Prestige buffered regen

But that’s not true.
Currently, say your beacon goes wild.
You’ll have two problems :
• It will quickly start to regen. Again, I use the Raxxa Empire situation that happened yesterday as an example.
• Some people will try to scavenge it before you can re-plot.
With the whole Ruined plots idea, if we’re talking about a high-prestige-place, you temporarily eliminate one problem.
The difference between the two problems is that one is systematic. The other isn’t.

Now if it’s true that some players do use hacks to scavenge, to be there as soon as a beacon goes wild, that needs to be adressed, no doubt about that.

You wouldn’t. Some would. Again, just yesterday, some nice guys spent some time, energy and plots to try and save as much of the plots of the Raxxa Empire that went wild. You don’t see to give guys like them enough credit.

That wouldn’t be a perfect solution either. The time spent building would still be lost. I mean, what’s the most important to me about my build is not the blocks I used. If I fail to refuel one day, you can gift me all the blocks back, that’s not gonna prevent me from quitting the game.

With my idea, some guys come to scavenge. If I’m lucky enough, they don’t dig in enough to make it go below the ruin-threshold : the biggest part of the build is still there. They have looted what they deemed to be the most valuable, I don’t care as much. If I’m able to re-claim the plots, I’m fine with that.

It’s all a question of mindset.

I come from Creativerse. That game doesn’t have systematic world-regen, and plots are 64x64x64 blocks.
But it has in-game moderators who keep an eye on each world/server, discuss with the other players and make the call to remove the builds. Until recently, we had to do that MANUALLY. No magical regen bombs.

What I’m mean is that I could laugh when you say throwing one or two regen bombs would be a job.
If I find scavenged ruins I wanna remove because they’re located where I wanna build, and all I have to do is equip a regen bomb and right-click, that’s hardly an issue.

Again I wonder. That was before the plot system. There were no regen bombs, right? No world-regen whatsoever?

Creativerse is meh. F2P. Played it and Boundless is way better.

Not gonna argue there, I’ve stopped playing CV a year ago.
BUT it does have a lot of things Boundless doesn’t have and should have.
Blueprints, biomes, more character customization, private worlds, way more block variety and so on.

Note that Biomes in CV is pretty blah. They’re all standard cookie cutter across any server you visit. But yes, I get what you’re saying about implementing a similar concept in Boundless.

Slight tangent: Whenever people keep asking for Boundless to go F2P, I always point to the lack of development in CV as to why you shouldn’t. They had to shrink their team to a handful of devs who work on the game part time now since it doesn’t produce enough income

2 Likes

Not many were at city prestige level, but at the same time, I do not think it is fair to say because my build has high prestige it is worth saving and because you do not your build is not. Why should the player that is mainly a hunter and has no large build lose everything to regen and the player that builds primarily so they have a high prestige build not loose to regen? If a player has millions in prestige in storage it would not even be considered as part of determining if a build has reached city status. So I think it is immaterial if a build has reached city size or not.

As far as regen bombs, I do not really care how easy they are to make. I still do not think the remaining players should have to clean up after the ones that have left. Why should I have to expend the effort to remove another players build?

The main reason I am all for ruins is because this game badly needs dungeons, PVE, PVM, surprises, anything. There are no surprises when we mine, none when we build, none when we explore…unlike other games. If I’m mining in RS, I have a chance to get gold and a rare pet. If I’m doing dungeons in RS or Tr, I have a chance to get rare weapons/gear/money/etc. This game needs some fun injected into it.

This is probably going to come off as hella rude and a-holey, but looking back at EA discussions, there were issues with plotting, issues with ruins, etc. We still experience some of the same problems today…several years later. What if this game needs to take a few new turns in direction in order for it to progress beyond what it started out as? Maybe allow it to grow and evolve a bit so that other people will enjoy it…beyond the OG folks that are still around doing/saying the same things :woman_shrugging:t3:

You guys get hella respect for jumping on the BL train in EA, but maybe you folks need to let up a little bit - let the game morph and flourish so it’s around for years to come.

If everything stays pretty much the same, it may never really catch on and we might be left with no BL to play at all. I don’t think anyone wants that.

A lot of people want ruins to explore…regardless of whether they are game-created or player-created. The ones the devs have created look nice, but have zero unique items or surprises. Ones left behind by players have the chance of at least having some items in them. It has nothing to do with whether or not someone thinks they are ugly ruins, too many, etc. We already have to deal with that…people plotting 1/2 regen’d roads and builds that we have to look at or build around. Maybe player-created ruins would deteriorate at a super slow rate. Just because some EA folks didn’t like ruins, doesn’t mean everyone else wouldn’t like them. This game needs to appeal to a larger audience. More things to do. More fun. More.

7 Likes

The thread I was talking about was only a few months ago.

World regen has existed for a VERY long time. I am pretty sure it was before the plot system because when I joined the game they basically had recently introduced plots if I remember right. A long time member can correct me where I might be wrong because some of that was before my time here.

Regen bombs came from a suggestion I made after there was complaints about cities that would never allow regeneration on empty plots because people were running by all the time. I started pushing the narrative to get this fixed because I wanted my tree parts back in a city I was making… Bombs were being introduced and if I remember right James thought it would be a good idea to merge bombs and my real push to allow some way for regeneration of wild areas in cities, etc. BOOM - regen bombs.

