Please Remake the Forging System

But the difference is luck.

When you break a diamond seam, you get diamond.

When you break a Rock, you get rock.

You don’t break a rock or diamond and get sponge or growth.

I’m glad you got a great roll on your hammers. But you could have just as easily gotten useless garbage.

2 Likes

This is what I see happening in the future when more boons are added to Forging.

If there are 10 Special type Boons you can put on a tool and you’re going for level 4 AOE to get that nice 3x3 aoe on it, you’re going to up your Special Gum stacks. That’s an investment of Vigour. Now you want the Damage Boon. Now you have to stack Effect Gum. More Vigour investment. If there’s an equal amount of Boons of each type of effect, (ease, special, effect, etc.) then you’re running a huge risk of getting one effect over another. You only have 1800 Vigour and Stability. Gums take 50 Vigour. Even if you’re only stacking 3 or 4 Gum stacks to get whatever Boon you want, it’s going to be 150+ Vigour. Take into account Trait Reduction Gum and that’s even more Vigour being used up.

Now you look at how many pastes you can use and if you use any of those you’re spending even more Vigour. Even with the use of Vigour Catalyst 1 or 2, you’re still going to run out of Vigour way before you get the effects you want on your tool. You’re going to burn through all that Vigour and if you don’t, you’ll waste Stability points with Unstable Compounds quickly to try and level them up.

That’s a nightmare to have to deal with in the future and I highly doubt the developers will never add more Boons to forging.

Eliminating the RNG aspect of it and replacing it with something a lot more rewarding will ultimately appeal to a lot more players. It isn’t about “who likes or is good at it” vs “everyone who doesn’t”. It’s about fundamentally looking at the system and understanding that it it doesn’t have some sort of fix now before more Boons are added, then it will be an absolute waste of time for the majority of players to try and do.

I strongly implore James and the other developers to seriously look at forging in its current design and really look at how adding more Boons will affect the experience of forging. I seriously doubt it will a positive experience; even for those that love it.

2 Likes

And this isn’t really true for people who know how to forge well, either but I know why people feel this way! The forge system is fine once you master it, but it’s a little weighty. And some people don’t want to risk anything ever, which I think is totally fine if they have to hustle for it.

If we weren’t risking the rarest mats in the entire game, then RNG wouldn’t be as much of an issue.

So I blew some tallow and pulsating orbs, who cares?

But the last time I looked at the forging mats, they listed things I had never even seen before…and I have been playing since PS4 launch.

Rare mats or RNG. One or the other, not both.

1 Like

I think I see what you’re saying. You mean forging + roadrunner feathers? I heard someone say they had to use 5 transmute with 4 gums active to get the correct boon. That is a crime against humanity. :sweat_smile:

well getting a diamond seam is RNG, amethyst and emerald are even more RNG since they spawn close or into lava directly.

It’s just risk and rewards, I can aim for t8dmg hammer + aoe and ill get 9 time on 10 try, the 10 try might be even better or worst in that case it’s a lost and an item sink.

2 Likes

Guys, it’s not hard to TLDR all this.

Devs wanted to make a complicated RNG system that only a few players would use, to create a specialized economy, so the people who didn’t want to use the system would then buy the tools created from the minority of players who do.

Except they didn’t realize it’s much easier to just play a different game.

There are countless great new games releasing every month. I’m sure a lot of people get to a point when they ask themselves, “I could forge, which I dislike, or I could rely on other people in-game, which I don’t want to do, or, I could find a new game.”

1 Like

Same goes with all thing in game, I could farm amethyst but im always dead due to lava, I could buy them but I don’t want to. We have full new game out there I could play those instead.

Same goes for anything in game, I don’t like hunting meteors, It way to random they never drop and when they do I get insta-killed i could buy shard to other but I play solo so I can’t play the game i need to play new game or give me a way to get oortshard being AFK. plsss.

1 Like

Ok

10 chars

First time I’ve read the forums in a while. I basically stopped playing when forging turned into a slot machine like interaction. I wish that choice had not been made.

1 Like

Nope.

The difference is knowing what to do in different situations and states, when to take a gamble, when not, etc., etc.

And

Not getting extremely, extremely unlucky.

There’s a difference.

