Q: I'm having connection / lag issues - help!?

Another happy customer! :champagne: :tada: :trophy:

Can you confirm exactly which build you’re referring to here?

1. The default Steam version - which we call Live.
  2. The public testing Steam Beta - which we call Testing.
  3. The private networktest Steam Beta - which we call NetworkTest.

Which version gives you bad latency and good latency.

I used Testing build and I got good ping 400ms better then the Live build.

The NetworkTest build had no effect.

I am running “Live” and I get frequent issues with lag.

EDIT: Switched to the “Testing” beta, same issue still impacting me with lag. Its only every so often and is from 500-2500ms delay.

So picked up Boundless when it was still Oort Online back in 2015 and haven’t played much but decided to come back a few days ago to see how things have come along. Sad to say It’s barely playable for me due to slow connect warnings ranging from 400 to over 18000 showing at the top of my screen. I have tried both live and networktest versions and have had little luck with both of them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also currently Connecting to USA East on normal. on the Network test I unknowingly logged into the Australia server and seeing as i’m in Canada that might explain the lag on the Networktest side of it.

For everyone experiencing latency issues please try the latest Testing 31 release.

Hi :slight_smile:

First I have to say that Boundless it the perfect game I imagined I’d like to play. Right now I can’t play it, today it’s really bad with rubber banding :confused:
What is the status of this?

Anyway good luck with this, I know it can be insane effort to find simple bugs, let alone more complicated ones :slight_smile:

You can find my results here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1szxR2xQvepOXpsaDdMR3Bja1k?usp=sharing
Seems I can’t upload attachments since new user :wink:

Can you try reducing your download chunk limit? The details are here:

1 Like

Hey James :slight_smile:
Thanks for the reply. I have already tried all possible options. Even with Min(1mb) it’s the same.

Are you on a planet/server local to you?

1 Like

The ping log showed your getting up to 2.5 second pings to that server which will be unplayable.

Reply from 54.88.128.84: bytes=32 time=126ms TTL=46
Reply from 54.88.128.84: bytes=32 time=311ms TTL=46
Reply from 54.88.128.84: bytes=32 time=2510ms TTL=46
Reply from 54.88.128.84: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=46

and a packet loss
Ping statistics for 54.88.128.84:
Packets: Sent = 187, Received = 186, Lost = 1 (0% loss),

Worth rerunning the test to see if you get similar results.

Are you playing on wifi or a wired connection? Trying wired might help. Also is anything else stressing your connection (streaming etc).

And where are you based? The server is in eastern USA.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for help :slight_smile:
I found a culprit. It’s vpn client, not running, but just being loaded in background. Seems like it overrides standard network interface with some virtual custom implementation, so it catches traffic even when not connected. Closing it completely fixed everything, works now on Max settings.
Sorry for trouble :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No worries! Glad you’re able to play now!

1 Like

ho ho ho - enjoy now - and there’s lot to :sunglasses:

I’m experiencing terrible lag when I’m fighting a swarm of cuttletrunks/spitters or when I’m near a huge lava lake. I tested this out. I leave the swarm/lake area, my ping goes to normal. I go back near the swarm/lake, ping shoots up to 8000ms. :sweat_smile:

It’s a secret weapon of high tier creatures. They attack you with lag high ping. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

My bits as requested by @vdragon :

1. Longer ping

Your connection should be good enough to play the game smoothly.

Could you:

1. Start Boundless.
  2. Turn on the debugging information with ‘.’.
  3. Share a screen shot once the first Sanctum portal pops open.
  4. Enter the world and let the game finish downloading all the chunks. (You can see this information on the right of the debugging information.)
  5. Play the game and capture a screen shot once the red connection warning appears.

So I’ve made a discovery and I’m actually struggling to get the Slow Network warning message since realising this!

Lowering Chunk Download Rate makes things worse! As I’ve said previously and @james confirmed above, my connection is definitely fast enough to support boundless, my rubberbanding issue will be due to WiFi packet loss instead of bandwidth.

The issue in lowering Chunk Download Rate is that it drags out the amount of time it takes to download chunks, which leads to a generally increased number of packets (combined with the entity info packets). I’m finding that increasing Chunk Download Rate to Max shortens the amount of time it takes to download chunks drastically, and so the amount of packets flowing consistently back and forth is lowered, leaving more room for entity packets.

The result is less packet loss and less rubberbanding.

2 Likes