Long term game funding

I thought we had a character creator, you know those things where you customize to your hearts content before you go out into the game world? Why am I hearing all this skin buying talk? Why not just cosmetic items, or physical products?

Skins for items, rather than characters.

1 Like

Yeah… skin refers to items or rather looks of items xD

They could sell transformations that works like mini games like the ones you get in GW2 on holidays and such :slight_smile:

Problem is that if they sell better items the PvP would be dominated by paying players.

I am sure everyone agrees with paying for stuff that does not influence the gameplay itself. If you take a look on a lot of the dead MMORPG games you will see a lot of the games stopped being played because of being to Pay to Win

1 Like

@Thorbjorn42gbf the ultimate struggle that this topic faces is the fact that we honestly don’t know what this game will be like from a pve or pvp standpoint. Hiyosup brought up the point about character creators vs. skin buying. Until we know what we will have we can’t really pinpoint what we should be able to buy. Pet’s are cool and all but can Oort stay afloat with more of the trivial in-game purchases?

Even though many people that voice there opinions in here about anti-pay and bully those in opposition to that view, There are still people that see the true value in subscription gaming. It would be nice if Oort just came out and said here is what it looks like from a money standpoint, in greater detail than the thread post awhile back.

subscription is not the answer, not even by a mile. can you even imagine the outroar it would cause if they did that… dang…

We are not talking about physical skin, not like ‘‘pay 5 dollars and you can get pink skin color’’ not at all. again as was also mentioned, it is item skins, basically things you can take over your own equipment and your gear would look like that, examples:

basically you pay to look cool. also works for weapons, i personally prefer to just use the ingame looks for weapons, cause i can then see a difference. but the biggest thing i like is when i can take the look from 1 item and stats from another. so i dont have my master of doom character running around with a pink toy sword just cause it has epic stats xD

wooow… i dont even know how to respond to this. ‘‘we are having a civil discussion, but everybody who disagrees with me is buillying me,’’ that is not really how it works. but whatever floats your goat i guess xD

@Thorbjorn42gbf ohhh you mean the ‘‘costume party battle’’ thingy? that one was bloody awesome. useless. but awesome xD

like i have a cake launcher, cause logic does not need to apply :smiley:

but yeah you are correct. p2w is a doom for games. also just suddenly going ‘‘well we decided to go subscription based, even though we have said from the start we wont do that’’ is just not going to happen.

as mentioned a million times, ‘‘regret’’ items, costumes. maybe dyes if they add it, i know ESO recently revamped the mount system so every mount speed and stats are tied to your character so you can buy a horse for 10k gold (wont take longer than few hours to get) or you can pay some money to get a cooler looking horse (shadow steed ftw)

but pay to skip and pay to win are generally not a good idea. it can be accepted a bit more in a f2p game, but in a b2p it would make the game go up in flames… literally…

1 Like

Not sure if this will help, but I think Perfect World is a good source for good and bad ideas for funding.
(All from past experience)

#PWI Cash Shop
The Good:

• Fancy Vendors (substitute with colored beacon probably? I still don’t know how the trading system will work)
  • gashapon system for mounts and wings (keep scrolling past the rank sale)
  • Fashion
  • Dye Pigments (you have to keep on buying dyes for each armor/fashion piece, they’re not unlimited like in GW2).

Neutral?:

The Bad:

• You actually have to spend hundreds of dollars for endgame gear and max out your enhancements
  • Inflated currency exchange (1 million coins = 1$/gold back when I played in 2012)
  • The Rank Sale (for endgame gear)
  • Cash items that allows to enhance your weapons without fail (it’s needed since it’s extremely rare to enhance +12 without it)
  • Hyper Exp Stone
  • Battle Pet (class exclusive sale, basically your endgame pet)
  • Dragon Orbs (100% chance enhancement item)

There’s more, but that’s all I can remember

1 Like

@Zouls, I would hope that after reading your post that you are asked by a video game historian to be cited in their work. How do you generalize that subscription is not the answer or that there would be an up roar. I would pay 10-15 a month for the sexiest voxel game in the world if i had to -----> that is a generalization for the other side that would not be in uproar…

You can clearly see the difference between a civil discussion and someone blatantly tell another person their idea is wrong and or stupid. Take back to the post about separating the suggestion category. The moment after the author posted it, there were about 5 Oort Forum Gestapo posting that this was a stupid idea and should be ignored. We all have a right to disagree but using phase like “not the answer, not even by a mile” suggest that you are the only one correct in this discussion.

