Private Server still planned?

My biggest problem with the whole “i want to be able to host private servers” are

1. the game is a god damn MMORPG, and as such i believe there are things you couldnt do alone
  2. Tell me honestly, how many do you think would rent a hosted server from them if they could host their own? 1%? 2%? They need a way to make money, they are after all a making a BUY TO PLAY GAME

Also the “its too old information” not really. you should pretty much just go with what they say unless they change it. also if you want proof

Taken from the official site “Personal world rental”. Should be good enough right?

also “can you find proof for it being buy to play?” Dude… there is a line between being kept up to date and radical scepticism. right now you are basically saying “anything not said RIGHT THIS MOMENT is outdated information”

They arent just going to change the fundamental selling point that the game is buy to play, they would never freaking get away with it. But if you are willing to pay, its a win win. You can pay for renting servers then :smile:

2 Likes

Agreed - just because you have not had an update on certain aspects of development in 10 months, there is absolutely no reason to assume that that information has changed at all. Especially when it is being used as a selling point on their main website.

To put it in a different light… I haven’t caught a number 12 bus in 10 months… the sign at the bus stop still says 12 and the schedule still shows the times for the number 12… I’m not instantly assuming that the number 12 no longer stops here.

Ok, basic example, but you get the idea. Unless we have been told otherwise, the information that has been provided (no matter how recently or not) should be taken as the most up-to-date until it is superseded with new information.

From what I can ascertain, the devs are still working frantically to get everything transferred over to the C++ code base, so that we can all enjoy a smoother, faster, more resilient gaming experience (across both PC and PS4 platforms). Until that is done for all the current functionality, I would imagine no new features would be introduced until they are happy that it is robust enough going forwards.

Don’t get me wrong, I too am eager for new information about upcoming features and gameplay and the next release (whenever that is), but I’m not going to constantly harass the devs to give me an answer to something that may or may not have changed in the last 10 months.

I think this is meant as “buy once and play forever” not “pay” to play (which would infer a monthly subscription). I can only see Pay to Play being applicable on private rented servers, where there is an additional overhead to the core game.

My assumptions on this would be:-

1. Privately run servers (as opposed to privately rented servers) are a possibility, but would be much further down the development road and definitely not for 1.0 release.
  2. Unknown, but I guess they will try and make it hostable on as broad a range of hardware as possible. I would personally say >2GB ram though.
  3. I would assume so - they did mention that server admins can control who can place beacons etc, so a whitelist would certainly be on the cards also (but I would imagine this would only be on privately run servers, not privately hosted).
  4. I would say No to privately run servers (because of possible modding etc) but definitely Yes to privately hosted servers.
  5. Assume Yes for privately run servers.
  6. Again, Yes for privately run servers.
  7. For privately run servers … a definite No (especially if 5 & 6 apply!).

These are my assumptions only, so don’t quote me on it!

1 Like

i know, i was quoting him without using the inbuild quote system.

1 Like

Yeah to clear this up again … thanks that you all pointed this out. i already quoted the FAQ side in the really beginning … maybe it was unclear that i already accapted this.

EDIT: Yes you are right, i was lazy with the wording :smiley: buy2play not pay2play

2 Likes

People would rent official worlds for the same reason people still pay on the official WoW server and pay a monthly fee instead of playing on one of the private servers for free: To be connected to the main universe.
I´m also pretty sure that ,if they don´t allow/include a private server hosting plugin, someone will just crack B< and make one (if Blizzard cant make a sufficient protection I highly doubt that the small dev team of B< can make one)

3 Likes

because they have to pay to play the game on main server, you see? how many do you think would pay monthly fee for wow if they got everything they get now for free?

Sorry, completely useless comparison.

1. WoW is A subscription game
  2. It is one of the most played MMORPG’s and one of the most wanted on the market

So while people MIGHT be able to crack it, the question is how desirable would it be to do?

I honestly cant see why anybody would rent a server connected to the main server if the rules forced the servers to be the same and they had to buy it anyways. The only reason I see for people wanting their own server is so they can have “safe zones” if it is forexample a family which wants to play or a school or a company or what do i know. which would be gained through private servers.

