Modular Creature Statues - what materials do you think they should require?

None of the creature drops are color-specific. They are just item-specific. It would require more time/coding to add another identifier to the drops and tie it to an item that might be crafted.

I get that a lot of people want more rare items. Seems like this one is going to be for fun/decor/trading and I believe it’s been in the works for quite awhile.

4 Likes

You can tell I don’t go hunting very often :joy:

I guess it would make sense to use the sacs in that case - as they drop more frequently than trophies still (either that or we petition for cuttle eyes to be introduced for this recipe!)

Edit: I don’t think it would be entirely out of the question to increase the drop rates of certain items to help accommodate whatever these recipes end up using.

1 Like

When was the last time they added a low level builder block? They do rare items frequently with the one time events, or add blocks that require items from exos or seeds from exos, but it has been quite a while since a new low level block was added. If this is not going to be it, then I would prefer they add a new lower level blocks for the builders instead of spending any time on adding these.

1 Like

The reason why I started discussion on these was that I can see them as being relatively easy to implement if there are no additional requirements than what is already in game (basically “a quick win”) :wink:

2 Likes

Wood
Stone
Metal
Gleam
Lucent

I agree that trophies could be part of the recipe (to determine which totem you’ll create). It will make the hopper & roadrunner totems more valuable/rare by default because those trophies are the most sought-after by forgers.

Allowing builders to create blocks out of oorstone didn’t harm the supply of portal fuel. Oorstone is a hunt drop too.

Edit to add: not all creatures drop eyes or sacs (IIRC).
Edit 2.0: all creatures drop milk glands or sacs, so that could be the creature type determiner.

3 Likes

I totally agree it’s been too long since we got anything basic for variety. I’m still holding out hope for “…stones 2” and “…timber 2” and/or 2nd brick types. I just don’t think these special blocks need to be pumped out in such quantities since they will only be decor. We’ll likely usually see them in pairs and on the more pretentious builds anyway.

And above all else it’ll create a brand new bond between end-game hunting and end-game building, which is currently limited to oort blocks.

1 Like

I would agree using the trophies would link the two. I guess if this is to be a quick win, then it needs to be a win for all the players and not just the end game players.

I will disagree with this. I can think of all sorts of ways to use these in builds, but if they are limited then we are stuck with plain old rooms with flat walls and no texture or depth to the builds other than what can be done with chiseling. They do end up being merely trophies to represent something that is already a trophy. There will only be a few in a build which I think is sad and a waste of developer effort. If the entire point is to use the creature drops as trophies then players can just display the drop in their build now on a shop stand. Why do we have to take away something that could be used by a lot of players and force it to be a substitution for something that can already be done in game without any additional developer effort?

2 Likes

I feel you. In my mind everyone was going to use them in the exact way I plan to :sweat_smile:. And to your point, if it’s a regular building block and not the special kind it’ll in fact be the first decor style block.

I’ll stick with my opinion on rarity but would have no issue if it goes the common route.

Maybe the first release could lean plain-tier then they can eventually add stylish with sacs and deco with trophies. Might actually be the most ideal scenario so everyone can enjoy the stone ones and flood the market then can replace them with marble in the future.

1 Like

I’d say probably some refined metal, refined or deco rock, super enriched bonding agent and creature trophy’s would be a good combo. They should be on the slightly more difficult side to make as they are a new addition to the game.

4 Likes

Looking at the images some more, it looks like the intention is to mix and match with them, so there could scope for some of the parts to use a cheaper recipe.

It doesn’t look like all of the parts are in the below image, but the ones in the first post show that they all seem to have at least 3-4 parts each. Maybe the limbs/appendages could be cheaper - or would it make sense to have the central parts be cheaper and the extras cost more?

2 Likes

I think the central parts will be the most commonly used: columns, table legs, etc.

2nd would be the heads and lastly the appendages. Maybe the creation of the 1st/head piece would require a trophy & the other pieces require a sac?

3 Likes

I would like to see them be able to have many different combos. Like using copper with a black refined stone and a red gleam. The 1st item would be the main color, 2nd would be the minor color and the gleam the eyes and other white spots on the 1st examples.

There would be many color variations you could do.

That sounds reasonable, or even doing like

• Base - refined stone, base metal, wax
  • Head - refined stone, base metal, wax, trophy
  • Accessory - refined stone, base metal, wax, sac

Aw… I was hoping they’d come in a set when you craft and then you could mix and match.

https://forum.playboundless.com/t/upcoming-content-bomb/52679

I think we should just consider whether or not these items should be rare. I don’t agree with making them rare just because we want more rare items. In that case the rarity is artificially imposed.

I mean stone columns/sculptures are a pretty basic item in real life. People have been doing them for thousands of years with stone/iron tools. I don’t see a problem with making these blocks accessible to everyone.

We should also just consider the economic impact of making trophies required. This would affect other markets that require trophies. Whether or not players need hundreds of these items - I’m sure someone will open a shop somewhere selling multiples of every color. So there will likely be impact on the trophy market - and associated markets.

I’m in the camp of keeping it simple. Refined stone+wood, and bonding agent. And if we want something with higher rarity then we can go with the plan/stylish/ornate system that’s in place for other items. With ornate versions including gems or trophies.

6 Likes

Totem chisels. Forge effect.

Works like transformation chisels.

Fight me!

(To be clear not a quirk effect)

Easy forge effect so everyone can decorate with it. Let the block be the thing that determines the rarity.

Would transform any non deco rock, wood, gem/lucent and metal block to a totem style of that block. Cycling different totems just as you cycle through LEDs.

2 Likes

I’m down with that… along with any other idea here. As long as it’s a regular building block and not complex or we won’t be able to see them on big builds.

1 Like

All logical points, but I don’t think we need to take economic impact into consideration on this one. This content, like the weapons update, is the kind that will bring a lot of players back temporarily to craft and try all the new stuff before they fizzle out again. Increased demand for trophies will simply lead to immediate increase in price, then more hunts which will be bigger with the player surge, then more supply than ever with a re-stabilized price.

That to me is the big positive point of using trophies. Would be the first time ever that I’d have need for them as a builder.

But I am still close to neutral on this.

1 Like

Please elaborate, I’d like to understand this concept better.

Do you mean instead of crafting a totem block, users would hit existing blocks with a (new?) transformation chisel to create a totem block? Or craft the totem block, then use the chisel to get the desired piece?