Long term game funding

Just had an idea which Guild Wars 1 also realised: additional ingame music packs. What’s about having more ingame music tracks to be added later after release which come in packs for some bucks? GW had suh a pack after releasing a big summer update after release. There you could pay about 10$ and got over ten new tracks that then were played next to the original bgm tracks. I loved those new tracks and think that Oort may use such addons too :smiley:

That also gives me another idea for the game, but I will post that one later when I have some time again :wink:

2 Likes

I dont know how this would translate and i know wonderstruck is teeny tiny compared to blizzard, but he we go

I remember back in the day blizzard made world of warcraft cards, the original hearthstone so to say, the cards didnt sell a whole lot, however they did still sell, for one reason, in the cards you had a tiny chance of getting an extremely rare mount in wow, some of the mount go for around 2000 dollars today, I would love to see something like this, some kind of merchandise that you can enjoy just for having it, but maybe one out of every 1000 of them would be especially rare and give an ingame item that you can only get that way.

Another thing would be posters, i love posters, and i think you should sell normal posters and then special posters to maybe 3 or 4 times the price which is the normal posters just with all the devs signatures on, i would love to have a developer signed poster, maybe even some limited edition posters of character art with only 100 made that would make the founders with the money feel special?

those are my 2 ideas for now

I only purchased yesterday, so I don’t know a lot about the mechanics of it all, but I would suggest additional beacons be allowed to be purchased. This would be available beyond 1 or 2 or whatever the devs would consider fair. BTW I have been following the game for a while, I decided to purchase when I saw that character models were close. I never have payed for early access before, but this is a world that I definitely see can be my home for a long time.

8 Likes

Welcome dude. this is part of a cash shop discussion though, and if they add a limitation on beacons then it is to stop people just beaconing everything, being able to buy it using real life money might make alot of people angry :smile:

Welcome @paradox3000! Great to have you here.

2 Likes

I have been a big supporter of Oort, so it won’t come as a surprise that I am always interested to see that the business is sustaining. I am glad to hear the team is on solid footing. They are such a passionate lot, I cannot imagine anything but success.

5 Likes

Look at this smexy beast

@ben seems familliar? joking aside i wanted to ask, why cant we buy that damn poster xD

2 Likes

You can buy that poster and my jumper. $300 each.

5 Likes

Be careful, there might be someone who buys both^^

Sweet to see the Lego box in the background … I also love to take those tiny (unbelievable painful if you step on them) stones into my hands now and then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Are there any plans for long term gamefunding after the sony funding out there?

Yes, the long term funding comes from private server rental.

I am still wondering why someone should rent a private server. Ofc 1 point is that you can plan portals to a location with a big amount of people pretty nice with a private server. But wasnt a good point ‘player run cities’? And why should I visit them if they are not run on public world?
Private Servers seem to be a ‘nice to have’ with some negative behavior. Thats why I thought this won’t support Long Term Gamefunding.
Am I false with this feeling?

Private server means privately run but for the most part still connected to the Boundless universe.

It just gives players a way to maximize the customization of their play setting and more control over what happens there. It’s a nice way for guilds or large groups to not have to deal with competition for locales and resources.

1 Like

Public servers will be crowded with intense competition for resources. Example, people will likely be tracking the spawn time of Titans. So the trade off would be that for a fee you could have easy access to one.

Same goes for plots of land. Most of the land on public servers will likely be beacon-ed. So if you want a continuous track to build on you will likely turn to a private server, or the third option.

With rental cost for private servers. The business opportunity arises to resale part of the rental wold for money, and if you have a desirable world to live in because of say better terrain, or better buildings, then you might be able to turn a profit on the server rental.

If you are really curios about it. Do a little reading on the Second Life economy. It is the closest reference to what they are going for.

2 Likes

I also think that, as you already said, the main reasons for renting a server will be the option to only play together with selected player and the ability to design the landscape yourself. However I don´t think that overpopulated public servers or getting “your piece of titan” will be a problem at any stage of the game.

The idea of renting a world and re-renting space on it is quite interesting though,

1 Like

This brings up an interesting point.

I think the reason people say I want to play with just my friends is because minecrafts lack of any form of community management. When the tools they are building for this game, after people try it both ways they are not going to want to play away from the community, or the vanilla MMO. If you read into some of the subtle cues in @ben post. It appears they intend to ensure the people have a positive experience in the MMO, and will desire to play with the larger community rather than elect to shard, or isolate themselves.

1 Like

That´s true but i can imagine that big guilds (>30 players) may prefer to play on their own world to avoid any disturbance during guild activities.
PvP could be another major factor for server renting. If the PvP is implemented like in Rust,Arc etc. (just with the addition of beacons) it could heavily encourage not-PvP oriented players to rent their own server.

1 Like

Based on what the Devs said about PvP I really doubt that they will implement PvP like that at all.

2 Likes