Of cats(devs) and mice(players) - which changes displease you?

So instead of playing the game, you’d rather level without actually playing the game, because you want to play the game? This is the thought process of those who think the game is lacking content. It’s kind of ironic, really.

Also, there are already ways to level without the rock nerf… :blush:

7 Likes

true but its kind of unbalanced at the moment the different aspects of boundless are like class’s and right now the system is setup to punish some of them for instance mineing yea i could level other ways but that would reqiure re specing my miner has such playing that different “class” then switching back to mining once hes at the level to use AOE tools

edit

has a exmple its like if i loaded up a MMO speced into a priest and got a system message saying “priest class gets a -50% XP gain till level 30 please spec into another class for full XP gain”

That’s not at all an equivalent scenario though… if an MMO had a situation where killing boars granted flat XP to characters regardless of level, but higher level characters could kill 9 at a time and double the XP gained by using a sword of 1000 truths, then you would have an equivalent scenario… and the basis of the greatest episode of South Park ever.

10 Likes

My two cents, I think the changes that made me the most annoyed were when they activated energy and added the power coil wall. Not saying they didn’t add something in their own way, its just the patch that drove most of the people on my home planet to stop playing the game. It was the last time my buddies played the game for more than a couple of hours per month lol.

4 Likes

The thing that most annoyed me was when all the tools and weapons individual traits based on the material they were crafted from was thrown out the window in favour of forging everything instead of using the forge to enhance and improve those traits. I really liked the fact that we could craft diamond scythe hammers and when the forge was announced I was hoping we could then add the 3x3 and extra durability, power etc etc if we wanted to at least that way those that don’t like forging could still create half decent tools and weapons.

5 Likes

As I was leveling up, I made an”Jack of all trades”… I made an alt… May main became my hunter/miner/gatherer/builder… and I made an alt who could be my crafter… then after I had both toons to 50, I made new loadouts and was able to fine tune my hunter/gatherer and build a dedicated miner. My crafter/builder alt fined tuned a forger…

Now I have 10 toons… I really only play on two and I’m working on my 3rd loadout on each one. I really hardly ever used the rock leveling method… once in a while.

What I’m really trying to get at, is it never held me back. I’ve been hunting on T6 planets way before I hit level 50… I was able to do everything I needed to do… granted, it’s easier now… but really if you play the game you’ll get there. I think it’s way easier now than it was before…

5 Likes

Not aiming at personally, but i think this sums up a lot of peoples thoughts at the time, and is what the root cause of the footfall changes was all about.

That mentality that “someone else has more, so im losing out”, is dangerous. No one is losing anything, its just others are doing better. Which i think is a really important nuance to keep in mind.

Rather than working to build your own, its taken away from others, which can only ever make people upset. When footfall changed i dont imagine the people advocating for a reduction actually thought “yeah, take that portal seekers you rich jerks!”. It was more “lets level the playing field”. But thats essentially how it worked as you cant level a playing field when people are playing at different levels. To keep with the sports analogies, its like putting a highschool team in the NBA and moving the hoop down 2ft so they can reach it. All the 7ft players would be bored as hell and it would completely ruin the game. But if we gave the highschool kids bouncy shoes, that would be actually awesome to watch, and the pros wouldnt lose anything in the process.

I guess i just believe we should find ways to benefit everyone, or a boost to people that need it, rather than letting jealousy dictate change and ruin it for at least one side. Same convos are happening a lot with forging now, and i really hope that the less vocal side who do enjoy the challenge it creates dont get shafted again.

P.s. i know i said “you” a million times, i didnt mean you personally. You know i love you. Haha

11 Likes

What I had wanted, and didn’t get was a more balanced way of coins being given out. Not that those who were getting a lot of footfall should lose it, but a way that those who weren’t getting any could get something to help them out.

At that time the prices of items was so high that it was impossible for new players to buy necessary items. Teaching pies weren’t 500 to 700 coins but 1200 to 4000 coins. There was no way new players could afford them but yet told to go and buy the pies and brews and the hammers at 20 to 50k and they could get rich also.

The higher levels players knew where to find the ores, gems and other items that lower level players didn’t and the respawning at that time was so long that even if you knew the hot spots they were cleaned out because older players knew the where and when it would respawn or regenerate. It was impossible for us to get rich because we didn’t have the means to get the tools and needed items.

And I didn’t resent the players but to be honest, the developers who didn’t seem to care or understand how difficult it was; then they nerfed it so much that it hurt everyone. Those who had and those who still didn’t have anything.

It is better now, but there are still problems, taking the xp away from the builders was unfair to the builders. For those who were using it to quickly advance was to me to some extent wrong, but I understood that many have a stronger drive than I do to achieve. Using what I and others have used, they were the sprinters in a race and some, such as me, were the marathon racers, we liked to advance at a slower pace and felt they needed to encourage others, new players to slow down, but that is a individual choice, some of those players wanted to advance quick. And, it didn’t hurt me, just felt they were missing out on so much by passing it by to get to the top fast.

And the xp was unevenly balanced in other ways, devs wanted players to explore but the xp and coin gain from it didn’t encourage it, now it does, I enjoy the exploring but didn’t get much from it, now I feel like I am being treated more fairly in my playstyle of taking my time and exploring, gathering, stopping to smell the roses as the saying goes.

