My color storage build, a journey

Part 13

Today’s journal begins with a sad sad tale. For some odd reasaon, my Steam really messed up yesterday. Somehow all of my games were lost. I had to reinstall Steam and Boundless, which means all of my carefully planned future journals and screenshots for them, were lost. I also lost all the screenshots from other games but I rarely play anything else, so not as big of a loss. However, I do have an update today!!

Disclaimer: This update will be long and screenshot heavy.

I have, long since, decided that my storage would be arranged by shade. I used this handy dandy chart that I found somewhere…

So, it starts with greyscale and will end with lavender.

I have made a TON of progress on the storage/Naecessities. When last I updated you, I just barely made it past the halfway point.

Right there. Now, I am almost finished with the building of the actual units.

I have even managed to make it all the way up to…

…cold tan when emptying my huge reclaim. So, I am past the halfway point there as well. If working on this has resulted in nothing else, it has shown me how much more there is to do. Can you even call yourself a Boundless player if you don’t own one of everything in every color? :smiley:

I have also had time to add some quality of life improvements, for when people shop. Which includes portals to the end of rows. No speed brews needed here!!

And even some decoration…

When putting together this half…I often found myself thinking of food…

Mmmmm…corn on the cob…

And this color reminded me of a nice pumpkin pie…

And THIS color…

…reminds me of what happens when I try to make a pumpkin pie. :smiley:

For now, though, construction has come to a screeching halt. I have run out of money and need to focus on some mining in order to sell the stuff that comes with it to fund the rest. There are only 3 colors left: violet, lilac and lavender. I am excited to finally get it finished!! Perhaps, when it is done, I will do a video tour.

To be continued…

21 Likes

Omg Steam! That is unacceptable :open_mouth:

:joy:

This have always been my favourite colour chart for Boundless. My old colour storage on Boori was based on it. And I use this order of colours when I organize my small storages, like my pigments for example.

3 Likes

I used to have a color storage before my break. I’m not looking forward to redoing it but one way or another, imma get it done.

10 Likes

I use the same color chart you have to organize my gleam, grass and glass lol

2 Likes

I’m so interested in seeing these types of builds because it’s something I always wanted to do but never had the energy. Someday I’m sure I’ll figure out how I want to store colored things. I guess I’ll need to find a planet with some space to build on whenever I come back, as I don’t really need to stay on Beckon anymore.

4 Likes

There is a plethora of planets these days. I know I own (rent) 4. I don’t even WANT to know how many a few people have.

4 Likes

Part 14

Do you know what this is?

Screenshot 2022-10-03 093006

It is the last peice of material for last color coded unit that needs to be placed!! I finally did it!! Of course, I am not done yet. There is still chiseling to do and I need to decide what I want to do with the ceilings but at least the units themselves are done.

The area is really quite large…so I added some signage, to help people find their way around.

And some shop stands for the misc items that can’t be catagorized by color. Like all those gems and extra ores that sell out so fast.

…I still need to paint those. Better put that on my mental to do list. -Immediately forgets-

I have also managed to get all of the bricks from Basically Bricks moved to Naeccessities.

I always wondered how many I actually had in there…

…the answer is too many. Yall need to start buying!! Especially since I am adding more so often!!

I do have a little more marble to put out in that last row but there is a TON available. Though, I have found a downside to arranging things like this…I find that I now would like the shop stands in every room to have marble. That means chiseling. -shudders- I am quite sure I will get over that whole thing very quickly.

Pretty sure this white has been here since I got my planet…

For now…the units as shops will, eventually, look like this…

Over all, I am pretty happy with how it all turned out. Even though I had 8 extra units…since I can’t math. They will be put to good use for something I am sure. I have lots of room for growth…as long as I don’t try to fit any more into the actual units.

I think that is all I have to report.

See yall around!!

To be continued…

15 Likes

better more than less :laughing: :thinking:

1 Like

You are not wrong. Especially when I use as much ash, clay, and mud as I do. Look, only 5 extra rooms now. :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice. I’ll have to come buy some brick soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me know how you like the place! It is a lot bigger than my old shops.

Part 15

Well, I am slowly adding more and more items. Have seen a few visitors which makes me very happy. Everyone seems to really like it so far.

I finally decided on what to do with the ceilings…

…and I said it again…“wonder how this will look” aaaand it ended with adding a little embellishment to the doorways. This, of course, means more chiseling.

I also opened my portal room for public use. Just in case anyone wants a portal to my epicness.

This one is a little shorter, since I am sure you don’t want to hear about my mining. I did a TON of it to restock marbles and make more conduit and to have a few things to sell. Now that the project is almost done…minus allllll the chiseling…I am not sure how often I will post. Perhaps yall could give me ideas for the things you liked about it so far?

For now however…

To be continued…?

15 Likes

Hello! Me and my wife were one of the happy visitors yesterday and thank you again for helping us locate the blocks that we need. :blush:

If you were looking for something to do :sweat_smile:, as someone not so familiar with the colors to efficiently navigate the layout, it would be better to kind of read the signs on the room perpendicular to the hallway. This way I won’t have to look left and right each row of room.

Anyway, the place is great and really useful most of all when you plan on building on a specific color and need block variation because it’s all in the same room. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was my pleasure!! I am glad you like it!!

As to the signage, I knew it was going to be a small problem but putting signs out in the hall was something that I really didn’t like. I will keep thinking about a way that I might be able to figure it out.

1 Like

Probably as a workaround, there could be a map at the portal hub (lobby?). I don’t know if this is possible in signs with some lines, dashes, etc. something like those emergency exit map thing. Just my idea. :smile:

1 Like

Well, I do have signs at the end of every row that tells what colors are in the row. Not a map, persay, but guidance none the less. The problem with putting the signs as you suggest is that signs are only one sided. So, in order to see them from both directions I would need 2 signs for each color and that just starts to look overcrowded. I will keep thinking about it though. Perhaps some clever chiseling could make it a little easier.

7 Likes

Ohh right I think those would work… for normal players. Unlike me, as I know you will remember, was looking for a non-existing color because I misremembered the one I was looking for so I was running around like a headless chicken. I guess that was my issue hahaha! Yep, this should do the job.

1 Like

Ready to make me one when you finish yours lol joking joking your Color storage looking beautiful. Boop!

1 Like

Thank you Cookie!! :cookie:

1 Like

that ceiling looks fantastic, the whole build is gorgeous.

1 Like