New players: do you think you would have had a better experience starting near active players?

Of those 3 review, 2 are rather old…

And no idea who Stunner is, but how many people do we know who is active on a T3 planet connecting settlements?

And why was it flagged?

2 Likes

I’d guess because it named a player? I can’t see if it was flagged for being inappropriate or off-topic though :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

It was flagged Inappropriate, fair nuff

I was more curious who the guy is than anything. I’ve never heard of him.

1 Like

That doesn’t really make sense to me but ok. Personally I was mad when I learned AoE was a thing and nobody told me.

Shouldn’t this be their choice in any case? Personally I like introducing AoE to noobs early. Others feel differently. Both are reasonable and valid points of view.

2 Likes

Yes but If you just give them the tools and they can’t find a way to get them by their own again they will feel like its an impoissible grind.

Edit.
AoE tools are great! but only once you can get them every time you need them. If you get one and then you are forced to play with single hit iron or titanium It wont be a great experience.

I had a different reaction when I found out. I was excited :open_mouth::star_struck::star_struck: and like “whoa”…how/where do I get one? Then I worked my bootay off gaining coin until I could buy one. My next goal was to make/buy/set-up my machines and coils so I could make my own.

Forged tools are way cheaper now than when the game started…much easier to find/buy/make now too imo.

2 Likes

I think thats just because the game is indeed super grindy. I think we can all agree to that pretty much.

As a builder I think it should be less grindy. This would give people more reasons to stay in the regular universe when creative eventually launches.

I don’t think we should eliminate all grind. A little grind is good. But some parts of the grind are absurd. This isn’t just talking about AoE either. There are lots of grindwalls.

Im sure this will solve a lot of problems!

All games have grind. It’s in their nature. You do something a bunch of times and that’s the gameplay. Look at Diablo - total treadmill. Play the same content over and over and over with just enough variation and forms of advancement that people love it.

As for AoE tools… for my first 20hours or so I had no idea they existed but I knew there were lots of upgrades above my stone tools and that I’d get there eventually. Somebody did end up giving me an AoE Titanium hammer and I was in love. That being said, I never felt like I “needed” it. It quickly wore out and I went back to regular hammers. Yes, that was a bit painful going back, but now I had a goal.

The game obviously intends you to partake in the economy. As soon as I learned how that works (thanks to another player showing me DK Mall) I had no problems. You can buy Titanium hammers for 299c.

I just played the game. Sold my ores. Did some meteors and sold the Oort. Sold everything I got and bought better hammers and grapples. As I got better stuff I could get more ores quicker - and in doing so I leveled up and got more skills - which got me more ores and coin.

Now I’m level 56 and buyout stacks of AoE Diamond hammers on the regular. Sometimes I still use non AoE because I feel like. Honestly, I almost feel like it was too easy, but I’m in no way turned off from the game. There’s still so much to see and do, and I can do it at my own pace and whenever I want.

Yes, I’m trying to build a big base and I want to match colors and have higher prestige… and I have to grind, buy, travel, work and explore to get the stuff I need and to me that’s the point.

I built my base with whatever blocks I had. Now I’m slowly replacing as I get better stuff. When my build looks exactly how I want it people will look and know a lot of effort went into it. That’s “end game” IMHO.

10 Likes

Wow that’s really good, you leveled quite quickly. I remember your first post on the forums.

3 Likes

I know, right? sniffle they grow up so fast

4 Likes

Heh, thanks! Like I said, it really wasn’t hard. I also have a level 22 alt. I do use Teaching Pies often, but sometimes I use persisting to make my hammers last longer. When everything you do gives EXP you level up really quickly by just playing the game. Skills matter much more than the tools. It’s crazy how the game changes as you get more skills.

As for AoE I tend to make tunnels with the AoE and then go back with a regular and mine the visible ores out. Saves durability on the AoEs. Also, Emerald Grapple with Forging and max Grapple Mastery is INSANE :crazy_face:

Off topic: I noticed you updated the sign on our store. Thanks :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Is yours the one named “T1 resource farm”? Lol

I am divided on this.

