This update is accessible via the “Live” release of Boundless on Steam.
Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.
This will be the last feature update on Live until we launch the new universe. Feedback is still helpful.
World levels have be altered to:
- Home / Spawn worlds have become Placid worlds.
- Moon worlds have become Inhospitable worlds.
- Ring worlds have become Fierce worlds.
- Crafting + Resources + Equipment:
- Energy use for Chisels reduced by half.
- Natural Blocks on higher level worlds can have armour, which makes them more difficult to break. This is shown as litle shield pictures under the health bar. This is so that the harder-hitting, but slower, tools can be balanced against fast tools.
- Creatures + Combat + Characters:
- Meteorite drops have been changed to give more variety, especially smaller meteorites.
- Meteotire events are now far more varied. There are now 2000 wave variants up from 50 (this probably sounds more exciting than it is). Meteorite difficulty may have changed, particularly meteorites on lower tier planets. This will need more balancing soon.
- Meteorites can now spawn exotic creatures.
- Element boost is now applied before armour calculation to give a better damage on boost.
- Added “Meteorite life” status effect:
- Once the first creature in a meteorite event is killed all players who join the meteorite (at that time or afterwards) will get a meteorite life.
- When players return to the sanctum they lose their meteorite life. Revived players get to keep their meteorite life.
- If players go outside of the meteorite zone they have 10 seconds to return before they lose their meteorite life.
- If there are no players with a meteorite life left then the meteorite is lost and the reward is reduced to the dormant meteorite drops.
- If the meteorite is completed then all players get the full reward (so try to keep players with lives alive!).
- Creatures in the meteorite will periodically target only the players with meteorite lives.
- Reworked combat threat system:
- Threat is now stored per creature in a “hate” list. Hate is scored as the average amount of DPS and scaled up by the “Threat Epic” skill.
- Damaging creatures will add you to their hate list.
- Healing players will add you to the hate list of creatures recently damaged by the healed player.
- Creatures attack the most hated player in their hate list. The hate list is not cleared when players go through portals.
- Tank characters should now find it easier to keep creatures attacking them.
- “Mega Calming Brew” now clears you from all creatures hate lists within 16m.
- “Mega Aggravating Brew” now adds 10,000 hate to all creatures within 16m.
- Sanctum + Tutorial + Objectives + Progression:
- Campfires now expire after two hours, this is to reduce the risk that new players trust them to look after their belongings between sessions.
- Fixed tutorial tooltip about looking up at the planet to choose starting location.
- Preparatory changes for V1.0 game levelling and character balance
- Removed free weekly (debug) skill reset. All skill resets must be purchased via the Exchange.
- You no longer gain cleanse points when levelling up. All cleanse points must be purchased via the Exchange.
- Reduced starting number of character slots to 1. If you already have extra characters you’ll incur a character slot “debt” and will need to purchase slots to cover the existing characters before you will unlock any new character slots. If you delete a character before repaying this debt it will not free up a slot and you will be unable to create a new character without purchasing more slots.
- GUI + HUD:
- Make the entire stamina bar flash when starving.
- Added shields under creatures health bar to show how much armor they have and therefore how much the damage they take is reduced by.
- Moved all chat/status text above player icons.
- New default controls:
- Change view is now on “M” or dpad left.
- Added L2/R2 to quick move left/right on controller.
- Added holster tools on “Z” or dpad down.
- Added “L” for the exchange screen.
- Places screen is now on “P”.
- Character screen is now on “O”.
- SFX + Music:
- Further music mixes.
- Fixed stone chisel.
- Starving and suffocating.
- Reworked grapple loop.
- Improved cpu-side performance of world rendering, especially when using the extreme/ultimate terrain-detail options, and especially for those with 4-core or higher CPUs.
- Adjusted Copper tint to be less similar to Ruby.
- A new set of 255 base palette colors has been created that has a larger range of luminance (white being 9x brighter than black now, rather than just 4x brighter) that will allow creating more contrasting builds even without use of lighting. This has meant the color names have also had to be updated, and we also have had to do another migration to map the previous set of 255 palette colors as best as possible to the new set of 255, so colors of the blocks will again have subtely changed!
- Bug fixes:
- Fixed the skill-based light being multiplied in strength when not holding items in your hand (Was reported as the skill-based light being darker when holding things in your hand, but actually the opposite was true!)
- Fix having to force re-equip slots when exhausting a sub-slot of an equipped smart stack, or unequipping an augment from a slingbow/globe/totem or stacking items into an equipped slot etc etc.
- Fix crashes when trying to use the “change-block-type” forged-chisel on rocks to transform them into sedimentary rocks, if the original rock was “rotated”. Sedimentary rocks do not allow rotation, but we do now allow the conversion to work, and when it is sedimentary it will just not look rotated even though under-the-hood it is (so when changing back to another rock, the new rock will have the same rotation as the original rotated one that was turned into sedimentary would have).
- Fix crash when hitting meteorite crates.
- Fix items could not be moved inside smart stacks.
- Fix forged items could not be put in smart stacks.
- Fix character appearance not being respected for new characters after they leave the sanctum.
- Fixed Founders Totem not functioning like a normal totem in allowing creating locations when shooting planets and showing location markers on planets in the sky.
- Fix dormant meteorite drops not working.
- Fix server crash when forging.
- Fix colour names.
- Fix occasional terrain glitch when strafing.