PVP -prestige needs perks- Ideas

I often daydream about PVP, and don’t think it’s necessary, but I think it’s possible with specific PVP planets. I used to have a ridiculously long write-up of a “minecraft mmo” as I called it 10 years ago and it’s crazy how many mechanics have already been covered by Boundless. There would need to be some big changes but I also think they could build a solid foundation on things like:

• Anyone can break beaconed blocks. For owners and those with perms, it would be as strong as any T7 or so. For ‘enemies’, blocks are extremely strong and would take a ton of time to break with the proper tool (impossible with others), but bombs deal a moderate amount of damage. Beacon controls, portals, and some other things are unbreakable (in this scenario, though we could go the route of total destruction).
  • New mats for PVP-related gear are only found on these planets, and that gear (weapons, armor, etc) is still valuable in PVE so big guilds and merchants would want their own little militia forces or bodyguards… introducing mercenaries!
  • Death penalty debuffs are increased substantially, so it wouldn’t be worth it for players to hop back into the fight and prolong a losing battle.
  • Players do not drop inventory (or maybe they do, future decision), but chests and storage can be destroyed and looted. Though valuables would most likely be returned home asap so I’m not sure how lucrative raids can be. Perhaps new incentives should be present.

Edit to Add- Catapults. Multiple blocks like machines set to mesh into catapults, with different parts used for different parameters (damage, range…) that can launch bombs.

Just a few thoughts that I think would essentially be possible with some tweaks. There are plenty more ways I think they could make PVP a reality without any non-PVP players even really noticing- other than the big ominous red portal scaring them away!

1 Like

If you drop a block of lava on someone, it’ll kill them…

Someone could potentially build a “pvp” arena, and use lava as the weapon. Attacking each other while avoiding the lava run off on the ground…

I’m surprised no one has made one yet to be honest.

2 Likes

Can we drop lava on T7 worlds? I guess you could do it given build permissions on a beacon, but how to make a game out of it, lava flows in all directions by default, limiting your own movement as well as the other person.

1 Like

Objectively correct on every front :clap:

I imagine liquid breakers would be just as important to protect yourself defensively and not screw yourself over offensively.

Each combatant gets 5 lava blocks. Arena size varies between duels and team deathmatches, but the ring itself is a reserved plot at sea level so you can plot under for the floor but randoms can place blocks. Allowable buffs can be worked out.

If one combatant is too aggressive and throws their lava down too fast, the more defensive one can snap all 5 up and have 10 to go into attack mode. I’d say grapples are allowed but we’d need to take measures to not let someone grapple high and avoid the fight…

To ensure no banned substances like healing potions make it in, we have to fill our inventory then drop it all in storage to show the full amount, then remove the allowed mats/tools?

I’m in.

3 Likes

I mean you can have PVP, but it will most likely be a setting on a private server or a mod, in either case they would probably be disconnected from the main universe since they dont follow the rules

See: Long term game funding

there is a lava arena in squanch ville

2 Likes

On the idea of PVP, I still think having organized guild wars would be interesting. This would also benefit players who built tanks or hunter citizens, seeing as a lot of people have gotten tired of traditional hunting.
Not entirely sure how the wars can be conducted, but maybe have a set time limit and designated land plots that act as “warzones” between each guild.

If you need to include incentives and new rewards to get people to participate in PvP, then there’s every chance that people don’t actually want the PvP, they want the rewards. I’d say it should be introduced as something without special rewards (at least initially), so the devs can get a feel for how much demand there really is for PvP.

Hell no… unless by ‘valuable’ you mean ‘Good, but no better of different than what you can get without doing PvP’. Nobody should be forced into participating in a playstyle they don’t like, and PvP as a playstyle is divisive enough without that on top.

3 Likes

What does platform hunting mean?

On some of the planets there are platforms built in the air right outside of the zone trigger. It helps trigger a meteor faster

PVP in boundless?
getting killed while harvesting gleam or orbs? spending hard earned money on exo trip to get killed? monsters already doing it :stuck_out_tongue:

NO THANKS !!!

the day Devs wil add open pvp to boundless it will be the day ill quit
(pvp dedicated world - i can live with it as long as noone will be able ti kill me anywhere else)

8 Likes

Here are a couple of videos from this summer, that show platform hunting. Each world has regions. When you cross into a region, you trigger a meteor. I like platform hunting & regular hunting.

2 Likes

+1 for most of these ideas, but t7 is savage enough without players being a threat.

2 Likes

I would enjoy having some PVP. They could do it on a special planet, say it would be like an EXO of Blood that comes out every 21 days for example … Or a permanent planet where 24 hours every 21 days there is a bloody moon and PVP is allowed during that bloody moon.

Reward for killing another player could be the EXP gain that one loses upon death. Let’s say that whoever loses, gives the EXP penalty he has to the winner.

I think that with something like that, with this kind of ligth PVP, those who want a little PVP from time to time to disconnect and those who don’t want PVP would not have conflicts.

1 Like

Or even a setting on a beacon to make that beacon a pvp zone- this would open up SO many mini games and competition and a new meta to enjoy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

For this, Corruption could be used as a material to produce the elements that are necessary for the coliseum by the lore, xD

I think it would be interesting even to see it as a spectator a 1 vs 1 fight in platforms and scenarios where they have obstacles and have to use all their ability. Giving rise to another reason to meet and socialize. It would be attractive content for streaming.

3 Likes

I’m not opposed to PvP zones, so long as there’s no reason for regular players who aren’t interested in PvP to go there.

That said, PvP takes a great deal of development and testing time. I’d much rather the developers worked on other things first.

10 Likes

Oh of course, like the warning you get when you’re about to walk through a portal and don’t have the protection skills for that type of planet. Boundless’, unofficial, motto “if you don’t like doing something, don’t do it” - and that of course means you shouldn’t ‘have/need’ to partake in anything you don’t want to :slight_smile:

Yeh I agree, a thought for the future perhaps :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I guess the thought at the back of my head would have been a PvP designated planet? Though if there were colours there people wanted, It’d cause conflict.

Someone’s building a nice garden, wants some of the green gleam from said planet, arrives with her tools, and is immediately killed and spawn camped.

It’s a great way to get people to join, and it’s also a great way to get people to quit. You basically just change the demographic of the game.

3 Likes