Oortbusters (Were All The People Go ?)

Were Everyone Been At It Use To Be 15 To 20 Ppl And Now Its Like 5 or None Either Ppl Quit Or I Got a Troll after Me lol

1 Like

There’s about 50-100 total people that play the game now concurrently. Devs have abandoned the game to focus on Baldur’s Gate 3 as confirmed by James.

I’m sorry, I love to go hunting, because it’s the best time to play in my real life, but now I’ve started working at that time and I can’t go hunting :disappointed:

I don’t know where you are getting your information from but there is a lot more than that playing. I get on in the evening time sometimes and run into more than that playing on playstation alone and see pc players too. If I get on the game in the morning and play until the evening I come across more than 150+ players through out the day

I’d estimate that number about double. Steam alone it’s about 100 player peak … with PS players currently outnumbering PC players by about double that…

Unfortunately. over the course of the last 7 days, the peak has been 112 concurrent players (not including those on exo worlds, in the sanctum, or on private worlds - i.e. sovereign worlds with “Can Visit” set to off).

The stats I have are taken from the games discovery server, which includes all the publicly accessible worlds - so it includes all players (both Steam and PS)

Remember that this only shows concurrent players (those playing at the same time). There are absolutely more people playing, but they’re just not all playing at the same time of the day.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here:

That is just from steam. They can’t get info on stats on playstation players due to the fact they don’t have permission to access the info from sony

3 Likes

I’m aware of how steamcharts works and that it can’t get the PS players but I people keep using this argument that there are actually more PS players playing Boundless than PC and I’ve never once seen data to corroborate this. My guess is that there are actually fewer players on PS.

I check the Steam charts almost religiously for a number of games actually. I also check SteamDB (link) as it gives a little better breakdown on some other information.

The data I collected had a total of 410 unique players listed. There were a few (22) I could not identify as PC or PS players or alts as I didn’t catch them in time running through TNT or logging at the time. Of those, PC players accounted for about 1/3. The data is a little skewed as some players (12) have accounts on both PS and PC.

I should have gathered more data in reference to if they are on the forums, how much they play, etc.

I would go by the data @Stretchious has provided over most.

EDIT: The data I collected doesn’t account for concurrent players.

1 Like

and Stretch’s data supplied would coincide with the figures Dhusk was giving, … anywhere between 50-100 players. I think for most people, it’s understood that is 50-100 players online at any given time… There may very well be 600 people playing the game (maybe more maybe less) but at any given time you’re only going to see between 50-100 people online; which is what matters when we’re talking about an active game server.

@Stretchious you have historical data on there too?

It would be nice to see Sept 2018 when the Steam charts show 825 avg or so players, then how each month nearly 1/2 of the population dropped going forward and then leveled off at about 200ish for several months.

That is what saddened me most about the game … it never had more than 825 average Steam players…

1 Like

Reading an interesting thread on the general topic in the industry… whole thing worth a read but can be summed up by this one part -

https://twitter.com/Enichan/status/1438543168547475464

It is the tragedy for me as well with this game - Phil in the other thread was saying Boundless would always be niche, but ANY niche can be very sizeable given how many people around the world play games. The problem is, is that in recent years the market has become incredibly saturated and it is taking, as mentioned above, some serious PR work, hype, and frankly IMO some luck in hitting a home run. You can get wonderful games with genius teams like this one working on them, and without that head of steam coming out of the gate, doing everything else right can still not make it a success. :frowning:

I compare what happened with Boundless to NMS since I think it is fair… the hype made all the difference. I just still can’t figure out if Sean Murray is really a marketing genius or it was inadvertent, but without that initial hype, building that early loyal base, well, to me, Boundless is still the better game, much as I love NMS. I could be totally wrong, but I think their fates could easily have been reversed.

Boundless does have an issue with the NPE as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, but even if that were perfect, they just didn’t get the exposure it needed, the press, social media and all needed to be handled professionally from a much earlier point before release.

3 Likes

I haven’t posted anything here because I saw little point, but meh I’m bored.

