Permanent private Domain (via Sanctum)

so there has been this topic:

And i thought about it carefully. The point of the topic was that players that dont have the time to play very regularly, say every month, or maybe have to pass playing for some months need some kind of feeling that they did not loose everything that they created in the game, except their inventory, even if they loose their beacons due to not fueling them.

Now my idea to solve this, as i think this will prevent players to give up on the game because they have the feeling to always have to start all over again from scratch, would be the creation of a small private space that would be accsessible via the sanctum, and seperate from the gameworlds, that the player can customize as they please. i imagine it being a relatively small and basic space lets say not bigger than 2x2x2 plots. It would not count against plots though, you would have them by default.

Now, a player has a space to build what he wants, he can make it a storage room, his secret hideout, his masterforge where he can in all hermity create his masterpices, and best of all it would be permanent and even if you come bach a year later and all your beacons have decayed this domain still exists and has all the stuff in it.

they would not feel like all forgotten but being greeted welcome home even after some month or a year or whatever.

8 Likes

The problem with this kinda thing is that the sanctum is an offline place… it basically doesnt exist to the rest of the game…

Plus if there was always a safe place to put your stuff then there would be no point to protecting plots and most builds wouldn’t ever be seen by anyone else…

This is why they have greater beacon fuels that can fuel for months at a time.

1 Like

you could make the private domain a separete space that is an online space too, only that it accessible via the sanctum by the owner. Also maybe it could then be possible to invite friends to the private domain so they can see it too.

it is only a very small space, only for your most basic needs (say1x2 or maximally 2x2x2). some people may be okay with this for some time, but if you want to have a build with an exteriour or a large templecomplex or even a simple shop you basically have to build in the world. everything that involves interaction like gathering, large crafting, becoming a warden/viceroy, making friends, shoping, making a shop, requires you still to go to the world. you can put in basic machines but if you want to undergo a reasonably large crafting endeavour you will have to put plots down in the world xD

EDIT: if you think its to much space, think about storage rooms in this game. I would say i have a small base/house, but my storage room is still 5x3 plots large and i would never be able to fit all my storage in that small room, only the most imprtant stuff really.

3 Likes

Personally I think the current system in place is sufficent enough to cater for all the players. This is taking in account the desing for monetization to keep the game alive.

If you can’t(don’t feel like to) play the game for extended period of time, you can always subscribe to gleam club to make sure your beacons don’t go out without the need to fuel them.(Or just to support the upkeep of the servers)

Also if you just can’t(or don’t want to) afford to spend real money you have also the option to make better beacon fuels for longer up times by just playing the game.

You can always set your self a notification in your phones calendar application(for example) to remind yourself when you need to refuel or renew gleam club subscription. I could see that the devs could possibly make a feature that would e-mail the address linked to your account when your beacon is running low on fuel, but I wouldn’t mark this as a high priority feature.

If a person can’t see the effort to make a simple notification for them self for such thing in the current state of the game, I’d say they are either pretty self entitled or lazy af beyond comprehension.

1 Like

i dont think a private domain of a small size would make monetization like gleam club obsolete. You would still want to have beacons in the world and would want to keep them up for a long time if you have the money.

This idea, in my opinion , is even very good for the game, as players that would otherwhise not feel welcomed back, come playing more often and make not so long pauses if they know they dont have to start from scratch, making them feel demotivated from the thought alone.

i really do not think that judging people as not so clever or lazy for not fueling their beacons will make them feel comfortable with the game. judging them is not good, assisting them is helping the game a lot more.

1 Like

Is this assuming that those people didn’t realize that leaving beacon unattended would let it expire thus leaving the blocks/gear in it for other to take/regeneration to consume?

i think most people starting the game know that, although i know some that stoped the game sadly because they just overlooked the fuel going down, because they where unconsiderate and busy with other activitys in the game. but i think it can be beneficial not just for those, but also for people that loose interest for the game for a time for other reasons, but get an urge later. it would motivate them more if they knew there is something waiting for them.

atm there is no alternative other than packing your inventory with yout stuff, which is not a lot and not a build, to just loosing your poseesions to regeneration if something like this happens.

