Prestige on Gleam - Refined Gleam too high

Dear community, developers,

Gleam is a fairly easy to get material and has a nice shine. Last patch the materials required for lanterns got increased which was good.
However, in my opinion the prestige achieved by using refined gleam is way too high (average around 17 per block). Material is very easy to craft and compared to bricks avg 18 prestige per block I do not find it justified. It would be better to have equal or lower prestige similair to regular stones. I think around 5 prestige per refined gleam is justified but I wonder what the rest of community thinks?

Right now people are creating huge dumps of refined gleam (towers blocks and platforms) in order to overtake capital city prestige. They are not building anything decent but just pooping gleam blocks out.

I really hope this can be changed since a lot of people try to put effort in making nice looking buildings and it’s not fair a refined gleam dump is valued more than most regular building stones.

15 Likes

would also like to see a option to upvote builds adding to prestige, although shiny buildings are pretty nice

7 Likes

I agree with how easy gleam is to get. There are many colour of gleam that come in low quantities, but certain types can be found in thousands in a single place.

I tested how fast I can get gleam and yesterday I mined over 4k gleam in just 1h. If I refine that I get around 5.5k refined gleam (100k prestige or so).

Now if I wanted to get the same amount using bricks I would have to gather way, way more material and go through more crafting steps, one of which involves using sparks and one involves using fuel.

As it is right now, decorative stones and bricks are worthless compared to just mass-farming gleam and making a huge block/tower or whatever.

Also, I realize that there is apparently system that punishes you when too many blocks of the same color/type are placed next to each other, but I can assure you: this system does not work properly. If it worked properly people would not be abusing gleam.

In my opinion gleam lanterns should stay the same prestige they are since they require sparks, ores and glowing lamella (fair change by the way, thank you, now they are harder to craft as they should be). REFINED gleam though, should have prestige value lowered to about 5-6 (base value of course) so people stop abusing it so much and maybe try making proper builds.

I understand that I can’t tell people how they should craft, though, but it’s something that pains me as a person who loves making good looking buildings.

6 Likes

100% agree. Gleam towers are crazy ugly and way too easy to make

3 Likes

Didn’t this already get reduced?

I believe it did, yes. But now that they made decorative blocks a bit harder to get and bricks still require multiple steps to produce… refined gleam is just way, way more prestige per effort than anything else.

Not to confuse with gleam lanterns though, as I said, they made them harder to craft so their high prestige value is justified in my opinion. Gathering glowing lamella might not be the hardest thing in the game but it takes way more than than spam-mining gleam itself.

Making refined gleam harder to craft would not solve this issue, and instead it would made gleam harder to access for new players while we could already amass tens of thousands of it. I would say lowering their prestige or changing the prestige calculation when multiple gleam is placed is the best way to go.

4 Likes

The scarcity / crafting dificulty of a block should ideally be considered in its prestige value. Pre-release gleam was definitely more scarce, and gleam towers had their place (i don’t like them but that’s up to me, i build with wood :man_shrugging:)

The newer planets have made gleam much more accessible, for which I’m thankful, just maybe their prestige should reflect this.
At the same time, i know many players would oppose what is essentially suggesting that prestige be taken away after the fact… its surely a pickle…

2 Likes

Totally agree.
But if they change the prestige per block what will all the people do with their gigantic gleam castles?
some have spend too much hours to be nerfed like that.

2 Likes

It does not punish you if you have many same blocks in chunk without variance. Why would it punish you? Instead there are a bonus precents to your prestige if you have enough variance in your blocks.

They will keep them, of course. If they delete them just because gleam prestige got nerfed that means they didn’t build it because they think it looks good, but to gain pure prestige. Nothing stops them from building another one using brick or decorative stones.

I really don’t mind people who build gleam structures that look good. There are multiple of those and they really look nice. What I have in mind are people who put plots on top of each other and build a 8x8 tower of refined gleam that reaches the sky. Maybe there are people who think those look good, but we all know most of them are building it just to gain free points. And the only reason they are made of gleam is because it is the easiest material to get that gives the most points in return.

6 Likes

Or revert the changes to bricks and decorative block recipes?

I don’t even mind that people can use gleam as a prestige anchor. Eventually it’ll switch to gem blocks or whatever the next metagame will be for prestige chasers anyway so changing the prestige value of refined gleam would have a short term effect at best.

I just wish the people that are into this practice would have the common decency of building their solid prestige vault cubes underground instead of going up to build height limit so as to not be an eyesore from halfway across the planet.

8 Likes

I’m 100% all about this. Gleam is literally all everybody uses. They don’t even use it for a light, they use it for a wall,tower, floor, just about anything. Sure its cool and nice, BUT ITS TOO BRIGHT. Half of the time I walk into Ultima Guild City, I have to squint sometimes. All that gleam is gonna give me carpal tunnel lol.

I’m not being rude or anything to anybody, but nobody is creative when it comes to Gleam. I’ve seen a few places where I admired the gleam work, and others is just like… dude, are you that lazy to cover your entire settlement in gleam? Where is your creativity?

5 Likes

I realised reading this topic that it is indeed unfair to lower prestige of existing builds. I think in this case would be more fair to up the prestige for bricks, decorative rocks and refined rocks to show a justified prestige value in comparison to the refined gleam.
I don"t think that current prestige on refined wood and refined stones are equal to refined gleam prestige? I would also expect bricks and decorative rocks to be atleast double the value? Or is that unreasonable?
I really hope developers can take this into consideration

3 Likes

Actually the easiest solution could be just replace recipe with new glem which would have less prestige.
Existing refined gem blocks would be unchanged, but everything new would have less prestige.

Just add wax to the gleam refining process :joy::rofl::laughing: :crazy_face:

10 Likes

Make a 5 point skill you have to spec into for mining gleam :joy: and another 5 skill points for building with it :joy::joy:

People will make giant prestige towers regardless of what you do to the preatige of gleam. If it gets lowered for gleam they’ll make it out of something else. Give it enough time and you’ll start to see gaint decorative gem towers instead.

Its more about not liking the builds people make and less about what they are making them out of. If these towers were made of any other 1 material would you lile them any more? I’m guessing no.

2 Likes

People aren’t going to be happy I guess until refined gleam is worth less than refined timber.

I think refined gleam, rock and wood should all be the same prestige value as they all require the same level of tech to produce and you can gather them at roughly the same rates.

EDIT: I realized I didn’t state my thoughta clearly in my previous post.

EDIT 2: I forgot refined gleam requires skill points to craft where rock and wood does not. So it should be valued a little higher.

2 Likes