The question is what does it really matter if there are 200 players not 100, or even 50. Ultimately unless the number is significantly increased and new people are attracted the game isn’t viable. The trend is obviously going downward and the future isn’t great if the trend isn’t reversed. 100 players or 200 becoming 80/160 is the same thing. If it had 100k players then dropped to 10% of it after launching devs tend to move on

I left due to lack of variety in PvE content, lack of buyers for my gems(Having to run around to sell of 3k+ gems to multiple shops/planets/etc was getting way too time consuming), and Dev’s pretty much taking 2+ months to answer questions regarding missing rewards advertised over 5 years ago.

Do I get the itch/urge to come back…YES mainly because creativerse/vintage story and others just don’t fit my needs for a sandbox game. Just holding onto a slime hope that this game makes a turnaround.

1 Like

NMS was literally hated for quite some time … their release was atrocious or at least what was released vs promised. There were MANY people that swore the game off completely.

I’d have to do some reading but when you have Sony involved I imagine that PR and just the overall marketing might have been better and much larger and just judging by the sales I imagine that is the case.

There was a bit of hype, there were news articles, videos, streams, dev streams, dev updates, etc…2015 to 2018 ish. It all seemed to stop after 2018, at some point.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/sony-and-square-enix-reveal-their-pax-east-2017-line-ups

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat as Dukkha…new job has me working weird hours, and not having as much time to play in a sitting. I try to catch what hunts I can, when I can, buts its usually GTG hosting when I’m free to play

2 Likes

Maybe the people ran away after they realised they had to grind so long to get coins to buy oort to then fuel there portals.Its a game killer.Im only just hanging in there purely because I love boundless you know building and meeting kind people.But now I have my own portals I spend most of my time grinding to get coins to fuel those pesky portals.The thing I don’t like is that.I really do wish the devs either make it so you only have to fuel once when you build a portal or they could just make portals free.Its unfair that if you aren’t playing boundless say for a week you could end up loosing your portal to someone else.So I have to try and keep them fuelled even if I’m not playing which is crazy.I unfortunately added a load of portals on my city COSMICVIBRATIONS in lamblis because I found some beautiful pretty amazing creations I just couldn’t resist to have a portal too.im greedy and got so many portals now purely because I got attached to those beautiful locations and it’s easy access with a portal.so it’s kind of my fault having so many portals but I just can’t part with any.lol.Im a solo player so it’s tricky fuelling every week.Marcel my best friend on boundless has gifted me oort to fuel my portal to his place but I always feel bad him even helping me.The rest I do myself and sometimes Marcel will give me things like free tools and peat to sell but I alot of time refuse to take it from him because really I should be doing it all myself.I don’t think I will properly leave boundless but I must say after grinding 400k a week to fuel my portals I feel cranky and loose my oomph to even go and build or you know be around my friends.I have an illness that can make feel drained so doing the portals can really suck the life out of me.Beautiful game but it’s tireing to be consistent .Apart from that dilemma I love boundless and the people are kind to me and extremely helpful,I’m just bit stubborn and not good at excepting a helping hand.If the devs read this please can you make getting money quicker easier or just make portals cheap or free.This is my only wish that I’m wishing right now.Have a happy cosmic time on boundless and enjoy your time.Ive left boundless for 3 weeks and I’m back because it seems to be my destiny.i guess I should finish my Palace in lamblis.hey I started building my Palace bridge which is a good start.:heart:bye for now from cosmiccori a Starbeing of love and light.

3 Likes

I am sure I don’t have as many portals as most people. But I do go on hunts to accommodate for some of the Oort. I don’t feel hunts are a grind at all. I make money a few ways and none of those feel like a grind at all. If it is a grind for some to run 200 portals… then maybe cut if back to 100 portals … if its a grind for 20 then maybe cut if back to 10. I technically have found I really only use 2 portals that I own constantly the rest I can do without. I do have about 20 portals though and none of those require any thing I would consider a grind.

I make enough coin in my concrete shop to accommodate for the cost and quite a bit extra, hunts are just a bonus. I suppose someone might consider running a concrete shop a grind though. I actually enjoy it. On top of that I put in a bit of coin into DK Mall a bit… but nothing outrageous that would cause me to do more than I do now.

Sorry about your illness @cosmiccori if you ever need anything just ask :slight_smile:

2 Likes