Multi-box and Multi-char gameplay

With the posting of this announcement thread and the recent statement regarding botting I’d like to request request clarification on some common techniques used in the game.

Specifically related to use of multiple accounts, and/or multiple characters on the same account.

A player logs into 2 accounts on 2 separate machines and manages 2 characters on a hunt to gather additional loot.

For the devs: Is this an exploit?

A player moves multiple characters (on the same account) to a pre-determined location and then opens a warp to a planet (exo or not) or location.

After traveling through the warp the player quickly logs into the other character and takes a second character through the same (already open) warp.

A player logs into 2 accounts on two different machines. The player moves the two characters to a pre-determined location and then opens a warp to a planet (exo or not) or location.

The player then moves the characters from both accounts through the open warp.

2 players on 2 accounts approach a resource, and one harvests the resource while the other throws regen and heal bombs.

1 player on 2 accounts approaches a resource, and uses a weight/lever/rubberband/hairbrush/autoclicking mouse to harvest the resources while throwing bombs with the other.

For the devs: This one is harder and requires 2 questions

• Complaints of “mah RSI” aside, is this within your definition of botting?

• In line with the previous 2 player example, this can easily be done manually with one hand on each mouse or remapped keyboard. Is this an exploit?

I’m aware that some (most) of this has been discussed before, but as there appear to be an increasing desire to define and crack down on unacceptable behavior, I and probably many others would like some specific clarification on these commonly seen activities.

The scenario regarding multi-box regen farming may seem obvious to some but as many of the rubberband and hairbrush jokes went by with no clarification in the recent threads on botting, I’d just like to specifically ask.

Some people don’t seem to feel that physical/hardware arrangements are technically “botting” so perhaps a scenario-specific answer would help.

For the players: Are there other common uses of multiple characters/accounts I’m missing, and which could stand to be clarified or specifically addressed?

A quick edit for some formatting and I’d also like to add, this isn’t really meant as a demand or a rude thread, I’ve recently purchased a second account due to the amount of multiboxing I’ve seen in game and would hope you can see this as a polite request for some specific clarifications.

7 Likes

this is an interesting question!
because i always hunt with my ps4 char as second looter but they are on the same acc
edit:
dont see my doppel hunt as exploit
i have more to do with a second one and add exakt like the afk hunter more meteors/level to the hunt
what is always nice for all!

1 Like

The only other multi-character use I know of that you don’t have listed is using multiple characters on one account (or multiple accounts) to split up areas (like portal hubs, heavy traffic bases, stores, etc.) to generate increased footfall.

Its wide spread, and I’m fairly certain was previously defined as a “case by case” basis, but generally was not deemed in violation unless it “impeded” traffic? or something like that.

1 Like

Yeah as far as I know James expressed some disappointment in this behavior but there are too many potential reasons for a build to be split up for any action to have been taken.

2 Likes

i started doing this for the last week only since i bought ps4 boundless, using 2 accounts let my bro play on my ps4
and i will play on pc and he helps me, for me this is not something that can be seen as modding nor can this be stopped.

1 Like

There are complaints about this, so I’m asking.

If you don’t stop everything you’re doing and have a conversation with every person that decides to interrupt you, you might still find yourself being reported for botting.

Also some players see this as a valid reason to step in and take your loot as “if you weren’t botting you would notice”.

4 Likes

What about using a clicker on your mouse to quickly mass craft rock and such?
Or an auto swiming trigger? you press the button and it keeps you swiming.

1 Like

I missed the authoritarian response. That’s crazy

1 Like

botting i see if you are afk and not behind your pc/ps4 to reply to messages or developers, i think if they want to stop botting they need to go in game and pick out those that are ‘‘farming’’ and if they don’t reply to disconnect those. if they really want to stop it they have to take in game action themself

2 Likes

Not really a multiboxing issue but this and block changing are two of the biggest (legitimate) QoL issues I see keeping that argument for scripting tools alive.

1 Like

No one should have to respond to anyone if they don’t feel like it. If it’s a dev and they have a prompt that bounces up requiring a person to click a checkbox to show they are active, then I could see that being a work around, but people demanding a reply are some entitled people as far as I’m concerned.

Who are they? Boundless Police? A bit absurd honestly.

9 Likes

Also ps4 players seem to have a hard time answering fast enough.

8 Likes

i use auto clickers to mass craft i don’t lie about that , i even posted a video of this and i myself don’t see the harm in this , and also this cannot be stopped unless they put a timer limit on the actions per second, and wil that be loved by the players, i doubt

1 Like

In the weeks since the last steam half off sale this has happened to me more frequently as I’m sometimes out with 2 characters.

Some of them don’t even try to start conversations they just walk up in between you and what you’re harvesting, and see if you stop.

1 Like

Those are the types of people I would equate to the nosy neighbor across the street who calls animal control or the city if they think they can hem someone up on some obscure silliness that not even officials are aware of.

Far too much time on their hands. They shouldn’t even be alllowed to file a report if it’s proven they’re just flagging everyone. A bit how the forums work right? If posters abuse the flag function, over time their ability to do so fraudulently carries less weight. Perhaps there should be something like that in game if ‘people reporting’ is to become a thing.

1 Like

to be honest this issue is easy resolved @james and i have said it before, have a message pop in screen once in a while to verify that its a human behind it either for pc with entering a digit code and for ps4 players pressing a random button, pressing the wrong button withing a given time or entering the wrong code will disconnect you

1 Like

Maybe the devs could add a feature to machines would remove the need for this? Like a text box you type in how many mass crafts you want or a max craft button

4 Likes

yep it would if your a multi mass crafter or have rheumatic problems.
pressing that darn button will eventually hurt you in the long run
id love to see this being worked on

haha yes. Dont try to stop people from being creative because they’ll just find new ways. Find ways to get rid of the reason they are doing it in the first place. As far as I am concerned that should be a key tenant of any software developer.

1 Like

Yes, having to type 30 and press enter is so much faster! /s

Especially when you mainly play with a controller…

1 Like