Oort Online Race Suggestions

Never trust a merchant D:

2 Likes

Maybe make some kind of tree/plant people?

Else i think a furry people would fill out the roll of the elves quite well

1 Like

Yeah, I really liked the way GW2 incorporated the elvish feel in the Sylvari. A bit too much tree-hugging, though.

Found another beast race! BUNNIES!

6 Likes

Iā€™ll just leave this here for youā€¦ Youā€™ll particularly be interested in the part around 1:45, I think.
Oort Online First Look! - Races and Abilities

Released Dec19, 2014

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ve seen the video. BUT I never really noticed the ā€œbirdā€ partā€¦

/boards Hype train

1 Like

Hmm it would be cool if the differet races height could vary from body type to body type

So for example with this picture:

the nobles and workers would be 3 tall (Or 2.5)

and the merchants would be 2 tall (or 1.5)

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly!
I just posted roughly the same in another topic just now: I think itā€™d be better if we could choose the height of our character regardless of his race, while retaining the height properties (such as increased limit of the inventory for tall characters, increased movement speed for average characters, /something for small characters).

Defining a race with its height is not as a good idea as it might seem. What if a player likes the concept of canine/feline/avian race overall, but doesnā€™t want his character to tower over others and struggle with small doors?

The difficulty behind this is that eevery race need 3 completly different body type/subtypes that would fit the height.

I believe the races will mostly share the same base skeleton with a bit of visual differences (like tails, horns, etc). This way itā€™ll require to do separate body textures for each of the heights, but not much more.

Of course, if each race has different animations and stuff, itā€™ll require a lot more work. Maybe @ben or @james can share some insight on this topic.

I donā€™t think that would work just looking at some of the concept art:

These characters could at most be changed around half a block both ways before they start to look strange a different design to each height would be necesary.

One spindly, towering design
One ā€œnormalā€ by human standards that is.
And one compact desing

Here is my concept art for a race suggestion

2 Likes

What concerns me the most about different heights made baseline for the races is the following:

Different heights means problems with accessibility. Tall species wonā€™t be able to go through a 1-block and even common 2-block door, which is simply not fair, because races with 1-block height can fit through ANY door. I believe that no area should be left completely inaccessible for a character just because heā€™s tall or short.

Solution: implement crouch/crawl feature. This will allow higher races to access areas via 1-block entrances (for higher races, this would involve crawling).

Also Iā€™m deeply concerned about innate racial abilities. I donā€™t know whatā€™s in the works at the moment since thereā€™s not much official information on that topic, but from what I get thereā€™s no clear system in place yet. I know that racial abilities can be hard to balance, because some of them might end up utterly useless compared to others.

Solution: a clear system of racial abilities which brings all races in line, while keeping them sufficiently different from each other. For example: 1 passive and 1 active racial ability. As an example, Avian race could have a passive ability that improved vision (increased range/clarity, maybe night vision - think owls and other nocturnal birds), and an active ability that allows them to glide. Now I understand that flying is OP and should not ever be in the game, but gliding is what could keep the ā€œbird feelā€ in this race, while keeping it balanced. So by pressing Spacebar while falling a member of Avian species would start gliding, moving diagonally in the direction theyā€™re facing.

Thoughts?

4 Likes

I actually like the idea of restricting accesible areas as that would work as an ability in itself. to counter that it becomes to strong you could maybe balance it out with buffs and debuffs. You could for example say that being tall gives you a buff being medium height does nothing and being low gives some kind of de buff.

Further more i think that generated structures should be done so all heights can move through it.

I like this though crawling should always be an option. It should of course be quite a lot slower.

Yup this is always hard to balance one way to counter this would be to do so you could always some way or another get an item/skill that does the same.

This could be another way to make sure that the balancing issue does not become to large

2 Likes

@Lilem I was so having the same thoughts about it because of the height differences, and I did think that what if they gave us the option to crawl.

Birds can have a glide

Cats have a form of less dmg from a fall

Stuff like that.

@Lilem I think Deers/antelope-like animals can be the ā€œelvesā€ in Oort. Cuz you know, they live in forests and have pointy ears also ^^ā€™

They can even live in mushroom forests!

Also, I wonder how the devs are going to create clothing for each race.
Would it be the same design but fit differently for each character like GW2(excluding the armor that only your race can buy in the cities)? Or would it look unique on every race?

15 Likes

Iā€™d love a deer race, theyā€™re so unique. Plus they could be based on others as well like Elk, Moose, Reindeer and even things like Antelope and Pudu.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

or dik dik :smiley: theyā€™re so cute even though theyre named dikdik

2 Likes

Aw definitely :smile:

Omaigawd you just come up with these awesome ideas again and again! :scream_cat:

About clothing and armor: Iā€™m not really sure which system I personally prefer. I think a healthy mix of same-desidn armor and some unique pieces of clothing.

1 Like

Yes that would be so cute!!