[NOTICE] Exploits and Abuse

I find that the people who complain the most about something like this is because they missed out on using.
That is from my years of personal experience with all the MMO’s I’ve played.

4 Likes

maybe your right
i was online and seen it but dont used it because it seems false and now everything i done before is useless
nearly 2000 hours wasted for my style of playing the game when i coud do the same in only 5

1 Like

I can rest assure you they are NOT botting… I’ve mined with them a few times and some many times… I can say 110% they are because I always see them dumping unwanted items out PLUS asked me to regen bomb for them because their hand was getting tired…

1 Like

To me I think a clearer do’s and don’ts list should be mentioned so one can know to avoid doing… this excludes scripting since we all know that this is not allowed from a previous post. I myself do mine gleam to refine time to time to get 1) refined gleam for marble 2) for some extra plots so I can enjoy the game and build… and 3) sometimes I mint the rest… so would that be considered something to get me banned?

2 Likes

You run Alutech? I love your store :slight_smile: I go there all the time <3 hehe

1 Like

It kind of scary that I made more money in a few hours on a few exos just farming goo then you are claiming to have made in a year. I really need to go to your store.

Edit: not a dig at you, just a really shocking thought.

2 Likes

I think people have confused the word exploit and use it as some “extreme” word or that it is bad exclusively. It is all based on context of the use and situation as you state. Also blame is based on the situation.

I personally don’t think selling some spark to the Chrysominter for some coin was a bad thing. An experienced player would have known it was out of line in normal pricing while an unexperienced would not.

A person that “continued selling” (whether new or old timer) was exploiting the situation for a benefit. That doesn’t mean it was good or bad - just a choice the user made. Some users made different choices in that situation. It is that choice and the action taken that is key to define whether the person will face repercussions or not.

The point of this Dev post (in my view) was to remind people that there might be situations where you can do X in the game and get Y. Based on the situation it might be considered an exploit or abuse that was wrong to do and you risk your account. (e.g. - people using the memory read function to get an advantage in the game that the average player would not have.)

So think before you act. Just because you might feel it is not wrong does not mean that the Devs won’t find it as “using the system” incorrectly and fix it. If your transgression was too extreme you might face a ban.

And lastly, remember your actions “to take advantage of something” in an abusive way might end up affecting the game for all us of or make it even more restrictive or complicated.

To be clear, I’m talking about more than 50 million from the two players alone,
I’m fine, no worries about me.

And what? It’s a game. Ban the account, there are so many cheap keys available at this point, they can just make a new account. VPN’s hide location so you can’t IP ban, even if they wanted to.

No, the better thing to do is find the reason people feel the need to do those things and adjust the game accordingly so as to deter the need or thought of playing in a way that others might be offended by.

Otherwise you will just be playing whack-a-mole with repeat offenders cycling through cheap/easy access accounts creating more workload for an already small team.

I remember reading a post you made where you said you played DAoC. Remember buffbot using radar abusing assassins? nightshades/infils/shadowblade and the assorted archer types? Mythic took steps to deter the gameplay advantages those character types made use of and while they didn’t stop all of them, they greatly reduced the amount that wanted to do such activities as well as reducing the impact they had when they did choose to do such things.(like reducing RP values from ‘farm’ killing forcing you to kill others before you could get RP from a previous target)

2 Likes

Oh man, that is like 500,000 goo kernals. That would take me 67 hours to maintain or cycle each time. And would take me 744 hours to process all the pigments if each stack was 600 and I had 5 machines. Sorry, makes it more impactful if I think in terms of goo.

yep I remember the daoc days and the cheating… still people need to fear getting caught or else they will just keep doing it…

ok so shopkeeper is just the most unthankful thing right after huntleader in the game? :smiley:
I’m beginning to understand why nobody else cares. :expressionless:

3 Likes

Honestlly i’m kinda with Alucard on this one,

Why is it fair some guys managed to make such an extreme amount of coin in such a small amount of time? This goes well beyond what coin was made via things like gleam minting for the amount of time it was done.

2 Likes

Yeap ROLL BACK inc

No please no roll back, I’ve done 20 hrs of building since the patch

1 Like

Hi All,

As a team we discuss what is and isn’t an exploit in-depth so the answer to ‘What exactly is an exploit?’ is ‘an exploit is what Wonderstruck deems to be an exploit’. Everything is various shades of grey, so what one player may deem an exploit, another may not. So the decision on that needs to come from our team, that way the onus is on us.

In response to the questions about the recent Spark price with the Chrysominter; This was an oversight on our behalf and entirely unintentional. As such, anyone that did sell their Spark to the Chrysominter for the inflated price will not have their coin removed. We appreciate the community flagging it and therefore allowing us to make a quick fix and adjust the price.

The important message to take away from this is if an exploit or bug happens and you actively use this to make any advantage in Boundless, then this is against the rules and action may be taken. If you are unsure if something is an exploit, please do not hesitate to ask a member of the team.

As mentioned earlier, botting & scripting is also against the rules and anyone caught risk being permanently banned from the game. The only exception to this is scripting as a means to play with a disability, as this is acceptable.

If you suspect someone is using an exploit, botting or scripting, please use the in-game report function and feel free to provide me and the team any further supporting evidence for this.

Thanks all! :slightly_smiling_face:

32 Likes

edit: no longer relevant
no rollback pls!
i just want to explain my standpoint and why i have it because i got here and in another post mostly talked down with no understanding of it

Right. Not that I disagree but the problem is there’s nothing to fear. A ban. So what. Way back, that used to mean something. People know they can just get a new key and make a new account with whatever inf. Back in our early time, a lot of companies required your actual info and if they banned you, they banned you from making future/new accounts as they had your contact info filed. use the same credit card and boom that new account was instantly banned. As the internet has aged, people have learned a lot of ways around those old ways and it’s even harder since prepaid cards are such a prevalence.

I understand what your overall point is. I just don’t think you’re going to see it achievable with the same effect it would have had close to. Blizzard and CCP make a big show with their banwaves but ultimately it never had any real impact. Accounts just got cycled.

It’s the main reason I think understanding why they are making those decisions and adjusting gameplay would have a better impact than just outright banning them. That isn’t going to fix anything except stop them short term. People aren’t afraid of bans anymore. They aren’t weighty like they used to be, as the internet has aged.

Good convo though. Bit of a mindblow realizing how much gaming has changed in this time.

1 Like

In one sentence your saying if its a bug from an oversight its ok to use. But if its an bug from an… oversight… then its not ok to use?

Im not trying to joke about this or anything, but i’m confused by the contradictory terms of these sentences. To me this makes it seem like its ok to abuse exploits as long as there considered a bug, but arnt all such exploits usually the result of a bug?

4 Likes

They didn’t want to pick a side, it seems, lol.
Guess it was kind of an exploit then :woman_shrugging: