Q&A: Crafting

No more like non stat armor can take 10 time the beating of for example the armrings that actually gives stats so they actualyl stay alive long enough to actually feel that the nonstat armor is worthless

Yep, seeing hordes of naked people everywhere is going to quite destroy the atmosphere of the game.

Maybe a bit exaggerated but definitely true and imo a big issue with the planed concept(s).
I also don´t see a reason why anybody would put up with crafting wearables instead of spending time & ressources on weapons and rings (instead of maybe some bored players that reached endgame like you mentioned, but this should definitely not be the goal of the armor/wearable mechanic).

A really good question that might be worth its own thread

Well, the system @olliepurkiss described would force you to clutter your inventory with several weapons so you always have some spare ones when your ‘main’ weapon breaks.
And that´s a concept I absolutely can´t get behind of (I think most (ex)-Minecraft players know the annoyance that comes along with always carrying around 1-2 good weapons, 1-2 mediocore weapons, 3-4 good tools of each category, some mediocore tools of each category, etc…)

That´s a good point but this will be a problem anyway if we get a death penalty in any form.

3 Likes

I think this very problem is one of the reasons that the inventory system @ben showed us groups similar items in categories. I’m not saying that it fixes that annoyance, but it certainly helps.

4 Likes

People do that? I just keep track of weapon durability and keep 2 good tools of the ones I need.

Keeping mediocre tools at hand is not really necesary.

3 Likes

No but that’s why you need to have multiple weapons on you.

I,most of the people I played with and the YouTuber I watch(ed) all did this…

Definitely not necessary but I wouldn´t want to waste the durability of my ‘epic pickaxe of doom’ on some stone that is blocking my way.

If the epic pickeaxe of doom have a high nough durability I don’t think that is something people would worry a lot about, in minecraft stuff breaks after a few thousand uses even when they are diamond and have unbreaking, if we set the durability of said epic pickaxe for lets say… 15.000 uses you could use it constantly for around 4 hours of gameplay collecting resources without it actualyl breaking making the usetime so high that people would worry less about it.

2 Likes

Honestly, even though it’s a tad annoying, it’s also a tad enjoyable. Having to juggle types of pickaxes due to their durability, based on the material I’m mining, is an interesting decision Minecraft lets me make.

What I don’t like is having stacks of stone pickaxes (before becoming rich enough with diamonds) that I eat through because they’re the ones used most frequently and have the least amount of durability.

Having to carry and choose between different variations of an item based on the situation is an interesting gameplay choice. Durability leads players to make this choice.

Having to carry a stack of the same item because it doesn’t last for extended periods of time is not interesting gameplay. If durability isn’t tuned well, like in Minecraft, we get this.

5 Likes

But you have to mention that in MC you can also quite easily repair your tools multiple times.

1 Like

People don’t really use the repair function most of the time though, it is easier to just wear it down and make a new one.

Nope not at all.
Maybe if you have no enchantments but if you have the two best pickaxes you want to repair them instead of tediously combine books or pickaxes until you have all the enchantments again.

2 Likes

Greetings! I have been stalking the forums for a little while and watching game play videos. I am very intrigued by this game and I like most of what I see so far, and I plan to buy a package when work picks up. (Few weeks) I am a long time Minecraft vet.

I strongly approve of the consumed item economic system, it is the only way to achieve a good demand ratio to the supply.

In Minecraft Townes , within a month 9/10 items are worth very little. In games like Runescape, (I played when it was good.) most items last indefinitely. This is bad in the long run, when a sword is eternal, why buy another? When you can exploit the Towny plug-ins to keep your god gear forever, why buy someone’s items to build a replacement? (Assuming you don’t die alot, but then your eternal items just get resold, and in Minecraft potential supply exeeds possible demand)

However, I do think there should be a repair system. Let me finish, I believe it was Dark Age of Camelot that you could repair an item, but, not to 100% effectiveness, and eventually the item was no longer worth the cost of repair.

7 Likes

Also yes, in Minecraft only diamond equipment or a nice bow is worth repairing in most cases, I’m not familiar with tiers or materials in this game, I’d prefer to get some game play in before making too many suggestions but the no repair system at all through a red flag up in my mind.

3 Likes

Ideally I too would like to see a repair function of some sort- but not a 100% repair.
In fact, perhaps a repair function is not what we need, but some sort of maintenance function- a way to prolong the life span of consumable items, but at the cost of additional materials.

Some possible reagents to extend different item types:

Blades/Weapons and tools: Sharpening stones could put the edge back on a dented blade, and Oils could keep a weapon from rusting and wearing down.

Armor: Polishes to buff out scratches, (single use?) mallets to tap out dents, thread/patches to close gashes in leather and solder to repair holes in plate armor

These things could be sold at weapons shops for field repair and maintenance, but not restore an item to it’s full potential. I’ll let one of you math gurus come up with some formula for diminishing returns, but the end result should be along the lines of: The more resources you expend on an item, the longer it lasts, up to double the items standard life span.

Edit: In my opinion, low quality items made of wood or stone should not be repairable or maintainable. These resources are extremely abundant and there is little reason to extend their life spans.

