Private Planet ReBuild Option

That is why I did this. For me I don’t want to risk a paid planet for a single roll of the RNG dice and be stuck with it. I feel many others wouldn’t like that as well and it would actually get us more bad reviews. A simple disclaimer that rebuilds take time or whatever at least allows people to decide.

Water is set for 3 levels i think, also you can turn on lava in place of water.

Note: this is not true per Luca’s post below.

The devs don’t use world builder for their worlds though per something Ross shared a bit ago. I can provide a link if needed once im back at my computer.

How much backlog time would be possible though?

If this feature proves popular enough, it could be like the states currently dealing with unemployment crisis and taking 17 weeks to get sorted due to overwhelming demand and limited skilled claims adjusters. Seems quite possible we might see something similar in regards to dev time and planet handling/manicuring time.

If that is going to be the case, then it needs to be made very clear up front what potential wait times could be.(i see you addressed this somewhat in a later post - definitely imperative that people are made aware as you suggest) People asking and expecting one thing without realizing the potential fallout in regards to others things isn’t the same thing. As long as the players are educated on the ramifications that type of detailed handling involves, then sure, let there be a backburner of planets to get to.

but then how do they decide who gets dealt with first? Is it in order of planet generation? Does the player keep priority until the world is gotten just right, or does the player skip back to the queue if they don’t like the 2nd rebuild?

Hmm. Didn’t know that. I wonder if their generator follows any of the World builder rules?

All the worlds are generated by the world builder

5 Likes

Luca can you tell us if it’s possible to “push a button” and have a world rebuilt using the same profile with no dev/admin intervention?

I realize a GUI for the command would have to be added but are we talking about extensive development vs. manual intervention, or is this something that could basically be “enabled”?

I mean, if it’s not an NDA violation :grinning:

1 Like

Well this is excellent information. I misunderstood what Ross wrote here.

Within the world builder itself it’s as simple as changing the seed. You can keep quite a few things (colors, prefabs, decorations, etc.) constant while just changing the seed.

I think Ross describes it well here.

1 Like

Sure, sorry if I was unclear.

I’m wondering if the world server can do this (regenerate from the same seed and come up with different terrain details) or if it would have to be regenerated manually in another environment.

Xalda posted a range of poll options but I would be happy to see the world regenerated from scratch, even with no changed settings, but different terrain. As a minimalist approach to the issue at hand - this would be great and help to address the largest question I’ve had since the announcement.

Ideally, of course, it would be nice to be able to ‘adjust the sliders’ for your world but that level of customization isn’t even currently on the table.

By terrain do you mean the top layer of clay/peaty/silty that covers the world? Or are you talking about the actual shape of the mountains and hills and valleys, etc.?

For the former, yes this is possible. Keep the seed the same and change the strata config and you can get a hill that was covered in silty covered in peaty.

For the latter no. That’s the entire point of the seed, to control the randomization. If you use the same seed within the various noises the noise randomization will always been the same.

If you open up world builder (or check out my video series) you can see that they actually do some really cool things with this within the different dev-provided configs. This post of mine kind is a “basic” example that took me a hot minute to figure out :rofl:

Honestly I am not sure and would leave it up to James and the team. I’ve dealt enough with them around development, timing, and how they approach things to trust that they would make the best decisions considering the technical and work effort behind it.

My job here was to mostly bring up the point so they do see how important “liking the planet you get” is to everyone instead of just a side comment I had with him during a chat. In the end they will do what they think is best based on the overall roadmap and work efforts they have for this and other upcoming features. I just know they don’t like to go back right away and tweak things so it could be a while before they come back to revise this.

2 Likes

For me I’d like all… the look and feel. Ultimately I would need more technical details and haven’t had the chance to really get into it so we know how easy or hard it is.

I don’t have any world builder access, so I’m asking blindly. Here’s a scenario:

I request a lush world and it gets spun up and I go to it to find it’s 70% water covered with mostly mountains and ravines, while I’m particularly after a heavily forested planet large flat areas and with “large lakes/small seas” vs. “vast oceans”.

How much work is required to change that? Not to hand terraform it creative style, just to get something a little smoother with less water?

If it can be “regenerated” with the same seed and another pass through the generator I can see that being an unattended option, possibly available at no extra charge.

If a dev/admin has to create a whole new seed to generate a different planet, well that’s a level of personal customization that they have specifically said they’re not going to provide.

If the ‘seed’ affect on the RNG is so strict/detailed that regeneration will reliably replace the same terrain every time, that’s interesting but it changes how I perceive the phrase “random terrain generation” in this context.

1 Like

In this case changing the seed would do nothing. It would only move the oceans and mountains around and give them different shapes. To get less water and more heavily forested areas you’d need both a new heightmap and new biomes.

In terms of rework…could take between 1 minute and…well for me it’d be probably 10ish hours. For Ross or Luca, less. It totally depends on if they’d just take from the available nodes or build a new one from scratch.

All right, thanks for that.

This means manual intervention per “re-roll” and seems unlikely to be allowed for free and especially multiple times within the sort of budget I’m hoping these planets allow.

2 Likes

Well it totally depends on the amount of customization they allow, if any. If they just plug in a new random heightmap and swap out biomes thats super easy, tskes no time at all. The trick is getting it to where you’ll be satisfied with it. That’s hard to do without a lot of back and forth with you.

I havent yet figured out are these rented planets be done the same way as planets that some players create (that got specific backer pack) to make new public planet?

Or was is for private server? I think it was public that it was in “perk” list.

AFAIK that was the opposite.

The perk was that they got to design a planet, and it would be made into a public (presumably permanent) planet.

In terms of what was advertised, this is a rented world attached to the public universe, that follows the rules of the public universe.

So unattached rental worlds that don’t have to follow the rules and also the backer perks are not here yet.

Right. In terms of the poll I could hope for a simpler option but it doesn’t sound like this could be included with what I hope will be the price range for the planets as advertised.

Maybe something they could do later with an additional setup fee, though :crossed_fingers:

Is there really any point to the ‘Rebuild with the same settings’ option? Unless you start changing settings, surely it’s going to rebuild in the same/a very similar way, such that if you weren’t happy with it the first time, chances are you won’t be happy with it after a rebuild either?

1 Like