I’ll even be honest that when the footfall was changed I wasn’t of the attitude that it served you right, you rich jerks, but of the attitude now you know what it feels like and hopefully understand and will quit calling us whinny babies and complainers, you are now complaining about how unfair it is for you. I wasn’t “gloating, ha ha you lost, served you right” but going, now you are walking in my shoes and can understand my viewpoint.

It is still unfair, unbalanced, but for all, not just one group. But in some areas more balanced, and that is a help to everyone.

What displeases me is still the lack of new content, until we really see the minter or chrysominter (too long of a name :slight_smile: ) I don’t think I like how it is set up, but I did read that the amounts right now in testing is not what it will be when it is released.

Just give us more content, dungeons, quests, fish to catch, rear armor we can make, a usage for the foliage. Can we please have the waxy leaves be used to make wax for decorative blocks, please?
And, I do understand that you meant the generic “you” not me specifically. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I guess thats the point im making, rather than finding a way to make it easier for new players, the solution was to make it harder for others so they felt the same pain.

Again, i know that wasnt anything you did personally, but i think as a community we should try look past the personal to find a way it works for everyone.

The devs do a great job trying to respond to feedback on the game. They read all of this everyday. And if ita a common theme, of course theyre going to respond as objectively as they can. I think its up to us as the community to be aware of what we’re saying, and how that affects others too.

Going back to the current forge example, the debate is really “i dont understand it, so we should remove that mechanic”. Its that very personally focused instant gratification that could very well change it for everyone, and in my opinion, remove or reduce a really unique mechanic from the game. But if we can find a way to help newer people understand it and embrace it, then its win/win.

10 Likes

I agree, they do do a great job. At the time that I felt the resentment, I was new to the game. I had just bought it and was seeing prices I was going I could never get that kind of coins. I can never advance to that level, learn to do those things. Seeing the older players having coins and some seeming to not care how the new players from the release felt lost, confused, and feeling as if we were at fault we didn’t have any coins because we weren’t doing what needed to be done when we didn’t know the ins and outs.

I don’t think it was intentional and many who had that attitude have left, I don’t see their names here anymore. I know that at times I can get complacent, just go and mine and get copper, iron and smelt it and sell the bars, or the raw ore, collect spicy beans and sell them.

The free weekend helped the devs to see what was needed and they made some good changes and I am believing that they will review some of the changes and hopefully make some more revisions.

Agree that some players want instant gratification, which can harm the game. And the devs sometimes seeing a problem and not focusing on the cause and fixing that, but trying to change how things are done. Why are players doing this? Lets find out why and change that – that is what needs to be done. Not the why are they doing this, lets stop it from happening; hopefully they will start to see it that way as they read the forums and realize that they are applying a band aid instead of fixing the reason for the causes.

6 Likes

I know, it’s their game, but we’re the ones playing and paying.

I suppose, but they could have made it viable for solo players too.

There is a huge difference between mega and minor buffs.

1 Like

Yes, there is a huge difference between the minor and mega levels on the guild buffs. My point is you do have an option as a solo player. The buffs are scaled. Why shouldn’t the mega be better? It encourages players to work together for greater benefit.

3 Likes

You’ve clearly missed my point. My point was that, say, mega buff costs 1000 coins. If you are alone in the guild, it would be total cost of 1000c. However, if you are 10 in the guild, then it would be 10000c. Naturally, there could be an upper limit, say 15k, where more players don’t increase cost and therefore give small advantage over solo players, but it would give solo players the possibility to use mega buffs. Currently solo players cannot use megas cause it is too expensive.

This has absolutely nothing to do with scaling mega buff compared to small buff effects.

1 Like

If the cost for the buff is 1000 for a solo player and 10000 for 10 players then there is no incentive for the 10 players to work together for a greater reward as the net cost is the same. May as well make the buff a skill point…

My point was it scales. You said it doesn’t. The lower tier was put there specifically for solo and small guilds. Why shouldn’t there be some things in this game that reward players working together?

2 Likes

Why should solo players be punished for not wanting to play in a group?

3 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from because I’m a solo player too, but I don’t feel this is completely unfair.

I could have access to the minor buffs as Vurtadelic says, on my own if I want to. And I could easily join a guild or a friend’s guild that would give me some of the bigger versions of the buffs I like.

But I choose not to join those guilds or spend my own coin on the buffs because I see it as a bonus and my current coin gain is very limited; plus I don’t need that bonus to play normally.

I personally dislike seeing this argument come up, but I’ll use it: It is supposed to be an MMO. I can see how the current implementation would be a motivator for group play and co-operation. I personally don’t want to bother myself with that just at the moment though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

May be an MMO but, fair or unfair, still gives certain people a kinda big advantage (very dependable of playstyle) just cause they agree to carry a certain title next to their name.

What do you mean by this? Not sure what you’re referring to, I’m thinking might have missed one of your replies before.

Anyway, yes, it does give people an advantage in some way; I would like to have the buffs more easily too as a solo player, I was simply explaining how I personally accept the situation as it is. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What I meant is that just because I carry the title LOL (example, but example is a big guild with lots of cash who can afford all best buffs) I could just join that guild, litterally do nothing but carry that LOL title next to my in game name and get the buffs. There are many guilds that allow this and many that do this, but not everyone wants to do this and are therefore punished for not wanting to carry a certain title. Doesn’t really matter if you do anything with the guild or not.

1 Like

This is a perfect analogy of what we need!!
Boost the noobs not nerf the pros.

No kidding.
Some people don’t sell everything and maybe plan to use the stuff they collect…

2 Likes