2 Likes

They could very well be repairable if you are in a situation where you really have to. But the costs could also practically be the same or higher than just making a new one because the material is so abundant.
That way you could repair them but in most cases wouldn’t anyway.

2 Likes

It really depends on how technical you want to get as regards materials and items.

One of the huge advantages of bronze over flint for example was that you can recycle bronze, but if a flint broke the wrong way your screwed. Perhaps you could sharpen a stone edge, and in the case of the Aztec Macuahuitl (The plausible stone edged weapon longer then 10 centimeters or so.) could replace the obsidian shards, so I suppose you could repair lesser items…but I would quite limit the effectiveness of the repair. Having whittled spears, bows and arrows from wood, they end up breaking.

1 Like

I think it’s a big question, how much effort you have to do, to get a certain item and how long does it last.
I imagine legendary items of wow (tons of farm runs to create a single weapon).

I don’t see the point: why would someone do this effort, if at some point this effort will completely get lost? Furthermore, if some weapon and armor is necessary to fight certain npcs and if the npc (like a titan) needs several runs to do it, and each time you make a run your weapon runs out… wow, I can’t see the end of effort just to create my armor and weapons again and again… (or at least earn the coins to buy it again).

Furthermore, as @Heurazio said: weapon and armor is kind of reward for effort (progress). And certain effort I want to do once and not repeat all the time. It just unnecessarly kills time - and creates the feeling of getting “used” and bored to something.

Is this really throughthought to lategame content?

2 Likes

The thing is that we are not going down a super long progression path when talking wearables:

Not in strength anyhow.

Also I am quite sure for it to work the wearable and weapons need to hold more than a single boss. It is al about balancing needing to create a new weapon every hour is tedious, but if the casual players (playing a bit most days and putting in a few hours in the weekends) can go with it for lets say for 2 weeks, or maybe even higher it becomes rare enough to feel more like the regular gameplay loop.

The problem is that in most MMORPG you have maybe 80 level and therefore 15+ sets of gear you need to get and then throw away before reaching the top tier and even after thatyou have no reason to buy new weapons (if not for the skins or the slightly variate your playstyle anyway) this is seriously BAD for a player driven economy. People need to have someone they can sell their produce to, the resources in the game need to have a cycle or the economy will die.

Even if we where working with 15+ tiers in a player driven economy it would be BAD for the economy that the tools don’t break, especialyl at lower tiers the market would quickly flood with so many weapons, tools and armor that there would be no reason to make new ones.

4 Likes

I concur , I hate ‘equipment tier progression’ , as a legit gamer (No cheating in multiplayer) it’s very discouraging to continue acquiring THE BEST after hours or days or weeks of work…only to have it outdated in the next update.

Minecraft enchantments are a good start in breaking the progression cycle , every armor enchantment , like Protection (I always wear protection.) or Flame Protection is useful…but, in default, you can only have 1 type of protection per armor piece, meaning if you have Flame Protection your vulnerable to something else. In addition, some enchantments , like Thorns, drain durability faster, and the more enchantments you have on an item the more it costs to repair

How to make Equipment not follow a never ending cycle of tiers and balance the economy?
-Certain enchantments are incompatible with others or items, leading to a ‘rock paper scissors’ system
-The repair system is balanced as regards tier (I do think ‘Legendary’ or high quality equipment needs extra consideration) meaning well you can repair something, is it worth your time and materials?
-The repair system is not 100% effective , there are chances to break or damage the item, and it does not return to full effectiveness when repaired
-Eventually the item can’t be repaired/not worth repairing anymore, for higher quality I believe this should take longer, for wood, once , if that, for ‘bronze’ , many times. Steel is a very different beast from bronze, harder to make and fix. Could make for an interesting mechanic, ‘sure steel swords flex and have an sharper edge but we can cast these bronze swords in rapid succession’

Bronze is also naturally corrosion resistant. Bad steel, commonly called iron, rusts like a son of a gun.

Oh that’s another thing, environmental effects. Oxidation and rot?

1 Like

Well that sort of is the point…people will have to balance their wants/their wallets/what they need. If you’re going after a super difficult Titan or something then you’ll likely want to spend a bit more to collect better equipment before you go as the reward is worth it. But if you’re just going out and about mining then you probably don’t need the most legendary pike in existence or whatever.

Well this game is being built with social interactions and role specialization in mind. If you’re a fighter, then you’ll be spending coins or selling drops for weapons and wearables that a fellow guild-member or town-member or some travelling merchant makes. If you’re a crafter, you’ll be spending coins on materials needed to make your craft. If you’re a gatherer, you’ll be spending coins on tools and equipment needed to go out and survive in the world while gathering things. Everyone has something they’ll need to buy and it helps make a balanced economy.

I think the biggest problem people are having right now is that they’re thinking of this as minecraft still, where they envision themselves being a one-man-master-of-all. But role specialization is the name of the game here. Diversity is a focus in order to promote social interaction.

All you have to do is shift your thoughts from treating this like it’s a typical progression game. Or think of it like acquiring potions/food/enchants before raiding in WoW. Add weapons/armor to that list before tackling a Titan. Materials and drops from higher-tiered worlds are the end-game here, not legendary wearables and weapons.

Hopefully that helps explain their goal here a bit more.

3 Likes