more sense now. Yes, in low sec people wont jump you unless your mods are worth losing the sec status over. There not being nice, your mods just aren’t worth it.

You can take all of that and throw it in the trash the second you step across 0.0 boundary and you will be greeted by a bubble gate camp, and the true nature of Eve.

1 Like

Pretty sure he just said ‘‘A weapon skin which can be used throughout the game, which stats depends on the material’’

so assuming you make an iron sword, it can look like that, same with steel, mithril, onyx. etc. the stats will be the same as a normal onyx sword, but you could make it to look like the skin you bought :smile:

1 Like

When you are enlisted in FW potshots don´t result in sec status loss, even in highsec. So it´s purely being nice.

That´s true, but what else would you expect from pirates? I also have to say that Providence was relatively save due to CVAs (dunno if you know them or if they still exist) very strict KoS rule and their frequent fleet roams.

That´s why generous CCP gave us JF and Jumpclones :smile:

I´d suggest that if we want to continue discussing exclusive EvE Online topics we should make a separate thread since it´s getting pretty off topic now.

1 Like

OpenPVP Games like Lineage II, Tera (Lineage III leaked code) and Archage (Headdev of Lineage) always have a good influence on behaviour because you can not kill s/o without negative impacts. Thats why you don’t go rambo in those games. In games like dayz/ark/warz there is no option for you. Die or get the items of the other guy. Thats why this is ‘kill on sight’. Good openpvp is no kill on sight.

4 Likes

Just out of interest how much would it destroy the game for you if people where able to buy vanity items?

As vanity items is one of the easiest non game-breaking ways to keep a steady money flow.

1 Like

Maybe Arena.Net exaggerated with vanity items in GW2 but at the current stage you only have few armor skins (most of them look like ■■■■ and are rarely seen). Most of the “good” looking skins can only be aquired if you play a few hundred or thousand of hours or you need to buy them in the gem-store. there are no “mid-range” item skins because they have been replaced from the gem-store skins (IMO).

forthermore there is also a bunch of “casual” items which help lazy people with their gameplay like infinite mining, collecting or recycling tools and a lot of boosts for nearly anything. Some players pay money for this advantages while others try to structure their inventories or their gameplay.

the complete gem-store of GW2 leads directly to “casual” players who are willing to spend a few $ from time to time. there is no real reason the play the game passionate or be online for more than 30m a day. that’s why i don’t like vanity items.

to conclude i’d rather pay a monthly fee (that’s something i said before) than see payed vanity items in game.

2 Likes

To me it sounds like you have a larger problem with boosts than the vanity items themself?

I personally loved how the armors looked in GW2 and the corloring system provided enough flexibilty for skins not really being necesary to look good?

1 Like

Hard to divide in GW2 that’s true. For example there are no “real” vanity skins for a collecting axt (only the infinite one). It really depends on the system that is chosen from the @devs but because this is something which we can’t really influence I would reject it rather than accept it.

1 Like

What kind of system would be ok by your opinion?

because we all know that servers cost money it would prefer to pay a monthly fee and therefore see regular updates (because the @devs have a regular income) and everybody can acquire every item with skill or patience.

In comparison CS:GO has a perverted system for collection money => chests + keys. Vanity-Items (Skins) are really only vanity but it’s so hard to get the nice ones and i know that some of my friends spend 1000k+€ to open chests for nothing at all.
This system I am extremely skeptical about.

CS:GO system is plain rediculess yeah, it is basically set up to push the prices up so valve can claim more money on the transactions.

In games where you can buy the individual skins at choice that often becomes much less of a problem.

The problem with paying monthly fees is that games like that quickly ends up costing a lot of money something that have started making a lot of players avoid games where that is done (I personalyl have used 2.000 on wow only counting subscibtion)

1 Like

Valve is also the evil behind the keys. I’m sure they don’t really care for the transaction claims because they get so many from the keys itself. But that’s off-topic.

Where do you expect the border of vanity ? What is the “game-content” itself and where does vanity starts ? I know that one (like you) might pay a lot with monthly fees too, but that is something that can be calculated really easy (like you did now) but the expenses on vanity items might not so easy to calculate over time (i really don’t know what i’ve spend on CS:GO items in the past 3 years … a lot definitely …).

1 Like

As long as does not directly affect the gameplay it is technically vanity, with the latest update about armor it could just as well be a extra variation to the armor as ther already exist variations of each set piece.

On the other hand you can play the game without the vanity items meaing that it becomes an extra fee you choose instead of not being able to play the game without paying.

something we can discuss likely forever … that’s why there are different systems => because there is no “best system”.

1 Like

I think a lot of this boils down to different interpretations of “vanity item”. As @Thorbjorn42gbf said, I think most of the disagreement is over boosts and buffs, and I think most of us can agree that we don’t want that in boundless. I also think there is some skepticism over gambling systems like chest/keys and random rewards. I am 100% for vanity skins and items that I can pick and choose. I do not want any form of hidden costs or exploited costs.

4 Likes

I always love this discussion it generates such an endless torrent of debate. My preference is for a system that’s fair, transparent, and offers no advantage over others. My only wish for Boundless is that the developers choose a system that is all of those things, and then stick to it. The one guaranteed way to make me as a customer never play a game again is to be inconsistent and underhanded with pricing models.

3 Likes