Release 215: New player polish!

This update is accessible via the “Live” release of Boundless on Steam.

Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.

The update should automatically download on PlayStation 4.

Please close and restart Boundless on PS4 to encourage the system to check for an update.

Please report all issues discovered with the update with a new post in the #support thread.

Overview:

The aim of this release is to fix a collection of rough edges that hit many new players.

The most significant change for all players is that warping home is now free.

Release 215:

Sanctum + Tutorial + Objectives + Progression:

• Added an arrow that shows the steps in the tutorial to make following the tutorial easier.
  • Added custom lighting to Warp Conduits during new user tutorial.
  • Hide non-critical tips during the tutorial flow.
  • Add an error log if you try to interact with a campfire, informing the user they cannot be interacted with or refuelled, and to use a beacon controller instead.
  • On reaching level 10 and claiming rewards we now show a popup asking for feedback on the game.
  • Make warping to your home beacon be free, rather than just allowing coins to go negative. All players can now always warp to their home beacon for free. This is to help players who get lost, or stuck on worlds with dangerous atmospheres.
  • “Mapping the World” Objective can now be unlocked sooner by completing “Mountain High, Cave Deep” or having a Furnace in the inventory.
  • The Core Objective “If you Build it They Will Come” has had its Prestige requirement to complete dropped to 150 from 200.

GUI + HUD:

• Add various icons and markers to the atlas when held up in front of you, as long as it is an atlas of the current world. Any settlements and players as well as your home and any currently set destination on the compass will be replicated onto the atlas with the same visual icons, as well as the top-50 settlements, and any settlements in your Places menu, and will also show any other players on the world even if not on the compass. The atlas will also show your saved locations and beacons from your Places menu with the usual planet-in-the-sky marker icons. No icons or markers will be shown if the atlas has any resources equipped.
  • Made the atlas larger when held up in front of you to get a better view.
  • Upon dying you will now be given a second choice, to return home via the sanctum. Technically this is not something new, as you could always do this by interacting with the second warp, but many users did not understand this. If you have the option to “revive” then this will replace the usual option to return to the sanctum.
  • The game now supports Xbox One and Xbox 360 Controllers with relevant Icons.
  • We will now only ever show the 3 most recent news items at the start of the game.
  • Added an exchange promotion for upcoming special worlds.
  • Added an exchange promotional item for our upcoming Gleambow Racing event.
  • Exchange promotional items will cycle on entering the screen if there are multiple to be shown.

Bug fixes:

• Fixed a bug which inhibited progress in the tutorial for characters who have gleam club.
  • Fix beacon refuel text when you need to get more plots from the Exchange.
  • Fixed early tutorial so that the correct number of items are reported that need to be collected.
  • Fix a crash with out of date clients when new time limited events are added.
  • Fixed a client issue when returning home after death that could leave the client stuck in the sanctum if the connection to the server was lost (only applied to returning home after death).
  • Fixed client crash when receiving rewards for >= 20 levels.
31 Likes

:sunglasses: is this real?

3 Likes

My favourite addition if works as intented!!! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Boo I’m stuck at work

1 Like

Is it too early to ask what these are :eyes:

Are we assuming that this allows us to focus more accurately on to hotspots?

I think. Also i hope this is for better view general.
That you could see what kinda blocks there is.

I wouldnt get my hopes up.
My presumption would be that it’s the same image, just larger on the screen.
High res maps would take a lot more bandwidth

4 Likes

Im always optimistic heh. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Us old fogies with glasses welcome either change tbh.

5 Likes

Once again this looks like an amazing QoL and new player friendly/friendlier update.
Awesome Job and keep it coming.

3 Likes

Sad to see we have to wait 3 more weeks to chase those gleambows! Kinda thought next week’ish, ah well…

Good update for new players, now start marketing the heck out of it please! Need more people to buy my stuffs! :smiley:

Will need to check the atlas, forgot to do that earlier, expecting this to be the best thing for me at least of this update!

And, hmm, I so, so, so wanna know more about those Special Worlds! Good to see they aren’t marked as an event, so they are permanent!

Tho I wish what ‘soon’ was :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a brilliant improvement, thank you. Nice touch remembering to disable it when resources are added to the atlas too.

For curious folks who can’t log on yet:

Edit: that’s a screenshot from 2560x1440, atlas held up, at 100% resolution iirc.

9 Likes

0c teleport home from anywhere.

Best QoL improvement ever. Next time I’m trapped and rubber-band teleporting 20 blocks at a time in a random direction on an EU server I won’t have to die but once.

Also going to shave a lot of time off of inventory full dumping.

Great work on these updates!
Thanks!

6 Likes

I love it! Now the atlas is an upgrade to the compass when it comes to finding civilization

3 Likes

Hello! devs i love the new features for the new players its awsome.
But im not a new player. when it comes to old players i hate there is no way to opt out of the trurtorial!!!
I dont want to be forced to go thru the turtarial 9 times more just becaus i have 10 characters

BTW is Compass fix joining us any time soon?

4 Likes

Warp home for free finally this will help A lot

I wish warping to locations and friends were free where dos all the warping money go to :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If all warps were free there wouldn’t be a real need for portals though.

2 Likes