I guess a medium+ sized guild might want to rent their own server - maybe denoting guild status … “we outgrew where we were, so now we have our own guild world”. Guaranteed there will be quite a few that do it.

4 Likes

Damnit, i was writing a long example but it deleted it so you will get a short version

Im afraid that guilds can just rent a server and blacklist everybody else. so they basically have an entire world to farm materials with no competition and then bring them to the real servers and destroy the economy.

For a comparison i made this

So i still think in most cases private servers will be the most used since it basically gives more freedom and is Free, which means that they will lose a big source of income.

1 Like

And that deffinetly solves the beacon problem, if you own a world you have close to infinite amounts of building space.

and farming space. and grinding space. and material space. you get the point

The size of the worlds basically allows this already. With regenration thrown into the mix the problem shouldn’t be competition but the amount of time you devote to collect materials.

1 Like

Not quite. For example they have said that minerals wont spawn the same place right? so say you have a mountain range where there grows gems, there might be 15 people mining it, 15 different people from different guilds, when it is emptied out there would logically be less materials next time it spawns, so the people will have to look different places. adding a bit of distance and seeking out of materials, now imagine a world where only a guild can build, destroy and basically interact with the world, or just completely banned everybody else. with that the guild can stay the same spot and get all the materials which were before split over 15 people. Admittedly the time would increase, but i think its safe to assume that it greatly reduces the distance you need to travel to find mats.

also ASSUMING we do get a lot of people playing and a decently packed population, it seems kinda… pay to win? that you can just avoid all the competition and buy a farming spot. But ofc i know they wont try to encourage that behavior. im just saying there is a possibillity that it will happen.

But on the other hand, it is a good example. maybe we will have enough space for it to not be a problem, or maybe we wont.

1 Like

You can easily get everything the main game offers for free within minutes, and yet there are millions of players that happily pay a fee just to be able to play on an official server.

@Stretchious beat me to it, the majority of servers will probably be rented to guilds for prestigious or economical reasons. A lot of players (including me) will probably also rent a server just for the joy of designing a world that is connected to the rest of the B< universe.

How do you know that one will have the option to blacklist everyone on his/her server?
Maybe you just cant place a beacon on a rented server without a permission or the bonus of renting a server is just a giant beacon in the middle of the world (like on Kovah) + the opportunity to design a world.
Those are things designers are for and I´m sure that the designers of B< will manage to implement privately rented worlds that are connected to the main game without breaking the game or the economy.

3 Likes

I don’t know whether that will be a feature or not … I would assume to allow for fairness, that they would only allow the restriction of who can place beacons, not who can come on to the world/server.

It would still mean that other players can still go there and mine resources, herd wilflife etc, but would not be able to have a permanent settlement there (or they could if the admin allowed).

You would still need to beacon the areas you want to keep, otherwise the world would just regenerate as normal.

Edit: as an aside, I guess having your own world/server would also mean that you could set where the capital city was located.

1 Like

Pretty sure i read about blacklisting and whitelisting somewhere, hopefully somebody else can find it.

Meh, it seems like you either refuse or cant see the difference. so im not gonna waste my time.

But i would be very interested in seeing a private server which mirrors the current game PERFECTLY with no bugs and no mods or anything else to change it. all i have found are servers which tried but are full of bugs. if you can find me that i will concede, if you cant… well then you are clearly wrong.

Here’s one from a while ago… not sure how much of it is still valid …

1 Like

Ah yeah that was prob what i was thinking off

I guess i took that as meaning “people cant affect the world” and not just “people cant destroy the blocks or place any blocks”

1 Like

You may well be right though. This quote was way back in March 2015 so it could have changed quite drastically since then - at least in the short term anyway!

Plus there is this comment which would seem to support your view …

Edit: Oops, didn’t mean to re-quote the whole paragraph!

2 Likes

Oh yeah forgot about that for a momen.

Hey everyone - I’ve very daringly posted a FAQ answer to this question.

I’ve been wanting to get the FAQ category going to help collect official answers to important questions. Hopefully this will make it easier for new and old players to know exactly what is happening.

Additionally, I appreciate that this thread also brought up other issues - which I can answer in other FAQs. But I didn’t want to pollute the focus of the FAQ and Answer.

7 Likes