Please help advise isolated Berlyn-Dweller!

Hello there!

You can call me Doodle. I just purchased Boundless and began to play this past Monday, there’s a lot to love! Enough that during this week I took off of work for my birthday, I’ve poured hours each day into trying to establish a good working base and learn my way around the beautiful world. (DANG I love the effect of the falling snow!!)

I’ve run into challenge after challenge, and managed to strike a victorious pose upon several through the glorious process of trial and error. But still, I find myself seemingly struck down by the game design more often than not in my recent attempts.

Primary culprit of smashing my face on an invisible wall: Iron.

I have spent days trying to find some kind of help with google searches. The Wiki will proudly give a large description of what an item is or what advanced ingredients I need to craft a desired machine. But nothing past that. No help there for finding the resources.

Next stop: posts on websites like Steam and the forum here. What I found were contradicting reports of where to find iron and other rare requirements for higher crafting. Some said in/under ice mountains. Okay, I spent ten hours strip mining and found no iron. Others said under surface with lots of flowers. Alright, I give it a go and plow tunnels beneath the indicated biome. Again, nada. I’ve mined all through the recommended altitudes, zip. Zilch in the Iron department.

When other players expressed similar difficulties I saw that they were directed to go to another planet. Like Thurka or Solem. Cool… soooooo how are we expected to make it to another planet without the needed materials to craft our way there? That’s like telling someone to check a car dealership in another part of the country when what they need is a vehicle to start with.

By chance I stumbled onto a shop that was selling coordinates to get to other planets and my heart leapt! Finally! I didn’t care if it cost 10,000 coins for the passage! I’m over 26 levels in mining and the iron would be entirely worth the expiration of my generous savings. I got back to my base, all but smacked my face into my warp stones in a mixture of haste and enthusiasm. And discovered I needed 15 Tech components, of which I had seen a glorious zero during all my time playing.

I’m at the end of my rope here. Is Berlyn supposed to be a planet you can’t leave? Did I miss the big warning to not choose my own global location of US West because I’d be stuck forever? Am I missing something huge like the dingus I am and the solution to my dilemma is excruciatingly easy?

I need help. I desperately want to still like this game, but for all my efforts I seem to be failing. I can’t progress, and similarly can’t see the point in trying to play a game that doesn’t want me to succeed.

Make no mistake, I realize that this is a game in flux. Improvements will be made and change will happen. But at the same time, it seems that everyone else got the deluxe sandbox play set and while I paid the same price of admission I’m sitting in a limited (if graphically quite stunning) mud puddle.

Phew… sorry if I got a bit passionate there. It’s been bubbling in my brainpan for days and I just want some help. Everyone seems super nice in the community. In five long days of play, I’ve only met 3 other players on Berlyn. Two of which I actually taught the basics and handed supplies off to because they were newer at the game than me!! The third had iron grappling tools and said in summary ‘good luck finding any iron, lol’.

So I’m respectfully pleading for help. Heck, I don’t want handouts! If I can’t get to another planet on my own power but someone is going to be a complete sweetheart and give me Iron please, PLEASE tell me what other resource I can heap upon you in gratitude! I’ll find you stacks of iron, or copper, or silver, or cook you mountains of food or make you enough torches to light up a stadium! I’m not afraid to work for it!

I hope that the length of this post doesn’t discourage people from reading, that’d be a real bullet in my own foot.

Respectfully,
Doodles

4 Likes

This post should solve your questions about where to find iron and other resources

How to travel to other planets or places. Warp conduits can be handcrafted and require almost nothing to be made, you can also go to sancturn and use the warp that’s not open to travel to your saved locations.

But if you want to save yourself some coin and travel to other planets, you can use portals. Head to Berlyn Township [-1704, 100, -139]

Before it was harder to find gold, too hard. There’s been a recent redistribution and some people are finding it harder to find certain needed resources at the start of a game, especially in Solum. With due time it will be fixed.

Helpful resources
Crafting recipes and more, made by the legend @Stretchious
http://boundlesscrafting.com/
Discord channel, where you’ll find more helpful people to answer your doubts.
Discord

4 Likes

i wish you luck on your search for iron, it’s an annoying jerk of a thing to find. Solum has a 3x more likely chance for iron (as there is roughly 3x as much iron there compared to other planets) (ask the devs as to why, i dunno)

i can give you some iron if you’d like it, but it’s always tricky to meet up.

2 Likes

The best advise for getting off world is to get to the Berlyn Township there you can find various connections to the portal networks. I am setting up a shop there that will sell iron ingots, so you can also craft your own tools if you like.

