[NOTICE] Exploits and Abuse

for me exploiting means using game bugs for an advantage over other player

since the price for spark was not intended to be that way and was changed quickly it was a bug for me
and an exploit to use it

but maybe I’m biased by wow, there’s a lot of banning for that :+1:

2 Likes

play the game, see the new spark value and go “wow that seems a little high, i can make a lot more coin doing almost nothing compared to what i have done up until this point… maybe i should open a ticket”

Open Ticket → type “hey i noticed the value on the new spark item that was just added to the game seems to be giving a lot of coin for the little amount of work, is this intended?”

Wait for response???

VS

“Wow the spark value seems a little high, i guess ill make buying up all the peat i can…”

2 Likes

No offense meant or anything but that’s not what a bug is.

3 Likes

Uncalled for.

A new feature was added. 20c-30c for a new energy/fuel item isn’t so out of whack that everyone would have automatically known something was wrong. Not everyone sits on millions of coin/coal/fuel/etc or mass-produces things. When it went into effect, some of the devs were still on discord/the forum. It looked like it was changed after several players asked for the minter price to be lowered.

If it were 200c ea, that would have raised a bunch of red flags.

Edit to add: I do not condone using exploits or not reporting them.

8 Likes

How will players know what minter prices are intended after patches?

3 Likes

fo me it was because spark gave you 500% more coin than minting the coal them self or 3x of the normal selling price and a little calculation that it cant be right like my example i already showed with all my workshop gens

2 Likes

Ah ok, that makes sense. Coin ratios of ingredients to product. Dont want to get banned. Think I’ll just toss the minter.

2 Likes

It may have been a 500% increase to coal minter value but it was barely a 40% increase to average spark sale value

2 Likes

Assences are much higher than the source items also.
Oortstone has pretty high mint value and easy to get by just AFK at the hunt with next to none effort.

==> still no clues about which is exploit or not.

2 Likes

Come on your video clearly shows that those people are talking to each other they are not bots. You are just saying nonsense.

I agree that bots and abuse of exploits need to be banned but you are just giving examples that dont have anything to do with this topic.

6 Likes

Ah well this one actually counts as an exploit!

It was reported and corrected, I dont know if people abusing it was banned or not but they should have had some sort of penalty

1 Like

compact hardcoal is around 150c is give 15000 spark = 15 spark items x 38~(fullpowerminter) = 570c:150 =3.8 so more 4x normal selling price

1 Like

That’s a fair point. You’d know those numbers better than me

1 Like

I hope that we get some clarifications of these exploits and abuses games.

For example something like fooling path finding of mobs / killing them so that they can’t ever reach you is allowed in Boundless but some games it will lead to ban.

If I am building lava traps for farming mobs I see it as using system creative way but it still feels that it is on gray area of game.

3 Likes

Yeah, I asked the question because I think the spark-chrysominter thing being an exploit can’t be obvious to everybody.
In any case, devs (not Wonderstruck, devs in general) easily blame the players for not getting what is and isn’t supposed to be working as intended, and there is a lot of bans going around in various games.

And honestly, I would’ve used this opportunity to make some coinage myself, but I was too late to the party.
For my defense, I’m always dirt poor, so if I hear there’s a way to make some heavy coinage, I’ll say “I’m in!”.

But from the way I understand what happened, this was no bug, not in any way, shape or form.
The spark cost thing, I would guess that was just one number, the coin-value of 1 spark unit, which was wrongly set too high.
The game processed that information as it should.

To me, the difference with a bug would be that in both cases, there’s likely human error involved, but it would occur at a different level of depth in the rabbit-hole of code, and it would take a freaking long time to dig your way through that.

That’s why when I was codding a level in the Unreal Engine 4 or some other game-engine, and I tested it, if something went wrong, usually I was like “ooooh, uuuuh… mah bad!” because I immediately knew where I goofed in the code, so I would not be like “oh, it’s bugged!”.

What I’m saying is that, at least from my point of view, in most cases, when you’re calling something a bug, it’s like medieval people calling everything magic. But actually, once you know what happened, it’s not magic anymore. It’s science, chemistry, skill, etc… or in this case ‘coding done wrong’.

The bug is a lie.

9 Likes

I don’t see anything asking (maybe because the answer is obvious), so… Are things in the Modding section an exploit? I just started using them, but, as they are freely on the forum, with no bad comments from the devs, I presume they are ok.

Some examples that might be borderline would be:

• long range view of meteors.
  • long range view of creatures.
  • change text for better descriptions.
  • change the way a thing looks (there are mods that make blocks look a diffrent colour for you, or a completly new design, or cool armour).

As these don’t actually break the game for others, or give you a great advantage, IMHO, would not be an exploit. I mean even for meteors, you can already know what direction it is, but not know the exact location, and even then, you still have the meteor tail that helps you get there.

3 Likes

Best advice… if you find something Odd…privately report it to the Devs… maybe the Devs could respond if they think it is an exploit ir not…or if they do not respond within 3 or 4 days it is assumed by them to be a non-issue.

Clarification is always good… as for botters and autotypers BAN them

@james has posted somewhere the meteors are allowed. I would check the official modding category in forums…

I personally think @James should define how he sees an exploit for people to be clear the way the Devs see it. I’ve always understood it as this for this game = use of any system or mechanic in the game that was not intended that adversely affects the overall game.

3 Likes

Well the mods are a interesting topic, because ps4 players can’t use thems o in some way they are in a disadvantage. But then again how much advantage to they actually provide?

2 Likes