Forged about 50 items past evening, all went perfect, if that is luck I should play the lottery more often I suppose…

When I get extremely unlucky, or, and that is 9 times out of 10 when I get a result I am not all that happy with, I made a stupid mistake myself, and even then, the, what you call ‘useless garbage’, is still perfectly fine for lower level planets…

1 Like

Then I also want a competitive alternative to all the other things one can do in this game to acquire certain items.

Deal?

I’ve been playing since PS4 launch and I have absolutely no issues getting these ‘rare mats’ in large quantities and I can handle the RNG…

Look, I’m all for tool augments that can give some extra damage, extra action speed, 3x3, etc. just like with slings and bombs. But in such a way that forging is still going to be beter, just like with slings and bombs…

LOL, yeah, true, but why does everything need to be simplified for the masses? Is dumbing stuff down not something that happens way to gosh darn much already?

Let’s change it so it’s like crafting, so everyone can do it. Then let all the posts roll in with complaints that everyone can do everything and that having a shop is worthless, oh wait, that already happened, but will just happen more…

1 Like

If you don’t like forging, ask someone else to do it for you. It’s that simple in an mmo, especially one with as diverse ‘occupations’ as Boundless. You’re not even supposed to do everything yourself. You can, but it’s hard as I’ve noticed. Don’t demand that the whole system be changed because you can’t get results from it. The RNG is something you account for, if there’s 3 boons in one category, on average you’ll have to transmute or deconstruct 66% of the time. Calculate that in to your material requirements for a given boon combination and vola.

And btw deconstructing is pretty good, a deconstruct 2 resin costs 13 coins in materials and gives you back (on average) half of the materials you used. If you just used a few gums and a few boon compounds, you can use that as a cheap boon “transmute”. It comes to about 100 coins worth of materials to reroll the first boon you got. Don’t start transmuting at that point and waste vigor and stability and a feather. This of course doesn’t apply to the most complex combinations from 3 categories, but for midrange forging (like my damage 7 aoe hammer) use deconstructs especially since you aren’t that restricted with deck slots if you’re not going for a hard forge.

1 Like

Sure! If you have some good examples of alternatives, I don’t see why not!

Nah, this is the person who keeps complaining about how “extremely rare” shadow orbs are. And continued said complaints after I explained to them where to find as many as they wanted. It’s just laziness.

I doubt people bought Boundless because of the Forging system, and of those who still play and like Boundless, I doubt they would have stopped playing if all that development time on the Forge had been spent adding in Farming and other features instead.

1 Like

Apparently you were not paying attention in that same thread when I said I was wrong about thst.

Have to agree with Aenea, i also dont love gem mining. Instant gems please. And yes that has an rng element to it, unless you can see through blocks and know where they are exactly. In which case i would like instant xray specs too please.

We should just make the whole game creative mode. And start every character on level 200. Then no one has to put in any effort for anything!

1 Like

The thing is people are going to complain no matter what. This should never be a deterrent against positive change.

Also, even if forging is easier, it won’t make shops worthless. That isn’t how the economy works. The coin value of the forged items would go down. This doesn’t inherently make shops worthless. Again, this isn’t a thread about the economy. There are a lot more factors that go into what would slow down the economy than just one set of items. Again, not an economy thread.

Why? Cause it helps with player retention. You think if things stay the course like they are and the game is full of more content that people will just keep playing? I don’t have a crystal ball that tells me the answer. Nor do you, nor does James. But I do know that historically MMOs have had to change their positioning originally from day one design to accommodate and appeal to a larger range of players.

Boundless looks good and has a few things going for it that other games don’t offer. That’s good. But it isn’t enough or it would be doing the trick already. It was good to see that over the weekend there was a peak player count that I saw almost hitting 500. That was a good Sunday.

I can agree that there are underlining issues though when it comes to things like player retention. Lack of content is one. Perhaps we’d be having a completely different discussion and conversation about forging if there was a lot more other stuff to do besides gathering, building, hunting and crafting. Things that break up the activities that we don’t like as much. This is coming from a miner who also doesn’t like mining but does it anyways cause it’s a means to an end for what I want to do and is worth the time investment since it yields a 100% predictable result.

So yes, let’s simplify it and make it so everyone can do it. Doesn’t mean everyone will start forging. The thing I think would solve a lot of the concern about that is if there were more Boons and way more items you could forge but didn’t have to worry about RNG. Even if the recipes were progressively more expensive the better level Boon you were crafting.

Btw, thanks for not resorting to petty insults like other people have used in the thread. You’re awesome for that.