Long term game funding

the blind hate piques my interest quite a bit. can you explain to me what the word ‘‘cash shop’’ involves for you? like which items, and why it is so bad? you had one argument that ‘‘you should have everything when you buy the game’’ but are there other reasons? because the only reason i would see anybody be against it is P2W items.

if you dont want to explain its fine, i just think there might be some difference on what you think a cashshop has to be and what a cashshop can be :smiley:

1 Like

IMO, the difference is purely whether you can buy things that are not possible to get otherwise and that have an impact on gameplay (so not purely cosmetic items).

Eg, if you can buy a sword that is stronger than any sword you can possibly ever get by playing the game without paying extra, then that is a P2W item.

I personally have no issue against games that allow people to advance faster than would normally be possible if they so choose to pay for it in a game that is not pvp based as long as the game is not itself designed to push people into doing that (eg the whole ‘wait 20 hours for task to complete, or pay to speed it up’)

LoL so that means if the oort shop is up all i have to do is to buy all the gear i need. lvling up crafting etc would just be a waste of time. I will get bored after 10 mins and log off lol. just if that gonna happen.

If you were a very rich person with a loose wallet you probably could sure :stuck_out_tongue: Of course, what would be the point in buying the game in the first place if that were your intentions?

I’m hopeful that such a shop is not necessary though.

Ok, let´s discuss this^^

One big factor is probably that i grew up with subscription fees and addons but that’s a personal preference

Now to the different types of things a cashshop usually offers and what i think about them:
exp/gold boosts:

mounts/pets:
That´s something WoW started with (I think) and it really bothered me. Before they started with their cashshop (in addition to an already existing subscription system [those greedy bastards]) there were a few color swapped basic mounts you could buy for ingame money and some unique mounts that took immensive amount of work to get (A boss that needed a 25 player group and that was so hard that barely anyone has even seen him had a 0.88% chance to drop one mount (I intentionally chose this extreme example, there were easier to get unique mounts too)
After they implemented the cashshop there still were hard to get mounts but everybody was like : meh, I´ve bought a mount for 10 bucks that looks better
(please note that every mount (hard to get, bought for ingame currency or bought for real money had the same stats)

Skins:
IMHO thats the worst idea for an MMO(ish) game. I see that many people come from MOBAS and there i like/enjoy this system (I´ve spent over 100.- on LoL) but in an MMO it´s big aspect of the game to improve your gear. If there are skins the whole “equipment -improving-part” of the game becomes just a grinding for stats since your look is defined by your skin anyway. This leads to the same problem i have with mounts: He has the best Titanslayer qeuipment? Meh this 5 .- skin looks better anyway

I never said everything should be free, I just suggested alternative ideas to a cashshop.

You know that until a few weeks ago ESO was b2p AND had a subscription fee? They just switched to a cashshop model because they released on console too and had problems with collecting monthly fees on consoles.

Mate. i preordered ESO, they were dying.

ESO was P2P without cash shop for a long time, but decided to go buy to play, when they went buy to play they made a cashshop you see why i use this example? it is just how it works.

i think if you are against p2w it is fine, but the arguments that ‘‘some people will get a skin they like’’ is a bit weak, if you dont want to feel like that i would just recommend not buying the skins xD

but indeed, thanks for explaining your viewpoints, though i still find them weird and i disagree. i see why you have the opinion a bit more clearly now :smile:

1 Like

well… p2w makes people disgusted, but pay to skip as you mentioned also leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many players.

basically skins are always accepted, companions, things that doesnt affect the game play at all, things that do affect gameplay is what gets people annoyed. and call pay to win, which is why exp boosts and gold boosts are highly discussed whether or not they are fair. for crafting materials, weapons, and other stuff like that. those things should never be buyable for real money. cause that is p2w or pay 2 skip.

the best bussiness model have always been pay 2 skin xD

other things are like ‘‘regret’’ options, such as name changes, character recreation, faction change. race changes. face changes (cheaper than full body change) gender changes, and etc… i can try to look all of it up if the team is interested in my viewpoints on the cashshop parts that are sold? i know i know, i dont matter much, but i think it would be a good idea to compare various ways it have been done both well and poorly, but only gonna do it if people want me to :smile:

4 Likes

i totally agree with Zouls. The best thing is pay 2 skin. I spent over 2700 hours on playing LoL and i always buy one or two skins in a few Months. Also name change, race chang, faction change etc is a good thing because it doesnt effect the gameplay.

