Long term game funding

Yes, I think that long term unability to play may be a problem for some people and paying a fee so that they stey longer then 1-2 month inactivity … That also would help people which do work-and-travel (I have about 5 Friends who were just gone 6 Month into nowhere to experience the life :wink: )

1 Like

Well… Not a builder, but wouldnt that kinda remove the honor of the building? like if you can buy rare blocks that looks neat people will be like ‘‘eh’’ but if you actually have to find it and somebody maybe have 10 of them in his build people will be impressed. ofc the building itself will be main focus, but i dont know. it just seems like pay to skip. which is also pretty bad.

4 Likes

Well its a bit of a tricky subject since everybody have an opinion. Now. all opinions are valid and cannot be wrong to a certain degree because they are opinions, however it is kinda important to distinguish between informed opinions and ignorant opinions.

An ignorant opinion (i know some of you feel this way. sorry to offend you) are the people who says ‘‘the game should not have a cash shop. everything should be given to me for free and if they in any way try to make money it is just because they are milking the consumers together with other cooperations’’ (sadly i have heard this before) an ignorant opinion is not that you disagree with the marketing, however it is if you blindly ignore fact and cannot argue for your point of view.
The same goes to the other end of the spectrum too, those who deny that a team can do anything wrong, if they forexample added an energy system or p2w just to get money and a person went ‘‘this is fine, the team should do whatever they want, you just dont understand how harsh it is for a dev team nowadays’’

an informed opinion is looking at it objectively, in this case with cash shop it is saying ‘‘game developement is not free, and rental servers might not be enough money to keep the game up and running, hence a cashshop is alright so they can keep up. as long as they do not make it p2w’’ (damn i always sound like a prick when i write this, apologies)

So i think the important thing is not denying their need for money but instead trying to figure out the best and least intrusive way of doing it. cash shops mainly depend on value vs payment for items. fx i really want a dye system. love customization

https://forum.oortonline.com/t/dye-system-idea-for-oort/159

this could be a way of money. lets say that when you unlock a dye you can use it forever, in the cashshop i might pay 10 euro to get 1000 gems, if you can buy a permanent dye for 50 gems or 100 gems i think it would be good, however if i had to pay 500 gems it would be too much and people would be outraged.

so in the end its not really about what they do, but rather how they do it.

1 Like

True words. I cannot add a single thought or idea to it. If every developer would think that way pay to win never had became such a bad topic in the game scene. Sad to see that some think that reduces need of money is more important then the needs of the players and their welfare.

To be fair… people in here keep talking like the player matters, And i think some devs truly truly cares about that. however publishers who are the ones who need to make money doesnt care about the player.

a butcher doesnt care about a pigs feelings, only the meat it can provide. i know this is a sad way of looking at it, but eventually we are just consumers, a way of making money.

1 Like

I think selling individual block textures would be great. Since I miss the old timber textures (where they looked more like planks than tiles right now), I’d like to have those back for building purposes. They can even sell them in packs too.

example:

1$ for 1 block texture

5$ for 7 block textures

10$ for 15

25$ for a whole set of one textured style

the option to craft it in that style will simply just appear as an extra option / or underneath the styles window

nahhh pls not. Thats the reason why i quit Creativerse.

I guess I should post this here for posterity!

https://forum.oortonline.com/t/will-oort-be-pay-to-win/1960/15?u=ben

hashtag roaringlight

2 Likes

people keep saying texture packs or block textures, but is that even possible? can you have a block seem like 1 thing to 1 person and another thing for another person? that doesnt sound right in my ears since its an mmo, but i might be wrong.

I don’t mean for it to be a personal texture. The block is seen by everyone but only you can craft it if you bought that texture. not sure how it would work in terms of trading the block ingame but it’s something to help fund the game atleast.

Whoops, didn’t know @TheGameChicken had a similar idea in the other thread :x

If it would be tradable after crafting the new block it will effect the economy drastically and would lead to a win for the guy who bought the skin -> P2W

1 Like

please tell me you are joking…

i can kinda understand what you are saying, but come on mate…do you seriously think that is p2w? xD.

this is another thing about a cashshop though, if the items you buy should be tradeable.

Sorry. that would be illogical. that would force people to buy a recipe before they can buy stuff from others, if it is a skin it could actually be quite good for the economy, its not like he gets the block for free, still needs to get mats. so if things like this was planned i think you should allow them to be tradeable.

I think this could work but it would need to be restricted to the basic ressource like stone and dirt, as those can get really grindy to collect

1 Like

That should work okay as long as its base items it would work fine. Players that didn’t want to harvest a lot of materials for there build could just buy them and since there a base items and can be found in-game the sell price wouldn’t go up id hope lol

things like shards shouldn’t be bought thou

Also boosts for beacons might be something to look into XD

So like faster grow times and all that it wouldn’t effect much some people might feel cheated but it wouldn’t hurt them any

1 Like

ehh… this is defined as pay to skip i think, which have a habit of annoying people too. i dont think you should be able to boost ingame time sinks by using money, but that might just be me.

2 Likes

I thought building or any art form was less on how you got your materials but instead how you used them

If this was the case wouldn’t Infinity mode be bad and make building less fun and meaningful?

Never said skip just some kind of beacon boost I dont think it would be a huge deal seeing as it wouldn’t bring any new or fancier items to the game so it wouldn’t effect the market and all that, but it could still be a nice thing to buy in the shop. It also wouldn’t be anything that other players couldn’t get by themselves

The devs could make a few different types of beacons boosts and maybe you have to buy them for each beacon and if you combined your beacon with someone else that has it you get the boost too thus encouraging players to pay for. It also could be something some guilds offer that others dont

A grow speedup is pay to win, even not a that harsh one. I still don’t want to have such ways for cash. To keep or enlarge maxed single beacons a cash shop item may be OK as long the normal maxed beacons are also impressive for themself.

2 Likes

I also think that speeding up certain processes inside the beacon would be p2w.
But what IF there is going to be a limit on the maximal number of beacons per account and you could increase that number for real money?

2 Likes

As long as we still can have enough without paying that would be a great idea. I think of one mega beacon and two small ones (for outposts/expansions) per world without paying should be given but for more a small fee might be a good investment for some players.

1 Like