3 Likes

Thank you to the very kind people who responded to this topic.

Dzchan, I had seen the Resource distribution metrics post before but couldn’t figure out how it helped me. However the news that there is a Berlyn Township is super exciting!! I wish I could save it as a landmark to run towards because I have terrible skill in trying to count the numbers while running to figure out which way to go.

Xanotos, I appreciate the offer to try and meet up and exchange iron. I lucked out and stumbled across a player’s home who was setting up a permanent portal to Nasharil and I have been able to get some iron on that planet. Between running from Cuttletrunks and taking lava dives XD

Havok, So there is a marketplace in the Berlyn Township? This is great news! I could get the other things I need but have never seen like components and devices!

Thank you again,
Doodles

1 Like

Berlyn Township connects to Pixel Gate (Another market), and that one connects to Therka Market (The biggest market).

Also to navigate, you can press “.” two times, Camera pos should tell you your coords.

Other way you can go about it is by pressing “E” and going to your locations tab, there you’ll see your current location, there you can also save locations, craft location markers, etc.

1 Like

I think this is what @Dzchan94 was referring to down in the comments…

This is a chart by @Stretchious

I did a bit of testing under a forest mountain with flowers @ about 55 y (altitude) on Solum (US East Starter world)… for one thing it can be hard to dodge the caves (which seem to have next to no iron) I found about 55 iron in a couple of hours… i actually found just as much silver as i did iron.

I’ve had about the same / better results by mining in the snowy mountains at about 111-ish Y even though the chart Suggests that this would be a terrible place to mine… so grain of salt?

2 Likes

And then there’s @SilberB who gets 250 iron in 2 hours

1 Like

Yep, it seems the information might work. But I’ve found around 200 iron at mountains around 80 - 100.

The information does work. What I’m finding may be out of luck, or it works in a general sense too.

How does one find out your altitude? It’s not clear to me from the debug coordinates–I assume the first two numbers on Camera POS are X and Y but is that accurate?

The numbers in camera pos are xxx, yyy, zzz.

Y being the altitude.

Personally I check my altitude using the in-game menu. I pop it open with ‘E’ then hit the tab for ‘Location’ and under current location it tells me at what height I’m currently standing. When I’m checking to see if I am at a good spot to start tunneling horizontally, that’s how I do it.

It’s easier for me at least.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m new to the game and am also on Berlyn. I have not seen anyone and about 30 hours in. Iron what is that! I found Copper, Silver and even a little Gold. I’m using workbenches as storage because I can’t make nails. I still can’t figure how to make glass lol. Trying to figure it out on my own it’s part of the fun. But it’s lonely on my side of the world I want to move but don’t know how? Are you starting a town and are looking for lost souls? lol I do love this game and I see great things to come. QueenNuts lost in Berlyn

2 Likes

@QUEENNUTS
I am attempting to start a town in Andoweem if you want to join me. I am still constructing at the moment. See this…

If you can find your way to Andoweem you are welcome to join me and start building your home there. I have a Plinth by @Jeffrotheswell Andoweem gateway, you can use the location token from the Plinith to port from Sanctum. Don’t feel bad if you can’t make it because of the server lag you might experience because its an Australian server.

The other place you can try is also Elop Portus, its @Jeffrotheswell city he is starting at Elopor. If you can get to his gateways on one of the planets it will take you right there.

2 Likes

There is currently a lot of discussion about iron, will likely get fixed in a soon to be update, but it’s a topic that’s been dragged on and on, and the dead horse don’t get no deader.

As for glass, it takes compact silty soil and sand in a furnace, I believe 1 compact soil, 2 sand, gets you 2 glass.

1 Like

if you still want to have fun figuring out STOP READING STARTING NOW :joy:

[dramatic whisper] it’s sand and compressed silt put together in a furnace [/dramatic whisper]
well, at least it was before - I think there was a note in one of the updates that it has been changed, as it was quite expensive one and players were calling for an easier recipe

since I’ve been playing testing version for a while now, I haven’t had a chance to test it

do you know about http://boundlesscrafting.com or you deliberately ignore it for fun?

1 Like

@boundmore Thank you for the info. No I did not know, but now I do!:yum: Love this game…

2 Likes

@Xanotos Thank you, This is all so new and the mysteries to unfold, but I love this game.

1 Like

:oort_q::oort_u::oort_e::oort_e::oort_n::oort_n::oort_u::oort_t::oort_s:

that’s your in-game name written in Oortian alphabet :grin:
I like the Ice Age reference there :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@boundmore That’s so cool thanks for doing that for me, going to copy that! :grinning:

1 Like