2 Likes

This would be used by spammers big time.

It think someone did I do not remember if it was you though?

1 Like

i am against a global chat system to a big extend, have discussed that alot and dont want to steer away the thread. point being that we should be able to craft something that spans the world in terms of chat, so i can make a public event announcement. or stuff. thing like this would work, but i agree, it should be an ingame thing.

3 Likes

Megaphone:

Maybe u can only use them every 5 minutes once.

Why do we need one?

If we have different things like guild chat and PM to friends and others I dont see a use for global chat special if the game gets bigger and you got like 50 people doing it at the same time. It would get pretty annoying when trying to talk to a friend or something and you have random messages that had little to no importance to you what so ever.

1 Like

Like Zouls I’m also not a fan of pay to skip or pay to geht more xp/gold items. Those are also pay to win for me cuz if you want to be the best as fast as possible then you have to buy them.

The only way I like such boost is how guild wars 2 handled then: Through a tradable cash-currency that was also obtainable ingame through other methods.

In guild wars there were gems that could be used to be stuff in the ingame store (like skins, boosts, repair kits (to repair without having to get to a city), companions (cosmetic) or more stashes in the inventory), but these gems could not only be bought by cash, but also traded through a ingame trader (where the price was set by offer and need between players) and also were obtained in pvp tournaments and some other situations (like doing dailies or with Achievements).

So if you add such items (what I hope you don’t) let there be a way to get those without having to pay cash for them. Add a currency ingame like gw or let the items be tradable (may be only the boost or those other items that effect gameplay). I would go for the special currency which is tradable, cuz that would lead to more freedom and may be a better way to get the economy easier to handle. Also let us get those currency or items also ingame (on a more rare occasion) like through some daily todos or as rare loot on titans, hidden chests or as a rare resource found underground.

On this way you allow people to pay money if they want, but also give other players the possibility to get those items without paying (but through work). Also, on this way players with less time can trade them to get more ingame currency and players who play for long have another gold sink (if there is no gold boost :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ).

And ps: I played gw2 a lot a while ago and loved to spend some gold now and then for gems, on which way I supported others to be those gems with cash. So I also gave money to NCsoft without opening my wallet :wink:

2 Likes

few things

1. gw2 sold exp boosts
  2. there went total inflation in the gems
  3. while they make these systems sound nice you have to realize what they actually are. it is basically just developer made gold selling. which is why it bothers me a bit.

cash shop items should not be tradeable, cause again while it would encourage people who have much time to get the stuff, it is virtually just gold selling. which i personally dislike in any form.

How about this,

They just make Oort F2P, no items to buy, no boost, no skins, no purchase fee. That way we dont have anything close to a pay to win…

Oh wait we want a game that going to be constantly updated and growing. If you want a logical approach to the fiscal success and longevity of this project you need to compare it to other ‘indie’ developed game. League of Legends had millions (8 million plus) to start at launch.

Less do skins for what $2? Less say for launch this game gets up to 50k players. Basic math = $100,000… That would get the game no-where and that would be banking on 100% player to skin rate.

When you have people paying subscriptions or for items you are funding the game as a whole. Sure people get an advantage but you get to play the game! Oh and not only the game but you get the updates and items that come with. You can’t sit here and beg for crazy, in-depth items and detail and not expect to pay for it. If I personally want to pay $15 dollar for a better hammer, be grateful you have a basic hammer that is free. If not, google voxel and moba games that didnt make it, there are alot of them…

On another note, Oort could sell itself to Sony since Minecraft is owned by Mircosoft now. That way we wouldn’t have to worry about funding!

Like pets, but more so that you can summon, and un-summon them at will, and have multiples.

Having a pet system that is only useable for money is a bit…

would be hillariously epic though if we got a companion system, we could catch real creatures and then we get a mini companion form of it XD

but again, just derp thoughts.

How about something like the cases in cs:go? Just instead of a M4A1 S|hyperbeast you would get a scythe skin or something like that :smiley:

1 Like

i would buy a good looking skin even for 10 €.

1 Like

i think that would only work in an aracde-y game like CS:GO (meaning you take a game, then take another game, proress not going from game to game) but yeah skins are good.

i still hope for a costume system and a dye system. having dyes drop randomly will make rare ones much more valuable and create a heatlhy economy. you could then sell thse random dye packs in the store for those who dont want to find packs :smile:

1 Like