2 Likes

The problem with a permanent build space is that it’s a drain on the servers storage and if every character had their own it would be resources taken away from the game which could be used on new planets and such.

Maybe instead of a build space, have some sort of special storage in sanctum. So if someone is planning to be offline for a long period they can store their valuable resources inside a box in sanctum. There would have to be a limit on how much can be stored and a way to stop people using it as everyday storage (maybe a 24 hour cooldown to access things being put it).
This should keep server resource usage down and still allow people to return to the game after prolonged abscence.

People don’t get this: what makes Boundless the game they love, is the very system that they hate. IF there’s no incentive to put in a bit of work to keep your properties active, the game will fill up pretty quickly, and it’s gonna be a huge ruin.

As a guy said above, working 2 hours per month to fuel your beacon is way more than enough. No matter how busy you are irl.

5 Likes

a sorage in the sanctum is not going to work, as it is not syncronised with the servers. the sanctum is only on your computer, but not serverside. People could manipulate the storage and smuggle stuff to the worlds maybe. It would have to be on the server.

2 Likes

its not about not having to think about your beacons anymore. you still will have to do that ^^. no one would be able to build a gorgeous cathedral in his domain , too small of space, or get any footfall from it. its only like as safezone. it would not destroy the game and you would still have to fuel your beacons if you want to conserve your efforts.

please dont put it like this, i do get what you mean and i do not hate the game xD so dont accuse me of that, but i consider other players with different playstyles and habits too.

2 Likes

You could always unlock alts as extra storage space for anything you’d like to save from looters/regeneration, as you said the personal space your talking here would not be too big to build anything worth while saving either, so why not just use the already implemented game mechanics even if to extent they weren’t meant for?

3 Likes

because you cant really save a build up space xD (i belive such a space would be very worthwhile saving though). Sure that would be a possible solution if its only about saving the blocks/items . But that would be an unintended use. And what i would like to see is an intended dummy save, easy to figure out and nice feeling game mechanic.

1 Like

i dont think it should be a priority feature to implement too, but i heard about the devs planing to remake the sanctum anyway at some point, so why not consider it maybe ^^

1 Like

I actually like this Idea… The Game holds back a lot with Core information like “Hey if you don’t care you’ll loose everything in 4 hours” Or how to start Proberly… I see a lot of People leaving cause of this and that isn’t Okay… If we had a Liiittle Safe Space we could use for Vital Stuff and Cool Forges so we don’t loose everything instantly would take away a looot of pressure.

Also i hate it to run back thru 5-6 Portals just cause i forgot my Food… Let me Store Stuff in a Space Pocket Pleeease :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been playing the game since EA, and it never crossed my mind to do this, I feel dumb now :stuck_out_tongue:

I do still think it would be nice though if the game had an option to send email reminders for you instead.

As far as personal space or storage in the Sanctum - I was advocating for it but now I’m not so sure. I’d probably just end up using it to carry extra rocks back with me from mining trips and such, instead of storing valuables. Sanctum warp is free so basically any storage there can be used as an extension of your inventory.

2 Likes

So there’s no possible way to connect an entity in the sanctum to the servers?

It really wouldn’t be difficult to add a storage box in the sanctum that just draws from the server. If you can’t connect to the server the box doesn’t open, just like the portals won’t connect since they’re also in the sanctum and connect to the server.

You can give yourself items in sanctum, so this would be very exploitable

2 Likes

Can you give youself items in sanctum? I can’t even make a totem in sanctum.

Maybe I’m missing something but i don’t see why for a system like this the server couldn’t authenticate transactions with a storage container where the data is stored server side and is only accessed through an entity within sanctum. I’m guessing character data is stored on the servers so there shouldn’t be any way of bypassing such a system.

Depends. Were you suggesting you could put stuff into that storage?