New players: do you think you would have had a better experience starting near active players?

Yeah I was wondering if this has happened to people.

Maybe no matter where you pick on the map as a noob it should put you at the closest UNCLAIMED plot?

Also the default run speed is WAY too slow.

1 Like

Come check out the 1st build there we did last night! Showing off some awesome mechanics with placeable liquid!

1 Like

Totally, totally agreed as well - throw in my vote too here. :slight_smile: Might also be good to make the T0/dedicated newcomer planet blocks a bit weaker for those who want to go a little quicker.

I see it as a win-win - could still opt to start on a T1 or T2… perhaps even, for the first 5 levels or so, have a “New Start Location” warp option in Sanctum that would choose a low plot density area on another T0-T2 (choose tier, some might want to start on a hostile then regret it, for example). I think of my own experience starting a bit after launch on Alder - it could have gone VERY differently now, depending on the area I happened to hit with a warp. Starting right off, a person might think, hey, maybe I should aim right at that big city there, or like in one review just happen to hit an area that is thoroughly plotted, leading to frustration.

4 Likes

If there is one thing that pisses me off to no end, is seeing someone play the game for less than 24 hours and then give it a negative review.
That’s not long enough to truly experience the game.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m against giving gem tools to newbies. On a tier 1 planet, it’s also a waste, as titanium will do it all.
The only exception is a gem grapple. First time I got a diamond grapple with a 30m range, I was in love.

2 Likes

How long do they have to play a game to decide if it is right for them or not? If a player has maybe 10 hours a week to play games, due to work, family, school or other obligations. . what is a realistic amount of time for them to play and decide if they like a game or not? 24 hours would be two and a half weeks of all their game time. If they are not engaged at that point, is it a problem with the game or the player?

I will agree that I have a problem with players that relay incorrect information as the basis of their review, but if it comes down to the game is not right for a player unwilling to spend 4 hours a day playing then maybe that does need to be communicated to potential players in some manner.

1 Like

The in-game Knowledge tab gives a ton of information about blocks and items at least. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can see all the 'My City Must Be The Biggest" types signing up to be guides and ‘helping’ the new players by showing them ‘where to build.’ It is a good idea though and I have seen it in other games. It can be helpful.

1 Like

The problem is the way reviews are written. People saying the game is garbage just cause they couldn’t get diamond hammers in the 20 minutes they spent on it is dumb.

It’s like watching the first two minutes of a movie and saying it’s trash.

And since most people don’t know how to write a proper review it would be fair to give less weight to review from people with less than a couple hours of game play or at least show a big warning saying “this player just tried the game for 20 minutes”

1 Like

I agree it’s frustrating.

But instead of blaming the users, who we can’t change, let’s find another solution.

Maybe we can make that first 24 hours better. That seems more achievable.

3 Likes

I agree with this. And maybe some players handing out AOE hammers makes players think they need these to play.

I also agree with this

I know I always look at how long someone played a game. If someone played less than an hour then I would argue the review should not even be posted on steam, but that is just me. But if someone has played a game for more than 10 hours, I might be at least willing to see what they did and did not like. And someone that has played 2000 hours before writing a review has a very different perspective from a new player.

1 Like

But better for who? There is no way to make it better for everyone.
I agree that there is a lot of room for improvement on the first stages but reviews also need a way to help users detect reviews with actual feedback and not just some random rants.

I looked hard and couldn’t find anyone saying things like this. Can you send one?

I think the way Steam shows hours played and number of thumbs up and other games owned gives people a pretty good idea. People are dumb in general, but probably most are smart enough to know the difference between a 0.7 hour review and a 2000 hour review.

You kind of DO need AoE tools to play, though, by design. You get up to 9x the “stuff” in the same amount of time. Personally I think this should be rebalanced somehow. I wouldn’t nerf AoE, but perhaps instead buff the speed and damage of unforged tools a bit. I’m sure someone contrary will chime in how you don’t need them, but come on. You do need them. Pricing is all based on people using AoE tools and mass crafting, not to mention coils and guild buffs. Endgame players should be OP, but new players shouldn’t be THAT worthless in comparison.

On that note, I think the portal skill, the warp distance skill and the mass craft skill should be removed from the tree and be available to everyone “for free”

4 Likes

I do not disagree. . the fact that AOE tools are so much more powerful is the reason everyone wants to use them all the time. That is great for the players who forge. This is one reason I wish we had the plain old diamond non-forged aoe tools from EA.

If the game is that grindy that you need aoe tools even as a new players then maybe there is something wrong with the drop rate or maybe all gem tools should be AOE without the additional buffs.

2 Likes

I still use tools that aren’t AOE sometimes (used one in my last video too). It depends on what you want them for.

People play the game differently and enjoy different things. Some players don’t want a hand out and want to experience the game for themselves. There have been a few that bluntly told me this, and respectfully declined my offer of a grapple, etc. I totally understand that. That’s exactly how I started. Out in the middle of nowhere, away from everyone else - so I could do what I wanted to, how I wanted to, at my own speed…and I fell in love with the game. Most will seek out places to buy/sell things eventually, some will walk right up to you and ask for help, and some welcome any help/items/tips that you can provide.

Some players appreciate a good challenge - not everyone wants everything handed to them. I am def one of those players.

In 2020, most people can easily spot a “bad” review and will ignore it (just like on Amazon, Ebay, etc). I’ve seen some ridiculous one word reviews that just look like someone used an alt account - you only have to have the game on for 5 minutes to leave one.

2 Likes

I don’t think newbies need AOE unless some one gift them AOE tools.

I’m sure that basic tools with speed or extra str can do wonders for them until they are ready to be part of the economy in a bigger scale.

When I started I didn’t knew what the hell AOE meant I just used copper tools and quickly moved to titanium which were a huge improvement in strength and speed.

Later on I finally found some cheap cross tools and they were magnificent for me lol.

2 Likes

Need. . no. . but grind along getting one block every few hits until they level enough to finally get one block per hit and still two on resources and then grind some more to get one hit on resources also, while other players are one hitting 9 blocks at the same time? I know most players will not agree with me, but when you constantly read that all new players need to do is spend 10k in coin and they can earn 100k mining or just how wonderful an AOE tool is and they are still using copper it is no wonder players leave comments the game is a grind.

2 Likes

Well I agree with that. That’s why I said that as long as no one introduce them to gem AOE tools they won’t need them.

Also that’s why I feel like we need to try to not interfere a lot with them we just ruin the experience.

They need a space to “grow up”.

I’ve been thinking that new players should have their own economy for metal tools and basic resources. But since most of our players are already on the top it’s going to be hard to achieve that.

1 Like

Well if they read the forums or discord then they are going to find out pretty quickly.

3 Likes

That kinda depends, if it’s not your cup of tea you can know that way sooner than 24 hours and then give it a negative review.

What I dislike tho is negative reviews with reasons that are simply not true or that could have been avoided in some way…

3 Likes