Long term game funding

With all the above mentioned fragmentation. If private rentals don’t cut the bill, my vote would be for a sub NOT microtraning. I would like to see the game continue to be developed and refined over time.

3 Likes

So I might be totally crazy here, but…what if Oort did something like the Team Fortress hats?

Phrased differently, is there room and opportunity for a marketplace of player creations?

There is, and it’s a possibility longer term :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would have to say that I would prefer the Oort Dollar (in game currency, to use in game or offline). This would hold many purposes and similar to other MMOs, where you could buy boosts, mounts, gear, blocks, etc… I am sure buying stacks of materials would be an easy buck for the Devs >=)…

You could buy Merch too (shirts, game copies, specials). In game, you could use it to buy things from other players, buy from NPC merchants, used to open dungeons, buy extra player slots, etc…

This would be very Pay to win though whcih is very frowned upon

This too

And these.

hough i like this idea and it have been brought up on multiple occasion

1 Like

//sorry for reviving an old thread but while i read through this i came up with an idea that wasn’t mentioned yet.

I don’t Like the idea of micro-transactions at all, that’s a system which is acceptable for F2P games but if I have to buy a game i want the whole game without any limitations (slower lvling/mining due to the lack of boosts ect.).

Mine too.

But now to my suggestion:
One core modding feature in MInecraft was the ability to customize the texture of the game (texturepacks) and since you wont be able to mod on the core MMO worlds (at least i think so) this could be a long term founding feature.

This:

1. could sell pretty well (everyone i know in Minecraft has at least one texture pack installed)
  2. wont be too hard to make (If a dedicated modder can create a HD texture pack in his spare time I´m sure a team of full time game developer can mange something like that with ease)
  3. wont affect the gameplay at all (other player wont even recognize that you are using a texture pack)

The most basic idea for texture packs are the 4 seasons (maybe sold separately).
This could look somewhat like this:

hopefully it does not end like in LoL.

LoL then i want my money back pls.

i dont think that texture packs is just that easy. given that it is an mmo

Microtransactions like energy systems are horrible. however cashshops are still the way to go, skins are a good one. exp boosts are highly discussed in multiple games whether or not they count as pay to win, maybe titles, companions that cant do anything etc…

i understand your opinion but you also have to know that in a game that is b2p there will most likely be things you have to pay for if you want everything (including stuff that is not important).
i dont doubt the devs will make the game epic. and i dont think they will do anything overpowered or pay 2 win, but there might be cosmetics and stuff you cannot get without paying, because even though they make a game because they want to, making a game is still a busssiness and you cannot survive without money. :smile:

How does this game being a MMO relate to the difficulty of making texture packs?

So you think a new texture overlay on the flat surface of a block (texturepack) is harder to make than a new moving, animated 3D model (skin)?

That´s why i quoted @Karko:

No. Just no. Cashshops are the epitome of everything that’s wrong with modern gaming industry. Everything that should speed up my progression in the game or improve my appearance should be the effort i put into the game not the balance of my credit card.
The games i grew up with (Diablo 1/2, Warcraft 2/3, HOMM, to name a few) where released for 60 bucks. If the game got popular the developer released an addon that added MAJOR contend to the game for ~half the price of the core game. Thats how all non subscription fee based games should work. //nostalgia

just gonna say lets agree to disagree then :smile:

What could u add to the shop without make the game pay2win?

1. Skins/Costumes.

2. Megaphone: Everyone ingame will see the message.

3. Race Change.

4. Change name of the guild.

5. Recreate Charakter (face,hair,colors).

This is think would be inappropriate too, i know some games uses things like summonable auction house. summonable banks and guild banks. this is also something i think would break the game a bit. given that you lose your items upon death.

but yeah generally things like name changes, ‘‘recreate’’ your character (face, hair, colors) maybe a race change but if raciels are good then that might also be a bit weird.

generally things that wont give an advantage :smiley:

yeah. i will edit it.

I also think that making an Addon may be a mayor way to keep the money income. It could be a new tier with many new titans, guardians, new item sets or tools or even a new race or material type. There would only be questions like “can we use the creatures in the world builder for lower tiers and can then player without the addon reach them?” which have to be answered before, but I think that would be not a big problem.

+1 for Addons with much new content :wink:

1 Like

So u want to make DLC"s? for a B2P game? More pay2win isnt possible.

Hey did I already mention 3D printed figures of our personal character?

1 Like

When we compare Dota 2 and Leagues’s as pay to win, you are looking at 100% wrong. Skins in both games are there as an ‘extra’ meaning you getting nothing from it but a cooler look. Never once on my grind through Gold did I need to invest in paid items to win. I play as Pantheon alot as he is my favorite character and I have paid zero dollars to play the game (as a whole, basic gameplay). I have invested in a skin because I wanted to ‘invest’ in that character not because it is a money wheel.

Other Example: WoW, people pay $15 a month for the expectation of updates, mods and changes weekly. They pay for these services. We can reference Guild Wars but until Oort is bring in millions of players than this comparison is terrible.

If Oort offered boosts or bonuses for players that is not pay 2 win. Take for example, if I wanted to buy a $2 24 Game-Time Deconstruction Boost. I want to invest in this item as a boost to my own desires. Oort is making money but I am not playing to win. If this game really does emerge to what I hope it would be, I would not hesitate to drop money into it for exclusive items. If any of you are minecraft people, we all know we would have bought a $10 unbreakable, maxed out Diamond pickaxe with all the stats at 5.

As the dev’s have said, “what is pay to win in Oort”?

Having items or boost that gives an advance (in stats, durability or time conusmed by actions) would be pay to win and will be disgusting and scaring away many players (me as well).

2 Likes

no i wouldnt. if this was the only way i would quit.