Props Preview: Doors

Long time no updates from me, but don’t worry - I’ve been busy.

I thought I’d give you all a little preview of what I’ve been doing for the past few weeks. I’ve been making new doors! The doors currently in the game are some of the oldest assets we have, they’re not tintable, and they don’t quite fit with the look of everything else anymore. So, we’re making some new ones. Lots of new ones.

@Minyi drew up the set of excellent concepts that I’ve been using:

As you can see, you’ll be able to craft doors from wood, stone, metal and gleam - all of them will take their primary tint from the colour of the material you use, of course, and not only that but you’ll have three different choices of design per material type! They’ll work just like the current doors so you can make little one-block doors or much taller ones(the middle 1/3rd tiles!) and of course double doors.

So far, I’ve just today finished up work on the Wood and Stone doors. They’re not ready to go live yet - I can’t say when that will be, but I have to make all the metal and gleam ones first so it’ll be a little while longer :stuck_out_tongue: - but here’s a preview:

57 Likes

tumblr_inline_odxanixkSC1u42k4z_500

29 Likes

I love how you can see through parts of the door.

8 Likes

Hooray, Friday morning goodies. Both the concept art and in game assets look great! Much closer to the theme. Great work.

Curious, how will a player affect which style they make?

6 Likes

The details are down to the designers but I believe each design will be a different recipe.

14 Likes

Looks amazing… can’t wait ^^

1 Like

:scream:
I can’t pick a favourite!
They are all my favourite!! XD

2 Likes

Will there be a limit for the height of the doors? It looks like you can build them 1, 2 or 3 blocks high. The current doors can be higher I believe.

Looks great! Can’t wait!

1 Like

Wow these all look great! Can’t wait to see how we can fit them into our builds

1 Like

These doors can be as high as the current doors - the central part of each tiles upwards as high as it needs to go.

10 Likes

I still want redstone-like doors. These are nice, but I kind of want to make myself a large mechanical block moving vault gate.

2 Likes

Careful now. With doors that look this good, you might destabilize the economy as every player ends up using nothing but doors in their builds…

(I certainly plan to be part of that problem!)

5 Likes

i was paying so much attention to the door that I just noticed that sweet totem.

6 Likes

Nice concepts and models. I have to say I’m not as much of a fan of the more colorful doors, but most of the other ones look great! Adding these to the Dev Art archive now.

1 Like

I do hope they’re a bit thinner than the current doorway blocking bulkheads we currently have :wink:
I’d much rather have a single door doorway, but squeezing through sideways (feels like that) is a pain.

1 Like

forget

16 Likes

i feel like im forgetting somthing :thinking:
any way love the doors! great job devs :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

morty

4 Likes

Yes please! I want them!

1 Like

Ohhh man, those Doors are Sweet! I want the last ones on the Right Everywhere in my Town :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like