Mainly as a day or two after PlayStation release i saw a livestream on the tube :wink: and i was hooked after 5 min.

The thing is i knew “most” of the stuff that where possible back then as most of that information was explained in just 5 min.
Didn’t care about minor details like leveling up or the multitude of colors.

All i heard was “crossplay, owning land, multiple worlds, not solo, no additional server cost and it was building like Minecraft”.

I am a massive builder and like to build big. So I started out alone and after a month or two got some neighbors. Eventually I decided to tear it down as all but one disappeared and the one left had plotted terrible couldn’t expend like i wanted.

Had a build on antarVI in the middle of a lake teared that down as it was to far away from PS and to small. And eventually became viceroy of Antar for a long time.
(Guess what teared that city down to)

Im now building my new city on Lamblis and even tough Compactness was a small problem for me its going forward at a good paste.

That said i might have gotten a few tools here and there and to be fair not everyone had the tools to give away but the few i got where actually hindering. As going back from gem to iron made the iron tool way to slow.

It might be good if a “Newbie” could spawn on “experienced” players but it would also effect how fast they are going. Most of us started slow to and didn’t leap entire steps forward.
But also as the frequently repeated questions pop up in chat i notice that not all information is clearly explained in the beginning.
Its almost annoying to see how many times “knowledge” will be posted in the chat as useful reference.

There are many points made in this topic and they all have a good point but still. I am divided as i see the good and the bad influence that spawning on “older Oortians” might have.

It might be petty or hindering but if spawning on “elders” where implemented it might be a good idea to implement a “minimaal needed LVL” on certain tools. To avoid the “drag” after the tool breaks. We all know teaching pies will get us fast to the point of skipping that problem.
But this would potentially protect new players from going to fast.
(To this day i still use gem tools only when i need to. Still build with titanium tools).

I do think its a good viable option to think about but also think there has to be put more thought in to it before it should be a viable option.

(Gona stop writing now or this will become a strange un readable post)

Hehe
Gave me a lil chuckle

2 Likes

As i read your reply my first thought was. ??? Where did i type that :joy::rofl::joy:

No lol

Grumpy Little Store

2 Likes

Yeah someone opened a shop and named it “T1 Resource Farm”, but it doesn’t really have anything to do with t1 resource farms haha. They sell gravel and nails and raw diamonds.

I’m not the censorship police or anything but when I find them I’ll at least ask, I’m curious. Is it the Boundless equivalent of clickbait? Is it the Boundless equivalent of “engrish” and they just chose some random words without knowing what they mean?

2 Likes

Well, it just a start point. Players can always walk to other place if they don’t want to build anything close to the start point. It just take like 10 min walk and you leave the civilization.
Base on my experience for playing minecraft server for couple years, you can see some players willing to stay at the start point to build their home, you can also notice some players walk slightly far or even further to build their house. I did host a city in minorengle when we still have good population, base on my observation, what i did just build a road, and people will join and make it to a town or city.

The benefit is it will make game looks very active, and new players can feel this game is very active.
They won’t spawn at at wild spot and keep wondering where is other players. At least with the star point setup, they have choice and chance to meet other players and decide if they want to stay with them or not.

No one is going to force someone to build anything, but I believe some guild will start the new hub close to the starter point, also the tutorial room. The benefit for them is footfall. Nothing wrong about getting footfall by building hub or tutorial building because those benefit new players as well. Its same thing as all the major hub we are using for traveling, and the hub owner get footfall to maintain the portals open.

For the minions to mine or do grunt work, it just one type of business between players and players. It’s not just between new players and experience players. Base on what I know, a lot of experience still hiring the other experience players to build or mine or farm for them. New players are not idiots, they always have right to not doing it if they don’t feel it worth.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of those reviews by people I’ve never heard of :stuck_out_tongue: