Long term game funding

No I definitely also don´t like bought skins. Improving the appearance of your character is an as big part of the progression as gaining a higher lvl and skins are therefore nothing else than a bought skip in progression for me.

I think in the same way. Rather a fee than vanity items in any form.
And i think a (voluntary) fee is going to come in the form of rented servers.
This plus chargeable account services (character name change, readjusting the appearance of your char. etc) are hopefully enough to keep the game running.
Don´t forget that the dev team of boundless is a lot smaller (~20) than the dev team of (for example) GW2 (~200) and that the needed sever capacity will be distributed across privately rented and offical servers.

1 Like

Now there is a differenece between keeping the servers going and having a steady income ^.^ Something that is important for a team to be able to do further developement and create new games at a later date.

3 Likes

Interesting take on skins there. I have never considered character skins as a form of progression before, but rather as customization because they have zero effect on gameplay- only apperance.

If there is no progression of skins and all basic varients of skins are available from the beginning, do you still consider paid for skins as “progression”?

1 Like

If there is no reason to play/collect/hunt for skins (or good looking skins) i’d miss a huge part of a RPG. In my opinion skins show progression in the easiest way … if you have the “cool” looking shiny / burning / glowing armor you need to be “bad-ass”! In other RPGs i’v always searched good skins and saved money to buy them or tried to collect them (eg. in TES)

2 Likes

Probably not. But I definitely don´t like skins in MMORPGs nonetheless.
Imo the only acceptable kind of skins in MMORPGs are hilarious/fun ones like certain ones in ESO (wedding dress/suit, chef´s outfit, clown, etc.)

1 Like

I think Heroes of the Storm has a nice approach to skins. The Master Skins, which are progression based, are (arguably) visually-improved versions of the basic skin. Skins for real money are just fun, silly thematic variations of the character.

I have no issue with skins in the game for either character models or armor models or extra vanity items (think like a scarf or something, as an example). With 4800 different item pieces present in 1.0 I don’t think people will have trouble finding a suitable look.

2 Likes

We’ve had this whole argument before where people were upset with the idea of an exclusive race for higher tier backers and the argument basically boiled down to people being upset because it was exclusive/out of their reach. Which is the purpose. Items/Equipment/Skins that are bought for vanity or whatever should make you want to buy them. I see no point in the “aesthetics progression” argument, especially when the point above is taken into consideration.

Ok I think I now see where you guys are coming from! I don’t mean gear skins like wearables. I mean model reskins like fur patterns, color, tattoos, or head appendages for the base character model. Your progression would still be reflected by what you equip. I think boundless’s wearables system is a great opportunity to show off vanity skins like tribal tattoos, fur patterns, and other base-model features.

3 Likes

And Vanity items are? Sorry not used to the term

1 Like

Vanity items are items that are bought with real money, but have no impact on gameplay. Typically non-combat pets, decorative items, or toys.

2 Likes

I would be “more ok” with that but still would not like it.

Imo there are a many better options for cash shop items:

• Rented additional character slot(s)
  • Makeover kit (change appearance of a character)
  • Character name change

And if that + rented servers doesn´t acquire enough money they could always patch in character/wearable skins retrospektiv, I would just not like to see them right from the get-go.

3 Likes

Do like Minecraft Realms. Offer to professionally host private servers that people can connect (or not connect) to other private servers and interconnect them to official Boundless host worlds. Also, I like how War Gaming uses in-game gold to do small perks (experience and silver coin bonus for premium subscribers). Some premium items (never the best, but people can jump right into higher level items).

I’ll host my own private server on my Google Fiber 1 Gbps very low latency network on very fast server. Most people will not want that option so professional hosting (affordable) would be a popular option.

All “official” servers will be hosted by Wonderstruck, though I think you can run unofficial servers your self. I think, anyway. A dev will correct me if I’m wrong.

I personally feel a cash shop should do all of those things plus some, but I think this is a good place for a compromise.

2 Likes

I’d be ok with that except for the additional character slots. I’m still hoping we’ll only get one character.

As @Vastar said this would be ok, but in general i don’t like it too.

That’s also called “buff” and it’s one of the things i don’t like too. Everything you have should be acquired through “work” and not with lazy shortcuts.

this should be good to keep the game / servers running but for a “regular income” (planning safety) they still need fees IMO. Maybe @ben or @james can tell us something about the long time game funding of B<. There are also questions about the pricing of private servers that have not been answered yet.

I hope for a character per race.

1 Like

That is a general agreement it seems most of the community is against pay-to-win

2 Likes

This is correct.

@Vastar and @Heurazio, can you guys explain why you’re against non-game breaking, non-aesthetic progression items? So far I’ve just seen “I don’t like it” but that doesn’t show me why.

1 Like

Could you give some examples of such items? The only items that fit into that description that I can think of would be exp boosts.

Do you like ingame cashhops?
I always thought that everyone thinks of them as “necessary evil”.

AFAIK people hate p2w ^^
I have no idea why anyone would have a problem with skins though… They are purely aesthetical and don’t provide any unfair advantages.

1 Like

I´m not talking about p2w but about cashhops and vanity items in general.

1 Like