Release 156: HUD, Creatures AI and Butchering!

This update is accessible via the “Live” release of Boundless on Steam.

Please report all issues discovered with the update to this support thread.

Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.

Release Notes:

• Creatures + Combat:
    • Added AI steering system:
      • Creatures will now attempt to walk around an obstacle rather than straight at it.
      • Creatures are far less likely to fall off cliffs.
    • Creatures are now more likely to try and jump onto sloped blocks.
    • Creatures drop shadow is now underneath them when they die.
    • Creatures now drop items when the corpse is hit.
      • Multiple players can hit the same creature to get their drops.
      • Creatures will now always drop at least one item.
      • A particle effect is played to show if the creature has any drops to collect.
    • Fix fall animation not triggering when cuttletrunk dies.
    • Increased target break range on spitter and wildstock to 30m.
  • GUI + HUD:
    • Added damage numbers when the creatures are hit.
    • Added “Use tool to break blocks to open warp” hint to tell players how to open warps.
    • Clamp first person item positions for really wide screen aspect ratio, e.g. 21:9.
    • Fix not consuming the mouse down event when clicking to regain focus.
    • Fix crash caused by holding down the left mouse button and scrolling the mouse wheel at the same time.
    • Fix crash caused by interaction with plinths when Interface Scale was set to Large.
    • Fix issue where damage information appears twice caused by exploding hoppers.
    • GUI menu optimisations for changing tabs and wobble
    • Planet markers are rendered on the planets showing your stored locations when the players aim them with the totum tool.
    • Updated region compass information:
      • It shows ??? if the closest region has not been discovered yet.
      • The direction displayed takes the region as the reference. (North of X, means that the player has to go south to find the region X)
      • Changed EAST SOUTH to SOUTHEAST etc.
  • Engine:
    • Added code to ask AMD to select the high performance GPU in Intel + AMD GPU setups.

Known Issues:

The following items are known issues in this release.

• [new] Assigning both mouse buttons to ‘Use Left Hand Option’ will disable the left mouse button.
  • [new] Attacking corpses of smaller Wildstock with a Totem may occasionally cause a crash.
  • Buying plinths that had wanted items set before v151 have unset them. Sorry. Going forward they will be fine.
  • Chat text overlaps with HUD Text in the centre of the screen.
  • Entity rendering will not always work correctly when there are multiple warps very close together, or where a warp opens up to a location very near where the entrance is.
  • Gem grappling hooks retract automatically when hanging.
  • Opening or closing doors and trapdoors when standing too close to them will restrict player movement. To get out of the situation, interact with the door or trapdoor again.
  • Shift-clicking an item from the selling plinth will show odd numbers and will not always go in the shopping basket.
  • Shift-clicking and dragging on the coin icons from within the trading menus may cause a crash.
  • Some Extractor machines lack animation.
  • Some interactive blocks (crafting table, machine, beacon control) have become corrupted during the migration. This will result in at best those blocks not being able to be interacted with, at worst the game crashing when interacting with those blocks. To fix the issue the block(s) in question need to be re-placed. In the case of anything other than a beacon control the block can simply be broken, picked up, and then re-placed. In the case of a beacon control this will work, although it would result in all the plots having to be re-placed one at a time and during that process the contents being unprotected. A better workaround for a beacon control is to craft a new beacon control, place that, and then break the old one, which will keep the beacon’s plots placed throughout the process.
  • [new] Some menu options are cut off at the top and bottom.
  • The recipes are not final.
  • [new] ‘Workbench Construction’ achievement not triggered after completion.
  • Z-fighting with some items (workbench and other machines) when placed underwater.

Release 156.1

Resolved Known Issues:

• Attacking corpses of smaller Wildstock with a Totem may occasionally cause a crash.

Portals coming in Release 157 next week.

18 Likes

This is so Sweet!

1 Like

Can’t wait to fire this up later! :smile:

This seems cool but maybe not super intuitive. Is it being added to the tutorial system?[quote=“james, post:1, topic:6519”]
Portals coming in Release 157 next week.
[/quote]

Super wow hype!

3 Likes

This is suppose to disappear after harvest right? So far it stays until the corpse despawns… for me at least.

Oh and love the new flowers… at least im about 85% sure they were not 3d last night… hmm O.o

I love the stack breaking changes, thank you!

Stack breaking changes? Do Share =)

Oh do you mean stack splinting? Guess i’ll go see for myself lol

Yea stack splinting, it is more seems like it is more likely to get one. I could just be crazy though.

Boing - updated OP for 156.1.

Wow! You guys have come a long way…

@james, are there any guardrails in place to prevent other players nearby from stealing your drops? For example if they walk by right as you hit the corpse? I could see this popping up as an issue in the future.

This was covered in detail here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those drops are just for you! Other players cant pick them up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know someone mentioned this a while back but it is a bit odd that the world’s don’t have north and south poles. The north and south on the compass are absolute when they should really be relative to poles…

1 Like

will the sun rotate the planets more natural way at some point or keep it the way it is now? for me its little off compared to the moon planets rotation axis.

Because the worlds aren’t spheres (though they may be rendered as such in the sky), they’re flat squares

3 Likes

:relaxed: Waits patiently for fishing , Boats and chairs to sit in with a bucket next to him to catch those big boys

3 Likes

Fishing , Boats or even Small Ships for multiple player would be so insane! This would give our Town a real purpose! :slight_smile:

And purpose to my shipyard.

1 Like