Non static ruins and or special event

Ruins are quite nice, but can you have them move around like your other resource regeneration and redistribution?

Could ruins also be a site of greater than normal monster spawns?

If moving ruins doesn’t fit in with the world regeneration design, perhaps it would work as a dimensional rift appearing in random locations on the world (a portal) to an instanced ruin, which could be bigger, and have a greater monster spawn that won’t impact the base world, and perhaps include bigger special rewards buried in or under the ruins.
The portal to instance also enables processing distribution to separate servers.

The special event rift could also go both ways, if you want to allow some monsters to come though to the normal world. Or perhaps members of an alien hostile race? An invasion to some extent, until the portal is defeated and closed.

The portals may or may not show on radar, requiring exploration to find.

Key objectives:
Special blocks non static location
Bigger monster spawn for special event automatically generated
Maybe you could make it possible to summon one of these portals to enable player driven event

Just some thoughts

8 Likes

Take a look here, as this has come up at least once before (in my poor memory) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hold that thought…

11 Likes

I’ve got the feeling that @james is about to make it rain, so to speak.

4 Likes

@james, if this happens you will make me the happiest explorer in the known (Boundless) world/s.

4EVAH

1 Like

I just hope this isn’t leading to a “hold my beer” moment. We’ll know it is if the server goes down suddenly.

3 Likes

Something like this?

All done in the last 24 hours.

9 Likes

The meteorites and portals sound exciting!
If we switch to the testing build is the world the same or none of our builds there?

As a developer you must have debug commands to spawn things like meteorites and monster portals…will you be running into towns shouting “beware the impending Doom! Beware!” And then spawn monster portals in the middle of town? You know, just for fun.

5 Likes

Suuuure it was! :wink:

2 Likes

You’re right. We slept for half the time.

8 Likes