Release Schedule

I see where you are coming from, but the game is fully funded. Due to this we really do not need to raise anymore funding, we need features. I would like to see features over updates about features.

Totally agree with you. Many of my friends are thinking that this game will be played by their grandchildren…

Totally agree with you. The main reason I bought B< and not another EA title a year ago was because I saw how active the devs interacted with their community (which they still do) and how frequently they posted/updated their progress (which they did a lot less in the past half year).
Another big reason for buying the game was that the devs shared concepts that were pretty early and unfinished but it was fun and interesting to discuss them, at least for us (the community). Maybe not always as interesting for the devs. (This awesome part of B< seems to be completely gone though)
I know that the devs are atm really busy with core things like the PS4 port that we as players don´t really notice but a rough heads-up on what is going on once in a while would be really interesting, even if it is just technical stuff alá optimizing etc.
(Just to make it clear: I´m not complaining about the amount of content released but the amount of information/concepts shown)

2 Likes

-1, there is much more to a game being successful than being “fully funded.”

Games like Minecraft, Kerbal, and Warframe would not be as successful as they are without all of their good PR and community interaction.

Look at what happened to SOE, in particular SWG. A large portion of their failure was egotistical game development and horrible PR and Community involvement. They had many CSR quit on them because of the bad choices SOE made and refused to involve the community. The game had a very active player community, it was the best sandbox game of it’s time, and one of the strongest IPs of all time. Yet they still managed to drive it 6 feet under and cover it in cement.

1 Like

Since I also asked this kind of question once, I feel like wanting to participate in this request.

But first of all I wanted to mention, that dev’s are having a lot more communication with the community then every other game I played yet. I think menpower and available time are limitating factors. So I would not compare you with huge companies. For the amount of people you are, you are doing a great job.

But I think informing in shape of a roadmap, close goals, plans for realeasing new updates and it’s content are very valuable and motivating information. You should definetly put more time on that, because you have an active and interested community and they need feed. Also wondered about the minimum of updates at the homepage. I think that’s far more an information spreading plattform for you, then the forum.
People who are very interested in the game, it’s mechanics and about the chance of having influence on it’s developement will read and work out in the forum. But people who just think about the game, because it sounds interesting. And the ones who probably want to buy the finished version, they will definetly just look onto the homepage. And the homepage seems to be designed once (in a pretty nice way) but not developing on with content.

However, the surveys and other community interactive things should definetly also live on. They are a nice way, to work with a game, not ready yet. And since this game is all about creativity, people who already paid to be able to play, probably are one of best idea sources you can get. Using this source by surveys like you do is a very good thing! And do you see all this creativity inside them, identifying with your game? ALl this pictures painted, all this graphics created just to work together with you? Very creative unique community in my opinion!
Though I never now, when I will find something ingame, what I currently voted for… When I see the machines and engines, I’m like: “Wow, I want to try this out, looks so amazing!” But I feel like: “Calm down your enthusiasm, who knows when you see more of it” and all my happyness about it is nearly gone again or worse gets forgotten.

That’s enough of my simple thoughts. Everyone else in here said pretty useful things too. I think, dev’s, it’s time to turn the volume of boundless louder.

3 Likes

I’ve been meaning to share a dev update for a while - to let everyone know what is going on. I’ll hopefully get something out in the next couple of days.

If you have any dev-update specific questions add them to this thread and I’ll try to answer them.

(If you have any more general FAQ questions - add them to the other request for questions thread.)

4 Likes

True. PR is good, but without solid gameplay the game will not do well. What killed SWG for me was the combat “upgrade”, not the super bad PR.

I agree with @Hexblood at this point. there is much more then being “fully funded”. You said you like to see features but do you know:

1. how the features will looke like ?
  2. how they change gameplay ?
  3. how can you interact with them ? (e.g. how do you use a power core ?)

i don’t think you can. at the moment, we se features if they are ready to ship regardless of whether we like the gameplay mechanism behin them or not. i don’t saw a “feature-list” set since B< has been fully funded… on the old page we hat a “planed features” list and we where at least able to talk about the features and name them … Now we do not even have that. Do we get:

1. all of this - original planed - features ?
  2. do we get more ?
  3. do we get less ?

Noone can say … and that’s a point where my bile is high.

That is exactly what my post is all about … if the PR has been better and if you’d (the community) be previously informed about the update you have had a chance to stop the update or tell the devs the idea is ■■■■!
one can only solve those problems which are known!

The dev promised us:

but i can’t see where we have been “involved in the development” in the last half year. we were fobbed off with concept arts!!! (noone knows when we’ll ever see them in game like @Smoothy said). the major part of the development (gameplay mechanics) is hidden from us! and we lost the surveys for no good reason (i’m happy we get one for the beacons) …

sad but true :frowning: I wish the devs would return to their old behavior. A community - especially in such a project - can never get enough informations.

As said, KSP did exactly this. i don’t think that one or two pages of text a week (about “planed & done thinks”) will delay the work. If the @devs share the task like in this example (neglected the topics - only fillers) they won’t loose any productivity

An other great project i backed is “Blocks Watch”. They made an excelent example on how accountability with respect to the cummunity have to look like. They are answering questions every 2-3 Days in an excelent QA Style. They also take the inputs from the community to make the product a better one.

I miss above all transparency!

This will be my election campaign motto. :stuck_out_tongue: I totally agree with you @Vastar !

@james: thank you :smile: let me start with a lot of questions

Last but not least …
I think we - the EA backers - are like Sony customers/shareholders of B< and you have an accountability to us!

Please excuse my directness

3 Likes

True words … I’m not mad or upset, but the last post is somehow a summary of my feelings.

1 Like

Frankly, we EA backers are only tiny - unofficial shareholders by comparison. Look at the trove of concept art, developer feed-back and support you get from your tiny “share” invested in this game’s development. If you desire even greater transparency than what your contribution is getting you, then I suggest you put your wallet behind your demands and pickup the Oortian package. That monthly skype call is as I understand it, essentially a monthly share holder’s conference.

I personally am highly satisfied with the transparency and feedback I am getting as a backer, or “shareholder” as you put it.

2 Likes

Three months past and no new FAQ section … a lot of discussions (with really interesting content) based on outdated information or without @dev response … nothing more to say!

I wrote the rest as PM because it’s going off-topic in my opinion.

I’m with @Havok40k here! I am totally satisfied with what we have been getting. Especially over the holiday period (I didn’t expect anything!).

2 Likes

Thanks @james I appreciate the response! (and my apologies for opening pandoras box! :flushed:)

1 Like

Just to point out, Release 115 (which introduced Beacons and Trading) was made available back in December 2015, which was last month.

lol that was last year

Okay … so now the offical way … i made an edit because i think you read a bit fast over it …

EDIT: Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, you did mention Release 115, but I wasn’t sure from reading your original post whether you knew when it was released or not. Still, you clarified your post here, which makes more sense now.

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Question Appeal - Community questions for the next devlog update

yep … same problem here … but the wiki post is a cool idea :slight_smile: thanks again @james

@Stretchious: i don’t add more questions ATM. So you can edit without problems.

2 Likes

Thanks @Heurazio - I’m done for now - will let someone else have a go :smiley:

1 Like