Please Remake the Forging System

I can deal with the animations and RNG but I really hate the defects and quirks. I stopped playing for while now because of the changes to forging. I only recently came back with the last patch to check stuff out. Had to forge weapons cause we had run out of them. It just reminded me how much I hated the changes that were done. I just can’t see any way why having the stupid negative effects was every thought of as a good idea. This is a game that could do really good if they would stop doing stupid things like this. Games are for having fun, not for hating to do stuff in them. sigh

4 Likes

I don’t think relying on someone else to sell something in a shop is really solving the root problem.

At least with food items you know what you’re getting from the end result of all that effort.

There is a difference from a RNG result and one that you get each time you’ve put in the time to gather all the specific materials you need. You know what you’re going to get versus something you don’t.

I don’t know why the system needs to even have negative effects placed on the item in the first place. Risk vs reward I guess? That’s a weak argument for having quirks and defects. Weak argument for RNG.

There’s one thing you’ve said I can’t agree with and that’s that shops won’t be needed anymore. This is incorrect. The economy isn’t going to tank if forging becomes easier or redesigned to have no RNG. There are underlining issues with the economy that would cause item markets to drop dramatically. Forging isn’t one of them. Lack of items worth selling is the main cause of that, but this isn’t a thread about the economy.

The maximum Stability and Vigour you can have is 1800. There are 9 Boon effects you can roll from for a Tool. If that number goes up, you’re just going to experience a more pronounced RNG result. I really don’t know how else to communicate or explain how if that number of Boons that tools can get increases over time, it’s only going to make forging less enjoyable for those currently okay with it. It’s going to get worse, not better.

It’s always best to prevent a problem from occurring in the future than it is to deal with it when it manifests in front of you.

2 Likes

a) Forging shops sell lots of other things as well.

b) Forging shops aren’t the whole economy.

c) I was assuming that if AoE Hammers were craft-able they would still be forge-able, so forgers could add damage, speed, and durability to them.

d) The economy of this game is already in the tank, so “what will happen to the economy?” is not much of an argument.

2 Likes

The fact is forge shop basically the most famous category in current market.
Also I don’t think the item’s value will drop if devs remove the rng setting from it.
Removing or not is still debatable, but i don’t think that will affect market price.

1. It still require same materials to craft ingredients, only thing different may be the transmutation solvent cost.
    But i know there is other method use deco 3 resin to replace transmutation solvent, so shouldn’t be affect a lot.

2. Its still aoe + damage, so the demand still there. People won’t choose not buy it only because it’s easier to forge. Some of them may start forge their own, but I believe some people who don’t hunt a lot or new players will still buy it from market.

On the other hand, maybe for forgers they can make more income because the forging time reduce, so they can forge more nice product in same time.

Then those shops will have to expand their wares to include non-forged gear and mats.

The selling of enchanted/forged gear alongside mundane gear is quite common in MMO games even those that don’t have an RNG mechanic during the crafting/enchanting phase, in most games the RNG mechanic is tied to just the gathering of the materials, Boundless is the only game i have ever played that has an RNG mechanic tied to both material drops and the enchanting phase.

2 Likes

And thats why we love it. Boundless aint like other games.

I don’t want anyone to think that I am not trying to get better at forging. I’ve spent more time on the testing server yesterday and got a little better results. I am only trying to get better at it cause it’s what is available to work with but that doesn’t mean I will ever like the current system. I just don’t want it to turn into a bigger problem in the future as we get more Boons.

It’s impossible to tell what changes the devs will do on their own with forging. It’s my hope that it’s for the long term benefit of every player in the game.

2 Likes

I just forged my first hammer, I’ve played the game ~150 hours, soloish, nothing was given to me. Either bought things with coin (like coils) or collected myself. The only annoying thing was the random boon categories even with 4 gums. That’s the only thing I’d change, make it so X amount of gums weighs the category enough to guarantee a buff from that category. Two categories with X gums in them would make them guaranteed 50/50. This gives you the option to remove some of the RNG to make it more bearable.

If the devs add more buffs, split them to different gums. 3 buffs in one category is the absolute maximum there should be. Otherwise I quite enjoyed the process of gathering up all the ingredients and preparing, took me 5 days total to figure out what I should collect and then actually collect them.

And keep in mind I skipped all the low level forging and went straight for the big stuff. The system is endgame, and it should be hard to master. No ready recipes in the forge please. An AOE augment would be fine, that could give you the ability to actually collect the gems yourself and not buy the coils, but just one augment per hammer so that forged hammers have a place in the harder planets to make them better than augmented.

8 Likes

Forging isn’t endgame. It’s to smooth the progression curve in going from one tool to another in quality. That’s what it was designed and intended to be for. How players use it compared to its intended purpose is entirely different.

I still think the system could offer a better crafting experience to players.

I would argue that augmented tools should be implemented in a way that makes them equivalent or balanced with forged tools, not necessarily better or worse. Many players are in the “forge hater” boat, and I don’t think they should be forced to use the forge.

1 Like

Having two paths to the same end result, where one has rng and one doesn’t, sounds weird to me. Why would people use the rng path?

1 Like

The non-rng path requires materials of a comparable grind

2 Likes

I’ve tried to use the Forge since the changes. The mat requirements are still madness, even before the terrible RNG (because RNG is always terrible).

I’ve just had to accept that I’m never going to be forging myself.

Get rid of the RNG.

Give me precise recipes so I don’t have to “figure it out.”

Or give me a way to craft permanent augments to give nessisary abilities like 3x3 AoE, area gather and light to tools.

I need to give it another try but there should, at least, be a recipe list in the augments section.

3 Likes

I hate mining can we please have a simple recipe to craft gems? Makes no sense to force people to mine if they don’t want to.

I also hate crafting foods and brews can that be simplified so I only need a simple mat to make my teaching pies? No sense in forcing people to craft or gather if they don’t want to!

See where I’m going with this?

You don’t have to forge…

5 Likes

So the grinds are comparable, why do the ring path?

These are not equivalent.

Comparing mining to forging would be “I break this rock, sometimes I get rock, sometimes I get growth. Sometimes i get rock, but in a color that’s not the one I was going for. But rock isn’t guaranteed.”

It’s the RNG. The RNG is terrible.

If I’m going to spend my free time for a week to gather all the mats, I want to know the effort will produce what I want, not just result in a wasted week.

1 Like

Next time I see you on I will give you some foring help. It’s not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

2 Likes

I mean, I see where you’re going, but it’s a problem with conflicting perceptions of “wasted work” with the RNG path vs. the intended “reward for some calculated risk” perception. In order to get the maximum achievable results, a gamble is required, or else you’re out of pocket for some of your coin or materials to get someone else to do it for you anyway

1 Like

The post I replied to said the same things I did about mining except they were talking about forging.

I just forged 32 diamond 3x3 hammers, no quirks, no defects, all as I wanted them, in fact better even…

I don’t see a reason to simplify it because some people think it’s too difficult or not fun because then we have to change every aspect of the game someone might not like…

1 Like

I just wanted to note that I’m not arguing to change forging, I’m asking to add a competitive alternative