Release 196: Meteorite Lives!

How about 1 free skill reset per month and 2 skill point resets per level?

Edit: with skill point resets capped at 5 so you can at least modify epics

It really worked well for me without the the light cube.
Basic Torches are cheap enought to craft and don’t require a skill to unlock.
And it cleans up the tutorial nicely which I perceived very positively.

5 Likes

This is counter-intuitive. It may be simplest to implement, but it leads to more confusion and inconsistency when you’re gating major features of a game that are already familiar to players from years of Minecraft and similar games.

Which post?

How does one abuse 2? Are cleanse points account-wide? I figured they were character based so if you get them on an alt it’s only relevant if you care for that alt. (And you have to buy an alt.)

I prefer 1. but I think you could do a hard limit too so that you can’t store too many and avoid resets, and you get enough to tidy up mistakes.
//
As an aside, running through the tutorials on testing I’m struck by the equipment dropping out of hand slots is still there and how much friction it adds to the early game experience.

There is a point where the day / night cycle starts ticking and it’s roughly when you can craft a torch, ie. you’re ready to face night. (I’d have to look at the game code to know the exact trigger.)

Release 196: Meteorite Lives! Which is a Pissed of Collection of Everything else you ignored over the last Months

I made a basic torch just fine without putting points into any crafting skills.

3 Likes

they are not.

they are!

man, you should really play the game, it would answer like half of your questions.

7 Likes

Each new character created gets 1 full reset, and 2 cleanse points. Starting at level 5, you get 1 cleanse point every 5 levels. That’s it. This should allow some experimentation, but it’s mostly there for mistakes made. Anything else should require cubits.

It’s definitely simple. But it doesn’t allow for experimentation.

Each Level you’re given 2 skill points and (say) 1 cleanse point. This means that you can only correct 1 preview selection. This is a fine solution is we want people to modify their selection. But it doesn’t allow them to truly experiment.

I apologize, I based that statement off of what I read someone else say. I didn’t just make it up on my own.

Xaldafax had said this, so I based what I said on that, “The tutorial and initial game play requires you to get certain “crafting” skills to do things like make torches, doors, etc. So a player really does need to put points into crafting because of the game flow even though maybe they don’t want this player to build a true “builder”.”

Given he’s Oortian, I figured that was accurate information, I guess I misinterpreted it.

If it’s experimentation rather than fixing mistakes how about allowing an hour after committing changes to skills to revert them? I realise this may be more costly to code but then people could build out some stuff, playtest it and regress if needed.

1 Like

The point stands, MinerDiggerMan. If you actually played it would help you and us not waste time on someone else’s misinformation. Sometimes you’re drawing that misinformation out because you assume it’s correct, rather than having the experience to say otherwise. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nono, that answered my Question, thank you very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good to hear you all are looking at it.

I lean away from option 2 because honestly not all of us take the time right out of the gate to learn everything on the skill side. So I might just be focusing on a builder spec and then finally when Titans are released I want to play as a Hunter or Tank or something… I will need the ability THEN to learn the skills associated and play with configs… I might have already been level 50 for a year before I decide to do that. So are we going to force people to try all classes and skills out the bat so they don’t lose the chance later? That just doesn’t feel right.

Option 1 feels too much. Maybe 1 every few levels? Option three, I’m not sure.

Can we make “cleansing” a crafting item? That way I can go make something, take the brew, and then get some points or clear a skill? Like I “forget” it… or something. This personally feels more in line with the game. I want to clear many skills, then I make many potions… and maybe they are a bit harder that just starter world stuff… This way things are not wasted, we don’t have to worry about the right balance, and everyone can do it when they want but they don’t have to grind whole levels and lose out on other things to get some skill clean up.

2 Likes

I agree with the change and ease of “day” for tutorial… but the only sad thing is this – the cubes were AWESOME to look at. Can we keep them as craftable? so we can just have them if we liked? Or make a lantern that kind of looks like that to put in the house?

4 Likes

I should have probably stated things better. I meant game flow can make people do stuff especially when we are told to use a journal and things like put skills in builder are brought up. So that can lead to people making decisions to spend points where they can regret it later. We need to be careful with that.

2 Likes

I don’t think players have 10,000 Coins early in the game.

I’m not a fan of real-time based features - because it implies that there is a universal pattern of play. Maybe I like to binge a game solid for 5 days straight, maybe I can only play once per week. Anything real-time based will not be suitable for everyone.

I agree. It’s simpler and cleaner.
Thanks.

It wasn’t simpler to implement. There was lots of complaining about implementing it.

You should give it a try and let us know if you think it’s gating major features. IMO it’s impossible to evaluate an implementation without experiencing it. How something feels in practice is often very different to how you imagine it’ll feel during design.

You could create an Alt, then abuse the infinite resets to constantly switch skills. Once you hit the leave just recreate the character.

Maybe or maybe not exploitable - but in general special cases often expose exploits.

I don’t really understand what you’re saying here.

Yes - we’ve added a range of brews, foods, and bombs to the game. They’re not required. But give you lots of options to customise how you play.

The recent updates have introduce a broad spectrum of colours per block, introduced correct sRGB textures, fixed the HDR rendering, and tweaked all the lighting values. It doesn’t look great. And we’re working hard to make the future updates look amazing. We have a range of new day/night cycles coming. New recipes for selecting block colours on the new worlds. New lighting balances. I wish it had been perfect first release.

We teleport you away from your Corpse because players would often die, respawn at the same point, and die again. They weren’t able to “get away” from the thing that was killing them. The aim is to spawn you away but still be able to see where you died. Players regularly tried to abuse the “bump portal” action to achieve exactly what this is doing for you.

Not sure what you mean.

(I don’t really want to start a conversation about this here - given the number of threads that are already on going. But all the items in the Exchange can be acquired by simply playing the game. [Excluding Gleam Club and Worlds in the future.])

The German Translation was created by a professional translation company. If it is cringy then that is extremely disappointing.

Could you point out some examples where you think the translation is bad? I will raise these with the professional translators.

We’re working hard. It’s 11pm on a Friday and I’m here working on Boundless.

This has been considered. “Get a refund!” The problem is it assume a style of play.

My personal preference is that the skills are explained better and we give 1 cleanse point per level - indefinitely. The aim is never to punish players. We’re supposed to be having fun!

We plan to find another usage for the item. Any ideas?
(I had considered the idea of using them to allow post placement rotation of blocks + items. But no one else got very exited, preferring an improvement in previewing before placement.)

8 Likes

My play time is pretty erratic too, sometimes I’m able to get online a few day’s in a row, other times it might not from one weekend to the next. I’m not suggesting it has to specifically be once a month just a reasonable amount of time, whether it’s in game hours or real time, that will stop someone from exploiting it but still allow people to know that they can mess up builds and have the chance to retry without necessarily grinding through levels.

Edit: I don’t think there is likely to be a solution that is suitable for everyone.

Edit: We do appreciate your hard work, at least I’m pretty sure most of us do (although it might not always seem that way)

1 Like