Not everyone needs to post when someone disagrees with someone. If I posted a forum about butt-lasers that allow you to break stone incredible fast. let me post it with the Gestapo telling me they disagree with it. I would hope the forums grow into a more supportive community as we see with the art work some people post. We have comment like “great job”, “that is awesome”. How about a little bit more of that?

2 Likes

subscription is just the worst thing that could happen.

1 Like

OK so with a cash shop which im not against at all you do have to be careful of what you do and do not put in it.

On one side you have things that no one wants that are pointless and wont sell so theirs really no point in the shop if it doesn’t do anything.

While on the other you have great items and things like being able to get better weapons and all that the only bad thing is that you have to worry if these can be sold and if the game isn’t balanced for it with things like premade shops with NPC’s where the prices dont change. you just have to deal with the market getting crazy and kill all the player set priced shops to a point, however in most MMO’s they do have a way to either balance that issue or have the game to where using shops were players set the price is not mandatory.

In oort if I understand correctly thou everything that is sold will be set by players. So if certain items that could be harmful then get into the game the economy could be destroyed not only hurting the game but possibly killing it in the process. So things like weapon skins. outfits, or better weapons would do this and thous items would be safer just to not have or just have them in-game with out having to buy them.

ALSO if any item in the cash shop is popular you have another issue with modding where you can probably not only get that for free but you can probably get it better.

i see no problem in selling skins/costumes in the itemshop. Just make them untradeable.

2 Likes

Which was suggested as a solution before and iv also said the same thing glad your on the same page as most of us now

the only other issue after making them untradeable and non pick up items is modding will make selling them 100% pointless

Because like anti subscription people a lot of people want them for free and could easily just got to a modded server with some friends like on MC and do that as much as they please for free.

in that case a cash shop will more and likely make the main servers bairn or make the shop useless for the most part

1 Like

Indeed. Modding wil most likely be a thing later, and maybe we Will have some pretty cool iems om the modding worlds, however they Will be disconnected from the main game, so it doesnt really matter what they make om the modded servers for those of us who are only going to play on the main server anyways :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yea but if say you want to play and build and pets are important to you then more and like likely you will just player on the modded servers then on the main unless the main one allows pets as part of it.

Like if your an old MC player jumping to different modded servers will just be normal and if Oort has it then id dont see why it wouldn’t take off if they do a good job at it.

Main point is it will be a fantastic an easy if the rented servers can fund everything if not you have issues all around lol

because if thous people go to modded servers that’s less population on the main servers which means less money going to the cash shops so would it even be something worth dealing with is what I was trying to get at. Where as if you could just do dying and pets on the main server without paying it would make it better if players when too the main servers.

Yup both their drinking/eating games and their haloween transformations is a lot of fun.

About people playing on modded servers instead, that would actually mean that there would be an income from people playing for servers which would mean that there would be an income from both groups.

That would indeed be ideal. but remember that modded servers have been told they were disconnected from the real game. pretty sure that also means if you go from 1 modded server to another you need to make an entirely new char everytime, also we dunno how the hosting will work yet. but if you can only make new servers by hosting from wonderstruck’s, then that would indeed make a bit of cash, in an ideal world that should be enough to keep the game running. but sadly people wants everything for free, so i dont know how many will actually pay for it. so those who think subscription is the savior. you can just rent servers to your hearts extend :smiley:

1 Like

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but here’s a random thought:

Would “block packs” be a bad idea? Something like:

• $1 for a chest full of Stone Bricks
  • $5 for a chest full of every color gleam

Sorry, I know this resembles P2W a bit, just curious if there’s some kind of opportunity for buying materials. Probably not.
Still totally in favor of a pay-to-skin model; maybe there are also premium decorations that could be purchased? A statue of your character model (done with a stone texture of course)?

Things I’d like to see in pay-to-skin:

Weapons

• Premium weapon sets with cool themes
  • Referential skins; things like keyblades, gunblades, laser swords, etc (not actually those things, just similar things)

Armor

• Premium armor sets with cool themes
  • Capes
  • Referential skins

Decorations

• Player statues
  • Other statues
  • Premium decoration sets with cool themes
  • Rugs
  • Wall hangings
  • Paintings??
  • Flags for the top of castle turrets
  • Different lamp styles
  • Premium props like fancy plates and mugs and stuff
  • Premium decals?? Kinda like stickers??? I don’t know

Okay I’m sick today I can’t think.

1 Like

I think if it’s just building blocks it should be fine. Like “buy 100 wood” etc

I am for timing out the beacons to prevent ghost-worlds that sit empty and full of unfinished projects. However, I would be OK with players paying to maintain beacons for longer than normal periods without being active.

It could actually be helpful as life is full of periods where we just can’t play for extended periods and wish to maintain all our holdings.

4 Likes