I still agree that worlds would get way too messy as the player population picks up without the regen layer that exists. I do support a variety of things people bring up here as well as “ruins” but do not agree that regen and those needs to be linked.

Last time I checked, CV only has 8 world templates. They’re not randomly generated or anything.

I knew their team was small, but I wasn’t aware it was because of F2P. Interesting.
And it’s true, they’ve been working on their ‘block painting’ feature for months now.
But I don’t think Boundless’ team is all that big either, though.

I like both sides of this discussion. Wouldn’t mind it staying the same, but I think the ruins ideas here are really cool. However the ruins idea reminds me of another idea I had in the past that probably wouldn’t work due to, as was mentioned here, server overload.

I wanted to make a massive volcano on Sorissi back when I had like 100 total plots. Thought it would be cool if we could do some non-regen terraforming to change the environment without having to plot it all. The ruins idea would work for that. Plot it once, build it, then let it fall to ruin… but what if everyone kept doing that, over and over? That system could easily be taken advantage of and I doubt if anyone came across some massive build that was in ruined state that they would feel comfortable editing it with potential backlash from a nearby city or something.

Seems like it would be too much to handle.

Yeah, maybe 15-25 people. Not all devs

1 Like

The implication that just because someone played in EA means they are unwilling to let the game change is patently false and really kind of offensive. As someone that played in EA have never said the game did not need to find a way to appeal to more players and keep players playing. However, I will stick with my experience in EA and say allowing builds to exist and not regen will end up creating issues rather than solving them.

If the entire point is to allow for players to leave and comeback then maybe the push needs to be for the storage system James had mentioned. When a beacon expires, a build slowly “deteriorates” and all the blocks go into some form of storage. I would think you would want to freeze out anyone from plotting or taking blocks to prevent duplication of blocks and if the owner refueled the beacon mid-stream then the deterioration would stop and the missing blocks would be in storage.

All this does is remove the ability for other players to scavenge other builds.

1 Like

If these became ruins, you or other people would be able to remove them. They would have regen’d slowly at their own natural pace, or you/others could speed it up w a regen bomb.

Side note: A lot of people scoff at having ref meta rocks laying around or what have you from abandoned builds…I can still remember being way too happy when I came across some expired beacons that had nothing more than ref meta blocks and a few other basic supplies. It’s an element of fun for newer and lower level players. Even if the maxed out players are dismissive of it - consider the entire community - including noobs, kids, etc. Finding free things can be fun for some.

2 Likes

Yup, I included a disclaimer lol. The game can’t ignore people’s complaints if it’s going to survive. I keep seeing the same people saying the same things over and over. Maybe things need to change. How long can this game stay around with 50-200 active players? I look back at historical #s and we’re getting real close to EA #s. That can’t be a good thing.

Giving people back a few stacks of blocks they lost from a build they had will not keep players. Maybe it took someone 7 months to build…what about their time? What if they used IRL $ to buy cubits to build it? That’s the equivalence of someone smashing your lego castle, then handing the pile of legos to you in a box. You’re still gonna be salty and not want to play anymore or trust them.

Storage in the sanctum won’t keep people.

Maybe not, but if has been stated the builds can be scavenged by other players then a player comes back to no build or maybe half a build with all the valuable blocks taken or the entire build regened so they come back to nothing and are frustrated and leave the game. So you do not keep players this way either.

If the builds exist forever then we run out of space. You end up with the developers running servers with planets covered in abandoned builds and who is going to pay for running those? The players that have left or the ones still playing?

Where is the happy spot where every player gets to keep what they have no matter what and the planets do not run out of space?

I think there needs to be a new beacon/plotting system. The current one is causing way too many issues, even after all these years. It’s running off new players. It’s a huge cause of stress in more ways than one. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Sorry for the confusion but that comment I made was about things before a regen bomb. Things would not ever regen because a person would run by and and the tree parts wouldn’t return. Regen was stopped when a person ran by within 8 plots originally I think… they shrunk that some to less plots. Now obviously things are different with regen bombs allowing us to speed up that process.

Personally I am more worried about the holes and floating stuff and other junk that would be left than a few pieces here and there… It is the huge messed up terrain that bothers me most… if that filled in and the floating stuff went away then I would be more open to leaving stuff around.

I understand this, but we have this now…even without slow regen, ruins, etc.

Meanwhile, I’ll stick with saying that I’m not arguing for the removal of world-regen, even though some of you keep simplifying the Ruins idea as such.

There could be potential for some abuse.
But I would think that if you do that, you’re aknowledging that it’s fair game for anyone to take over the ruined plots you left.

Pardon my ignorance, but what’s the #s? Is that some indication of the number of players?
It was @AvaDancer who wrote in another thread the Steam charts :

Those are launch #s verses now #s —the ones I’m talking about are
EA #s were below 50-100…we are approaching those #s

For four to eight hours but not 12-24-perm or whatever the new system might be set at.

People need to understand though that regen is 1 server layer that controls everything. I don’t know if they will or can find a way to split up the regen into 2 layers and handle “resources” in one and “player junk” in another.

It still seems the better approach to “ruins” should be player or dev assets that are introduced on worlds as something we can explore instead of “stuff left over” from players that left the game.

1 Like